Friday, October 25, 2013

Drink Containers

Amphora
It would have been stored overnight, I assumed, in an amphora, buried to the neck in the cool earth. Sometimes Earth girls, first brought to Gor, do not understand why so many of these two-handled, narrow necked vessels have such a narrow, usually pointed base, for they cannot stand upright on such a base. They have not yet learned that these vessels are not intended to stand upright. Rather they are commonly fitted into a storage hole, buried there to keep their contents cool, the necks about the earth. The pointed base, of course, presses into the soft earth at the bottom of the storage hole.
Mercenaries of Gor page 257

Black Wine Pot
Eta piled several of the hot, tiny eggs, earlier kept fresh in cool sand within the cave, on a plate, with heated yellow bread, for him. I grasping the pot with a rag and both hands, poured him a handled, metal tankard of the steaming black brew, coffee or black wine.
Slave Girl of Gor page 74

Black Wine Vessel
On the tray, too, was the metal vessel which had contained the black wine, steaming and bitter, from far Thentis, famed for its tarn flocks, and the small yellow-enameled cups from which we had drunk the black wine, its spoons and sugars, a tiny bowl of mint sticks, and the softened, dampened cloths on which we had wiped our fingers.
Explorers of Gor page 10

"You may serve the black wine now, in small cups, Lola," said Miss Henderson.
"Yes, Mistress," whispered Lola.
This was a delicacy. I had purchased some, some days ago, but we had not yet served it. In a few Ehn Lola returned with the tray, with the vessel of steaming liquid, the creams and sugars, the tiny cups, and the small spoons for mixing and measuring.
"Delicious," said Miss Henderson.
"Thank you, Mistress," said Lola. She then drew back a bit, and knelt, to be unobtrusive, and yet available, instantly, to serve, should free folk wish aught.
Rogue of Gor page 132

Susan then approached the diners. "Black wine, Masters?" she asked.
"Yes," said Drusus Rencius.
"Yes," said Publius.
Susan then turned to me and snapped her fingers. "Sheila," she called.
"Yes, Mistress," I said. I took the vessel of black wine, removing it from its warmer, and put it on its tray, that already bearing the tiny cups, the creams and sugars, the spices, the napkins and spoons. I then carried the tray, with the black wine, hot and steaming, to the table and put it down there. Susan then, as "first slave," took the orders and did the measuring and the mixing; I, as "second slave," did the pouring. Afterwards I returned the tray to the serving table, and the vessel of black wine to its warmer. I then joined Susan, kneeling beside her in the vicinity of the serving table.
Kajira of Gor pages 405-406

Bota
Three male house slaves stumbled by, crowned with odorous garlands woven of the Brak Brush. They were passing about a bota of paga and, between dancing and trying to hold one another up, managed to weave unsteadily by. One of them looked at me and from his eyes I judged he may have seen at least three of me and offered me a swig of the bota, which I took. "Kajuralia," said he, nearly falling over backwards, being rescued by one of his fellows, who seemed fortunately to be falling in the opposite direction at the same time. I gave him a silver coin for more paga. "Kajuralia," I said, and turned about, leaving while they collapsed on one another.
Assassin of Gor page 223

I stripped away my clothes and took a cloak from Thurnock. Someone gave me a swallow of paga from a leather bota.
Raiders of Gor page 171

"Fetch me paga," he said.
"Yes, Master," she said.
I went to the wagon to fetch a large bota of paga, which had been filled from one of the large jugs.
Lana and Ute, too, went to the wagon, to fetch other botas, so commanded by other guards.
Soon I returned to the firelight, the heavy bota of paga, on its strap, slung over my shoulder, Ute and Lana, with theirs, behind me.
Captive of Gor page 112

The guard handed me a piece of meat and I took it in my teeth kneeling beside him, where he sat cross-legged, I lifting and squeezing the bota of paga, filled from one of the large jugs, guiding the stream of liquid into his mouth.
Captive of Gor page 113

"Drink," he said. He thrust the horn nozzle of a leather bota of water between my teeth. I almost choked. He withdrew the nozzle and capped the bota, replacing it in his saddle pack. I closed my eyes, miserable. I had been fed and watered.
Captive of Gor page 256

Bottle, Paga
Flaminius looked at me, with certain drunken awe. Then he rose in his green quarters tunic and went to a chest in his room, from which he drew forth a large bottle of paga. He opened it and, to my surprise, poured two cups. He took a good mouthful of the fluid from one of the cups, and bolted it down, exhaling with satisfaction.
"You seem to me, from what I have seen and heard," I said, "a skilled Physician."
He handed me the second cup, though I wore the black tunic.
Assassin of Gor page 265

"Where is the Paga?" I demanded of one of the girls. Startled, I saw, now that she stood forth from the shadows, that she had no nose.
"There, Master!" said she, pointing to a basket of bottles under the large cutting table in the center of the room.
I went to the basket and took out a bottle, a large one.
Assassin of Gor page 271

I took another bottle of paga from the basket and tossed it to the girl without a nose, who had directed me to the paga.
"Thank you, Master," said she, smiling, going back to her ring. I saw her nudge the girls on the left and right of her, "Paga," I heard her whisper.
"Kajuralia," I said to her.
"Kajuralia," she said.
Assassin of Gor page 272

Now, paga bottle in hand, I passed guards and found myself walking down the narrow iron runways over the pens below, now filled with drunken slaves, some sleeping, some sitting stupefied in the center of their pen, some singing brokenly to themselves, some trying to crawl again to the trough to lap there at the paga mixed with their water.
Assassin of Gor page 272

"It is good paga," said he. He took two or three more swallows, and then simply held the bottle, looking at it.
Assassin of Gor page 273

I heard the guard take another swallow of the paga, a long swallow, and then he sat there again, holding the bottle.
Assassin of Gor page 273

A girl came in from the kitchens, followed by the man who had gone to fetch her. It was the girl to whom I had, some days ago, on the evening of my capture, tossed a bottle of paga.
Assassin of Gor page 316

Nude slave girls, wrists chained, hurried about. The proprietor, sweating, aproned, was tipping yet another great bottle of paga in its sling, filling cups, that they might be borne to the drinkers.
Raiders of Gor pg 105

I threw a silver tarsk, taken from what we had obtained from the slavers in the marsh, to the proprietor of the paga tavern, and took in return one of the huge bottles of paga, of the sort put in the pouring sling, and reeled out of the tavern, making my way along the narrow walkway lining the canal, toward the quarters taken by my men, Thurnock and Clitus, with our slaves.
I had pounded on the beamed door of our quarters.
"Paga!" I had cried. "I bring paga!"
Thurnock took down the beams from the door, and swung it open.
"Paga!" he shouted, pleased, seeing the great bottle.
Raiders of Gor 111

Before we set out we broke open the great bottle of paga, and Thurnock, Clitus and I clashed goblets and emptied them of their swirling fires. Then we forced each of the girls, choking and sputtering, to themselves upturn a goblet, swilling down as best they could the fiery draught. I recall Midice standing there in her silk, the leather on her wrist, shaking, coughing, paga on her mouth, looking at me with fear.
Raiders of Gor 113

The proprietor, when I entered, lifted his head from the counter, behind which hung a great bottle of paga in its pouring sling.
I threw down a copper tarn disk and he tilted the great bottle.
I took my goblet of paga to a table and sat down, cross-legged behind it.
I did not want to drink. I wanted only to be alone. I did not even want to think. I wanted only to be alone.
Raiders of Gor page 120

I observed Inge filling the paga goblet of one of the huntsmen. She knelt closer to him than she needed to. Her lips were parted. Her eyes shone. Her hands, slightly, shook on the paga bottle.
Captive of Gor page 300

The beast returned from the cabinet with two glasses and a bottle.
"Is that not the paga of Ar?" I asked.
"Is it not one of your favorites?" he asked. "See," he said. "It has the seal of the brewer, Temus."
"That is remarkable," I said. "You are very thoughtful."
"I have been saving it," he told me.
"For me?" I asked.
"Of course," he said. "I was confident you would get through."
"I am honored," I said.
"I have waited so long to talk to you," he said.
He poured two glasses of paga, and reclosed the bottle. We lifted the glasses, and touched them, the one to the other.
Beasts of Gor pages 371-372

Bottle, Wine
We purchased a bottle of Ka-la-na wine and shared it as we walked through the streets.
Tarnsman of Gor page 133

"Give him Ka-la-na wine," prompted Elizabeth.
Aphris got up and fetched not a skin, but a bottle, of wine, Ka-la-na wine, from the Ka-la-na orchards of great Ar itself. She also brought a black, red-trimmed wine crater from the Isle of Cos.
"May I serve you?" she asked.
Kamchak's eyes glinted. "Yes," he said.
She poured wine into the crater and replaced the bottle. Kamchak had watched her hands very carefully. She had had to break the seal on the bottle to open it. The crater had been upside down when she picked it up. If she had poisoned the wine she had certainly done so deftly.
Nomads of Gor pages 150-151

Many of the bottles of wine were gone and those that were not had been shattered against the floor, or against the wagon poles, leaving dark stains on the poles and on the hides behind them.
Nomads of Gor page 267

"I am sorry," said I, "Sura," I looked upon her. "I was looking for Ka-la-na."
She looked at me, bewildered.
"It is in the last chest," she whispered.
I went to the last chest along the wall and opened it, finding a bottle and some bowls. "You are a fortunate slave," I said, "to have Ka-la-na in your quarters."
Assassin of Gor pages 251-252

I turned suddenly into the kitchen in which the food for the hall of Cernus is prepared. Some startled slaves leaped up, each chained by one ankle to her ring; but most slept, drunk; one or two, too drunk to notice me, were sitting against the wall, their left ankles chained to their slave rings, a bottle of Ka-la-na in their grasp, their hair falling forward.
Assassin of Gor page 271

The guards had liked us, muchly, and had apparently expected that they would for, to our delight, they had purchased a small bottle of Ka-la-na wine, in a wicker basket, which they had permitted us, swallow by swallow to share.
Captive of Gor page 114

Meanwhile the Ka-la-na bottle was brought forth again by another guard. He held it for Lana to drink, and then passed it to Ute and myself. There was a bit left and I gave it back to him, and he handed it to the now-belled Lana. With a barbaric jangle of bells she threw back her head and finished the bottle.
Captive of Gor page 115

One of the men, glancing about the hut, said, "Ka-la-na!" He pointed to the side of the hut.
There, tied together by the necks, were some six bottles of Ka-la-na.
He went to them and looked at them, lifting them. They were in dark bottles. He turned them about. "From the vineyards of Ar," he whistled. It was choice Ka-la-na.
"The panther girls were fortunate in their spoils," said one of Arn's men.
Hunters of Gor page 122

The man, one of Arn's, who had seen the Ka-la-na by the wall, crawled over to it. He pulled the bottles into his lap, and began to work at the cork of one of them.
I looked at Arn.
"Do not become drunk," said Arn to the man.
"I shall not," he said. With his sleen knife he had pried the cork up a bit from the bottle. He then, slowly, with his fingers and teeth, managed to withdraw the cork.
"Later," I said.
He looked at Arn, and Arn nodded. The man, irritably, thrust back the cork in the bottle.
Hunters of Gor page 123

"We shall open only this bottle," I said. "The others we may enjoy later."
They would not become drunk. One bottle of Ka-la-na among ten men is nothing. Ka-la-na is not paga or the strong beer of the north.
I did not, on the other hand, want the entire stock of Ka-la-na emptied.
Hunters of Gor page 124

I studied the footprints, where they were clear. About some of the furs there was the remains of a feast, and empty bottles. The bottles had been of Marlenus' own stock, brought from Ar. I knew he did not, when outside of Ar drink strange wines.
Hunters of Gor page 190

The bottles of wine, brought by one of the paga slaves, were slung, knotted, about her neck.
Hunters of Gor page 233

I glanced back to see Thurnock lowering Cara over the side, with the wine and sack of cups, into the waiting arms of her master, Rim.
He did not carry her, but set her on her feet in the water, and then turned after me.
Thurnock had tied the two bottles of wine about her neck, that it might be easier for her, and she held the sack of cups over her head, that they might not be washed with sea water. It was thus that she made her way to shore.
Hunters of Gor page 21

Bronze Two-Handled Paga Vessel
I glanced across the room. A few yards away, on the tiles, in her brief silk, the two-handled, bronze paga vessel beside her, knelt the slave girl, waiting to be summoned.
Hunters of Gor page 11

The slave girl, in her brief silk, stood, holding the two-handled bronze paga vessel, that she might look down upon him.
Hunters of Gor page 13

The slave girl was speechless, her eyes wide. She took a step backward, clutching the two-handled paga vessel. She shook her head.
Hunters of Gor page 14

I had not seen her before. She carried a vessel of paga. She was barefoot on the tiles.
Hunters of Gor page 56

In moments, the girl approached, carrying her vessel of paga.
"Paga," I said.
Elizabeth Cardwell poured me paga.
Hunters of Gor page 56

Canteen
I also gave her some water from the guard's canteen.
Hunters of Gor page 254

When she finished, I lifted her in my left arm, giving her to drink from the canteen.
Hunters of Gor page 254

I fed from the tabuk strips in my wallet, looking out to sea, and then drank from the canteen of the guard.
Hunters of Gor page 254

I took water from the canteen, and ate strips of tabuk meat from my wallet.
Hunters of Gor page 255

When I had satisfied my thirst, there was little left in the canteen. I threw it to Cara. She and Tina then finished the bit of water remaining. When I had satisfied my hunger on the tabuk strips, there was but one left. I tore it in two and threw half to each of the girls.
Hunters of Gor page 255

Flask
"Take what I can use," I said, sorting out the articles in the pouches. Most importantly, I found a compass-chronometer, some rations, two water flasks, bowstrings, binding fiber, and some oil for the mechanism of the crossbow.
Tarnsman of Gor page 105

Toward morning we ate some of the rations and refilled the water flasks at a secluded spring.
Tarnsman of Gor page 112

In the morning we left our camp early. A swallow of water from the flask and small, dry berries gathered from the nearby shrubbery were our only sustenance.
Tarnsman of Gor page 115

The first thing I did was unseal one of the two water flasks and open the dried rations. And there on that windy ledge, in that abode of the tarn, I ate the meal that satisfied me as no other hand ever done, though it consisted only of some mouthfuls of water, some stale biscuits, and a wrapper of dried meat.
Tarnsman of Gor page 144

I went to his locker near the mat and got out his Ka-la-na flask, taking a long draught myself and then shoving it into his hands. He drained the flask in one drink and wiped his hand across his beard, stained with the red juice of the fermented drink.
Tarnsman of Gor 168

I heard a movement near us. I turned and saw a female slave, in a rep-cloth kitchen tunic, stained with food, approaching, bearing a tray of fruit with a flask of wine. She was followed by a guard.
Assassin of Gor page 183

I gave the girl some food from my pouch. I gave her a swallow of water from the flask at my belt.
Hunters of Gor page 113

Arn was chewing on a piece of dry Sa-Tarna bread. He washed it down with a swallow from his flask, filled earlier at the nearby stream. We had changed the guard twice in the forest.
Hunters of Gor page 123

"Wine, Slave Girl," said Marla, holding her cup to me.
Angrily I put down the Sul paga and fetched the flask of the Ka-la-na of Ar, and filled her cup.
Slave Girl of Gor page 134

Hydria
There were perhaps a hundred men, here and there, within the enclosure, and some fifteen or twenty girls. The girls filled their vessels, which, like the hydria, or water vessel, are high-handled, for dipping, in a large kettle hung simmering over a fire near the entrance to the enclosure.
Vagabonds of Gor page 16

High-Handled Paga Vessel
There were perhaps a hundred men, here and there, within the enclosure, and some fifteen or twenty girls. The girls filled their vessels, which, like the hydria, or water vessel, are high-handled, for dipping, in a large kettle hung simmering over a fire near the entrance to the enclosure.
Vagabonds of Gor page 16

Jar, Wine
The last two times I begged to do so, and was permitted to carry a jar of wine on my head. Ute had taught me to walk without spilling it. I enjoyed the men watching me. Soon I could carry wine as well as any girl, even Ute.
Captive of Gor page 92

"I would like to see you dance, little traitress," he said. "I must fetch wine," I said, and twisted away, running toward the kitchen shed. There I found Ute. "Do not send me back, Ute!" I wept. "Fetch your wine and return," said Ute. I dipped the wine vessel into the great stone jar, again filling it.
Captive of Gor page 326

Jug, Paga
I saw that a cart, loaded with jugs of paga, arrived at the compound. It was greeted with cheers by the guards.
Captive of Gor page 108

Jug, Wine
There was the odor of food in the kitchen, and of spilled drink. There were several yards of sausages hung on hooks; numerous canisters of flour, sugars and salts; many smaller containers of spices and condiments. Two large wine jugs stood in one corner of the room. There were many closed pantries lining the walls, and a number of pumps and tubs on one side. Some boxes and baskets of hard fruit were stored there. I could see the bread ovens in one wall; the long fire pit over which could be put cooking racks, the mountings for spits and kettle hooks; the fire pit was mostly black now, but, here and there, I could see a few broken sticks of glowing charcoal; aside from this, the light in the room came from one small tharlarion oil lamp hanging from the ceiling, near the side where the kitchen slaves were chained, presumably to facilitate the guard check which, during the night, took place each second Ahn; the other lamps in the room were now extinguished.
Assassin of Gor pages 271-272

Kantharos
In a few moments she returned through the door bearing a tray. She knelt near the table, put the tray on the floor, unbidden performed obeisance and then, as though submissively, put the tray on the table, and put the paga, in a small kantharos, and the bread on its trencher, before me. Then she put the bowl of porridge, with a spoon, before me. She then withdrew, taking the tray, put it to the side, on the floor, again performed obeisance, unbidden, and then knelt back, as though in attendance. There had been something false in her subservience.
Renegades of Gor page 71

Paga Skin
"May your tarn lose its feathers," he roared, slapping his thigh, bringing his tarn to rest on the perch. He leaned over and tossed me a skin bag of Paga, from which I took a long swig, then hurled it contemptuously back into his arms. In a moment he had taken flight again, bawling out some semblance of a song about the woes of a camp girl, the bag of Paga flying behind him, dangling from its long straps.
Tarnsman of Gor page 78

Paga Vat
"Bring me paga," I said.
"Oh!" she wept, in misery. "Oh, oh."
I looked at her.
"Yes, Master," she wept, and rose quickly to her feet, hurrying toward the paga vat.
Vagabonds of Gor page 17

Pitcher
A girl in a tunic of white silk, gracefully, carrying a large pitcher of diluted Ka-la-na wine, approached our table from the rear, and climbed the stairs, delicately, and as though timidly, head down.
Assassin of Gor page 186

"Kajuralia, Master," said Elizabeth Cardwell to Ho-Tu, smiling sweetly, as she passed with a pitcher of Ka-la-na.
Assassin of Gor pages 237-238

"Little pock-face," called Relius. "I would be served!"
Virginia Kent, with her pitcher of Ka-la-na, ran light-footed to Relius, guard in the House of Cernus.
"Let Lana serve Relius wine," said another girl, a Red Silk Girl, first to the guard, leaning toward him, lips parted.
Relius put out his cup but before the girl could pour the wine she seemed suddenly to fly off the back of the dais, the seat of her tunic firmly grasped in the small hand of Virginia Kent. Lana landed with a considerable bump on the stones of the hall, the wine flying backward.
Assassin of Gor page 238

At this point Virginia Kent put down her pitcher of wine, seizing Lana by the shoulder, spun her about and struck her a rather severe blow near the left eye.
Assassin of Gor pages 238-239

"It seems I am not going to be served," said Relius, as though rather bored with the whole matter.
Virginia Kent straightened herself, bent down and picked up her pitcher of Ka-la-na, smiled shyly, and approached her guard.
He put forth his goblet, but suddenly, unexpectedly, she drew back the pitcher.
Assassin of Gor page 239

"It seems I am not going to be served," said Relius, as though rather bored with the whole matter.
Virginia Kent straightened herself, bent down and picked up her pitcher of Ka-la-na, smiled shyly, and approached her guard.
He put forth his goblet, but suddenly, unexpectedly, she drew back the pitcher.
Assassin of Gor page 239

Once again there was an extremely still moment in the room.
Suddenly I felt a large quantity of fluid, wine, surely at least half a pitcher, being poured slowly over my head. I began to sputter and blink. "Kajuralia, Master," said Elizabeth Cardwell, walking regally away.
Assassin of Gor page 243

I observed Tina, carrying a pitcher of water to two of the men working at the side of the Tesephone.
Hunters of Gor page 92

She had handed the pitcher to one of the men.
Hunters of Gor page 92

"Masters," said Peggy, approaching the table, kneeling beside it, bearing a tray. She placed the tray on the table, and removed three plates of bread and meat from it, a dish of assorted cheeses, a bowl of dates, a pitcher of water, a pot of black wine, steaming and tiny vessels of sugars and creams, and three goblets.
Rogue of Gor page 233

Silver Black Wine Pot
Ibn Saran, not taking his eyes from Alyena, lifted his finger. From one side a slave girl, barefoot, bangled, in sashed, diaphanous, trousered chalwar, gathered at the ankles, in tight, red-silk vest, with bare midriff, fled to him, with the tall, graceful, silvered pot containing the black wine. She was veiled. She knelt, replenishing the drink.
Tribesmen of Gor page 88

I did not turn to look back at the first girl, she who held the silvered pot.
Tribesmen of Gor page 89

I decided I might care to taste the steaming, black wine. I lifted my finger. The girl in whose charge was the silver vessel, filled with black wine, knelt beside a tiny brazier, on which it sat, retaining its warmth.
Tribesmen of Gor page 105

I glanced casually back to look upon her, kneeling beside the slender, silvered, long-spouted vessel of black wine, resting over its tiny brazier, she only one of a pair, a matched set, of slaves.
Tribesmen of Gor page 108

She was the other girl of the matched set, the other white-skinned wench, who had had in her charge the silvered, long-spouted vessel of black wine.
Tribesmen of Gor page 113

The two slaves, their chains removed, now returned, and began to serve the black wine. The voluptuous slave of Aemilianus, whom he had not yet named, placed the tiny silver cups, on small stands, before us. The lovely little slave in bluish gauze, whom I had not yet named, holding the narrow-spouted, silver pouring vessel in a heavy cloth, to retain its heat and protect her hands, poured the scalding, steaming black fluid, in narrow, tiny streams, into the small cups. She poured into the cups only the amounts that would be compatible with the assorted sugars and creams which the guest might desire, if any, these being added in, and stirred, if, and as, pertinent, by Aemilianus' slave, who directed the serving.
Guardsman of Gor page 244

"Second slave," I told her, which among the river towns, and in certain cities, particularly in the north, is a way of indicating that I would take the black wine without creams or sugars, and as it came from the pouring vessel, which, of course, in these areas, is handled by the "second slave," the first slave being the girl who puts down the cups, takes the orders and sees that the beverage is prepared according to the preferences of the one who is being served.
"Second slave," said the slave of Aemilianus.
"Yes, Mistress," said the girl in the bluish gauze. She was extremely careful not to spill a drop. Black wine, except in the vicinity of Thentis, where most of it is grown on the slopes of the Thentis range, is quite expensive. Also, of course, clumsy slave girls are often whipped. The expression "second slave," incidentally, serves to indicate that one does not wish creams or sugars with one's black wine, even if only one girl is serving.
Guardsman of Gor page 245

Skin Bag
Aya, with her kaiila strap, continued her lessons in Gorean. Too, she taught her skills useful to a Tahari female, the making of ropes from kaiila hair, the cutting and plaiting of reins, the weaving of cloth and mats, the decoration and beading of leather goods, the use of the mortar and pestle, the use of the grain quern, the preparation and spicing of stews, the cleaning of verr and, primarily when we camped near watering holes in the vicinity of nomads, the milking of verr and kaiila. Too, she was taught the churning of milk in skin bags.
Tribesmen of Gor pages 72-73

She had been carrying a large bag of churned verr milk on her head.
Tribesmen of Gor page 89

She dropped the churned verr milk, the bag's seams fortunately for her not splitting, and spun to face him, but he was towering over her, not four inches from her.
Tribesmen of Gor page 89

Aya was not pleased to find the girl hair-tied by the tree, the bag of churned verr milk lying to one side in the dust.
Tribesmen of Gor page 90

When Alyena had managed to free herself she again, hastily, weeping, lifted and placed upon her head the bag of churned verr milk, steadying it, and proceeded to deliver it to the tent of the Farouk.
Tribesmen of Gor page 90

Talu Bag
Water at Klima is generally carried in narrow buckets, on wooden yokes, with dippers attached, for the slaves. A talu is approximately two gallons. A talu bag is a small bag. It is the sort carried by a nomad herding verr afoot in the vicinity of his camp. Bags that small are seldom carried in caravan, except at the saddles of scouts.
Tribesmen of Gor page 242

"Are you still determined to enter the desert?" he asked.
"We are," I said.
"Your water is ready," he said.
Two men, with yoke bags, falling before their body, on each side, stepped forward.
"We sewed together several talu bags," said T'Zshal, "to make these."
I was stunned.
Tribesmen of Gor pages 266-267

Then he turned to another guard, one with a one-talu bag, who had been one of the men who had watched us, when we had been staked out. "Give them water," he said.
"You did not let me struggle in the straps," I said to the guard. "You saved the life of T'Zshal," said the man. "I did not wish you to die." Then he gave Hassan and me to drink from the water he carried.
Before we finished the bag, we passed it about the men, and T'Zshal, that each of us, there together, might have tasted it, the water from the same bag. We had, thus, in this act, shared water.
Tribesmen of Gor page 267

Two-Handled Paga Vessel
I hurried to the counter and handed Busebius, who was beaming, the paga vessel and strap. Again it had been emptied.
He dipped the vessel into the great vat of paga and returned it to me.
"Paga! Paga!" I heard. I did not even have time to slip the vessel on its strap over my shoulder. Holding its two handles in my hands, I fled back, with a jangle of slave bells, to the floor, to serve.
Slave Girl of Gor page 298

Two-Handled Wine Vessel
Marlenus snapped his fingers, pointing to his cup on the table.
The slave girl came forward, from where she knelt to one side, and, kneeling, from a two-handled vessel, filled it. She was very beautiful.
"I, too, shall have wine," I said.
She filled my cup. Our eyes met. She looked down. She was barefoot. Her one garment was a brief slip of diaphanous yellow silk. Her brand was clearly visible beneath it, high on the left thigh. On her throat, half concealed by her long blond hair, was a collar of steel, the steel of Ar.
Hunters of Gor page 149

Verna, from where she knelt, looked at him, angrily, holding the two-handled wine vessel. At her throat was his collar, in her thigh, burned, his brand, on her body his silk. She looked away.
Hunters of Gor page 151

He then indicated that she should again kneel to one side, and take up the two-handled wine vessel, that she be ready, when we wished, to serve us once more.
Hunters of Gor page 153

Water Bag
I fed her in silence, thrusting food into her mouth, telling her to eat swiftly, and then giving her a drink from the leather water bag.
Captive of Gor page 91

That evening, as it was growing dark, Ute and I, and Lana, did not go to the food line. A girl, however, was given a pan of food to give me for the new girl, chained in the dormitory. I took this food, and a water bag, within the darkened log enclosure.
Captive of Gor page 109

On the second day, it had been thrust up only that the spike of a water bag could be thrust between her teeth, and then replaced; on her third day the coverlet was torn away and, with the scarf, thrown overboard; Ivar Forkbeard, on that day, watered her and, with a spoon, fed her a bit of bond-maid gruel.
Starving, she had snatched at it greedily.
"How eagerly you eat the gruel of bond-maids," he had commented.
Then she refused to eat more.
Marauders of Gor page 123

"Water! Water!" called the man.
"Water," I said.
He came to me, bent over, tattered, swarthy, grinning up at me, the verrskin bag over his shoulder, the brass cups, a dozen of them, attached to shoulder straps and his belt, rattling and clinking. His shoulder on the left was damp from the bag.
Tribesmen of Gor page 36

I finished the cup of water and handed the cup back to the water carrier. He bowed, grinning, the bag swollen and bulging, damp on his shoulder, and, hooking the cup on his belt, backed away. "Water!" he called. "Water!"
Tribesmen of Gor page 38

I passed one of the wells of Tor. There were steps, broad, flat, worn, in concentric circles, leading down to the water. At this time of year eight of the steps were uncovered by the water. Many came there for water. I saw children on their hands and knees lapping water, women filling jugs and men submerging bags, the air bubbling as the bags filled. Like most water in the Tahari the water of Tor was slightly salty and unclear.
Tribesmen of Gor pages 56-57

"May your water bags be never empty," said Ibn Saran.
"May you always have water." He put his hand on the bulging water bag, which hung behind the saddle, on the left side of the beast, balanced by another on the right. One drinks alternately from the bags, to maintain the weight distribution. Such weight, of course, slows the kaiila, but, in the desert, one must have much water.
"May your water bags be never empty," I said. "May you always have water."
Tribesmen of Gor page 132

I sampled the water in the two water bags. It was, as I had expected, heavily salted. It was not drinkable.
Tribesmen of Gor page 132

In a short while, at the public well near the chamber of justice, I had filled my water bags and collected the latest gossip.
Tribesmen of Gor page 135

In the neighborhood of noon, moving slowly, in the yellow and purple striped burnoose, with sash, water bags at the flanks of my kaiila, sacks of pressed-date brisk tied across the withers, kaiila bells ringing, calling attention to myself and my wares, I left the oasis.
Tribesmen of Gor page 135

I lifted the water bag from the pole, where it hung, outside the entrance of the tent.
One of the men cried out with rage.
I lifted the bag, drinking deeply. I replaced the plug and put back the bag, wiping my mouth with my sleeve.
Tribesmen of Gor page 143

He took one of the water bags, which was still full, which held some twenty gallons of water.
"Carry this burden, Slave," he said.
"Yes, Master," she said.
He threw it over her shoulders. She gasped. She bent forward, her hands steadying the bags. It was heavy for the slight beauty. She almost lost her balance. If she dropped it, she would be much beaten.
Tribesmen of Gor page 178

These hoods, used on the march to Klima, have a tiny flap, closed and tied with a leather string, at the mouth, through which, several times during the day, opened, the spike of a water bag, carried by kaiila, is thrust.
Tribesmen of Gor page 226

I hurried to the pack kaiila and fetched from it the water bag.
Savages of Gor page 328

Twice he poured me water from a bag into a cup. He indicated the side of the cup from which I might drink. When a cup is shared masters and slaves do not drink from the same side of the cup.
Kajira of Gor page 216

Water Gourd
My weapons shared the boat, with a gourd of water and a tin of bread and dried bosk meat.
Raiders of Gor page 2

I rejoiced, moving ahead. There was not much water left in the gourd now, and it was the last of several I had brought with me. The dried bosk meat in the tin, and the bread with it, yellow Sa-Tarna bread, now stale, was almost gone.
Raiders of Gor page 8

Then she took a long draught of water from a yellow, curved gourd, and then, thrusting the neck of the gourd into my mouth, gave me a swallow, then drawing it away again and laughing, but then giving it to me again, that I might drink. When I had drunk, she put the plug, carved from the gourd stem, back in the gourd, and replaced it in the corner.
Raiders of Gor page 34

I had also been used to carry heavy kettles of rence beer from the various islands to the place of feasting, as well as strings of water gourds, poles of fish, plucked gants, slaughtered tarsks, and baskets of the pith of rence.
Raiders of Gor page 41

I had carried about bowls of cut, fried fish, and wooden trays of roasted tarsk meat, and roasted gants, threaded on sticks, and rence cakes and porridges, and gourd flagons, many times replenished, of rence beer.
Raiders of Gor page 44

Most pleased I was to find the water gourd, which was still half filled. I also took the wallet of food, that which she had once tied about her waist.
Raiders of Gor page 64

I handed the water gourd to her, and she drank. Then I shook out what food lay in the wallet, some dried rence paste from the day before yesterday, some dried flakes of fish, a piece of rence cake.
We shared this food.
Raiders of Gor page 65

There is usually a water gourd kept at the masthead, for the look out. I uncorked the gourd and took some of the water. There had been a light film of ice on it. Some of the crystals melted in my mouth.
Raiders of Gor 265

The water had now frozen in the gourd, splitting it.
Raiders of Gor 268

One of the girls scrambled up a nearby tree. In a moment, in the moonlight, she was throwing down water gourds and strips of meat.
Sitting cross-legged on the leaves, the girls passed about the gourds and began to chew on the meat.
Captive of Gor page 123

The other girls similarly armed themselves, preparing to depart. Some gathered up the water gourds and what meat was left from their meal.
Captive of Gor page 126

Water Skin
I and the others, from our pans, were eating one of our four daily rations of bread, onions and peas. We were passing a water skin about among us.
Raiders of Gor 184

The blond-haired girl rose to her feet and surrendered the scoop to Gorm, who put it away, and then closed the deck planking. She then went to one of the large, wooden, covered water buckets, roped to the deck, and in it submerged a water-skin. I heard the bubbling as the skin filled.
Marauders of Gor page 63

The girl who had prepared the bond-maid gruel had now been refettered and placed again in the coffle.
The slender blond girl, who had been giving the men water from the skin bag, was now given the work of filling small bowls from the large wooden bowl, and for the bond-maids. She used a bronze ladle, the handle of which was curved like the neck and head of a lovely bird. About the handle was a closed bronze ring, loose. It formed a collar for the bird's neck. The bond-maids did not much care for their gruel, unsweetened, mudlike Sa-Tarna meal, with raw fish. They fed, however. One girl who did not care to feed was struck twice across her back by a knotted rope in the hand of Gorm. Quickly then, and well, she fed. The girls, including the slender blondish girl, emptied their bowls, even to licking them, and rubbing them with their saliva-dampened fingers, that no grain be left, lest Gorm, their keeper in the ship, should not pleased. They looked to one another in fear, and put down their bowls, as they finished, fed bond-wenches.
Marauders of Gor pages 64-65

Now came slave girls bearing skins of water. They walked slowly, bent over, placing each step carefully, that they not lose their balance, heavy skins, bulging and damp, across their shoulders.
Marauders of Gor page 289

We had scarcely moved, save to pass about a verrskin of water and a leather pouch of Sa-Tarna meal.
Tribesmen of Gor page 167

Wine Skin
He signaled to a boy who carried a skin of Ka-la-na wine over his shoulder. He took the skin of wine from the boy and bit out the horn plug; he then, with the wineskin on his shoulder, held back the head of Elizabeth Cardwell with one hand and with the other shoved the bone nozzle of the skin between her teeth; he tipped the skin and the girl, half choking, swallowed the wine; some of the red fluid ran from her mouth and over her body.
Nomads of Gor pages 39-40

Wine Vessel
Publius ran forward, the kitchen master. His face was white. He held a drawn sword.
Bosk poured the wine forth on the table, slowly. The vessel of wine I had dropped, and its contents now trickled among the tiles.
Captive of Gor page 361

No comments:

Post a Comment