Sunday, October 27, 2013

Meats

The expression is related to Sa-Tassna, the expression for meat, or for food in general, which means Life-Mother.
Outlaw of Gor page 75

Bird [non-specific]
I, however, contented myself with nuts and fruits, and roots, and water creatures which resembled those with which I was familiar, and, of course, the flesh of small birds and animals.
Captive of Gor pages 236-237

I then helped her carry our catch, she bearing the fish, and the small birds, to our camp.
Captive of Gor page 238

Occasionally I would supplement this diet with the raw flesh of small birds, or that of an occasional brush urt, which I would manage to snare. However, last night, and the night before, at another village, I had managed to steal meat. I had resolved that I would feed myself in this fashion.
Captive of Gor page 247

We killed four birds and ate them raw.
Tribesmen of Gor page 278

Game Meat
We were taken from the wagon and, chained outside, kneeling, were fed. In the two days since I had been captured, prior to our encountering the caravan, we had only berries and water, and bits of small game, cooked by the guards and thrown to us in scraps.
Captive of Gor page 65

Gants, Roasted
I had carried about bowls of cut, fried fish, and wooden trays of roasted tarsk meat, and roasted gants, threaded on sticks, and rence cakes and porridges, and gourd flagons, many times replenished, of rence beer.
Raiders of Gor page 44

Insects, Green
Ute taught me to find food where it would not have occurred to me to look for it. I relished the roots she taught me to dig for. But I was less eager to sample the small amphibians she caught in her hands or the fat, green insects she scooped from the inside of logs and from under overturned rocks.
"They can be eaten," she said.
Captive of Gor page 236

On the tenth day, instead of the pan of bread, with the water, Ute thrust a different pan under the door. I screamed. Tiny things, with tiny sounds, moved, crawling over and about one another in it. I screamed again, and thrust it back out. It had been filled with the fat, loathsome green insects which, in the Ka-la-na thicket, Ute had told me were edible. Indeed, she had eaten them. "They are nourishing," she had said. I screamed hysterically, pounding at the sides of the slave box.
Captive of Gor page 315

Kailiauk
We did not feel that his stomach would be ready yet for the meat of kailiauk.
Savages of Gor page 328

Kailiauk, Dried
We did not feel that his stomach would be ready yet for the meat of kailiauk. We had some from the Dust Legs. It was in sheets, cut almost as thin as paper, dried in the prairie sun, layered in a flat, leather envelope, a parfleche, originally sealed with a seam of hardened fat.
Savages of Gor page 328

Grunt and I exchanged glances but, in the end, we fetched Cuwignaka some of the strips of dried kailiauk meat.
Savages of Gor page 328

Meat, Dried
The first thing I did was unseal one of the two water flasks and open the dried rations. And there on that windy ledge, in that abode of the tarn, I ate the meal that satisfied me as no other hand ever done, though it consisted only of some mouthfuls of water, some stale biscuits, and a wrapper of dried meat.
Tarnsman of Gor page 144

There was much grooming of wagon bosk; checking of harness and wagons, cutting of meat to be dried hanging from the sides of moving wagons in the sun and wind.
Nomads of Gor page 184

It was late in the afternoon. We had eaten some foods we had brought with us, in our pouches, and, too, take some food, bread and dried meat, which we had found in the huts.
Hunters of Gor page 123

There was much of some value, though mostly bulk goods. I found quantities of slave meal, which is mixed with water; and silks, and bowls, and collars, not inscribed, and lengths of dried meat, stretched and salted; and coils of rope and chains.
Hunters of Gor page 210

They fed from bowls of slave meal, mixed with water. Too, I cut each of them a piece of the dried, salted meat taken from the abandoned camp of the men of Tyros and the girls of Hura.
Hunters of Gor page 214

"What if the food is poisoned?" asked the blond girl, in her ankle ring.
"Eat," I told her.
She looked at me.
"Eat, Slave," I told her.
"Yes, Master," she said.
Looking at me, apprehensive, she chewed and swallowed.
"Quickly," I said.
"Yes, Master," she said.
Swiftly, frightened, she finished the bowl of slave meal and the piece of salted, dried meat.
Hunters of Gor page 214

Meat, Roast
Pretty Ankles hurried past, carrying a great trencher of roast meat on her small shoulder.
Marauders of Gor page 129

Pemmican
"Wakapapi," said Cuwignaka to me. This is the Kaiila word for pemmican. A soft cake of this substance was pressed into my hands. I crumbled it. In the winter, of course, such cakes can be frozen solid. One then breaks them into small pieces, warms them in one's hands and mouth, and eats them bit by bit. I lifted the crumbled pemmican to my mouth and ate of it. There are various ways in which pemmican may be prepared, depending primarily on what one adds into the mixture, in the way of herbs, seasonings and fruit. A common way of preparing it is as follows. Strips of kailiauk meat, thinly sliced and dried on poles in the sun, are pounded fine, almost to a powder. Crushed fruit, usually, chokecherries, is them added to the meat. The whole, then, is mixed with, and fixed by, kailiauk fat, subsequently, usually, being divided into small, flattish, rounded cakes. The fruit sugars make this, in its way, a quick-energy food, while the meat, of course, supplies valuable, long-lasting stamina protein. This, like the dried meat, or jerky, from which it is made, can be eaten either raw or cooked. It is not uncommon for both to be carried in hunting or on war parties. Children will also carry it in their play. The thin slicing of the meat not only abets its preservation, effected by time, the wind and sun, but makes it impractical for flies to lay their eggs in it. Jerky and pemmican, which is usually eaten cooked in the villages, is generally boiled. In these days a trade pot or kettle is normally used. In the old days it was prepared by stoneboiling. In this technique a hole is used. This hole, dug either within the lodge or outside of it, is lined with hide and filled with water. Fire-heated stones would then be placed in the water, heating it, eventually, to boiling. As the stones cooled, of course, they would be removed from the hide pot and replaced with hot stones, the first stones meanwhile, if needed, being reheated.
Blood Brothers of Gor pages 46-47

Sausage
There was the odor of food in the kitchen, and of spilled drink. There were several yards of sausages hung on hooks; numerous canisters of flour, sugars and salts; many smaller containers of spices and condiments. Two large wine jugs stood in one corner of the room. There were many closed pantries lining the walls, and a number of pumps and tubs on one side. Some boxes and baskets of hard fruit were stored there. I could see the bread ovens in one wall; the long fire pit over which could be put cooking racks, the mountings for spits and kettle hooks; the fire pit was mostly black now, but, here and there, I could see a few broken sticks of glowing charcoal; aside from this, the light in the room came from one small tharlarion oil lamp hanging from the ceiling, near the side where the kitchen slaves were chained, presumably to facilitate the guard check which, during the night, took place each second Ahn; the other lamps in the room were now extinguished.
Assassin of Gor pages 271-272

Tabuk
I supplemented my diet with fresh fruit picked from bushes and trees, and fish speared in Gor's cold, swift-flowing streams. Once I brought the carcass of a tabuk, one of Gor's single-horned, yellow antelopes, which I had felled in a Ka-la-na thicket, to the hut of a peasant and his wife.
Outlaw of Gor page 48

In a vast low case, on the floor of which apparently grew real grass, I saw a pair of shaggy, long-horned bosk grazing, and in the same case but in a different corner was a small herd, no more than five adult animals, a proud male and four does, of tabuk, the single-horned golden Gorean antelope.
Priest Kings of Gor page 191

In the center of the camp there was a cooking hole, banked with a circle of flat stones. on a wooden spit, set on sticks, grease dropping into the fire and flaming, was a thigh of tabuk.
It smelled good. The smoke, in a thin line, trickled upward into the sky.
The thigh of tabuk was tended by a squatting panther girl, who, from time to time, picked bits of meat from it and thrust them in her mouth. She sucked her fingers clean. Over to one side another girl worked on a slave net, reworking and reknotting the weighted cords.
Hunters of Gor page 115

That night I hunted and felled a tabuk, which kill I brought back to my camp, that my prisoners, might feed. We could not, of course, risk a fire. I cut pieces of meat from the animal, and gave them to the paga slaves, to thrust into the mouths of the panther girls. If a girl would stop chewing, her gag would be replaced.
Hunters of Gor page 204

I washed with a bit of water from a stream, ate some tabuk strips from my wallet, and went again to the edge of the forest.
Hunters of Gor pages 249-250

I thrust some strips of tabuk meat from my wallet into her mouth.
"Eat," I told her.
"Yes, Master," she said.
Hunters of Gor page 254

I turned her over. "Open your mouth," I told her.
She did so.
I thrust some strips of tabuk meat into her mouth.
"Eat," I told her.
"Yes, Master," she said.
Hunters of Gor page 254

I fed from the tabuk strips in my wallet, looking out to sea, and then drank from the canteen of the guard.
Hunters of Gor page 254

I took water from the canteen, and ate strips of tabuk meat from my wallet.
Hunters of Gor page 255

When I had satisfied my thirst, there was little left in the canteen. I threw it to Cara. She and Tina then finished the bit of water remaining. When I had satisfied my hunger on the tabuk strips, there was but one left. I tore it in two and threw half to each of the girls.
Hunters of Gor page 255

There was a half-eaten tabuk by the water hole. The Kur warned me from certain pieces of the meat, smelling it. Other pieces, farther from the eaten areas, more exposed to the sun, he gave me. He himself broke free a haunch and, with swift motions, with his teeth, holding it, ripped the dry meat from the bone.
Tribesmen of Gor page 279

Tabuk, Steak
Moreover, where there was Kal-da there should be bread and meat. I thought of the yellow Gorean bread, baked in the shape of round, flat loaves, fresh and hot; my mouth watered for a tabuk steak or, perhaps, if I were lucky, a slice of roast tarsk, the formidable six-tusked wild boar of Gor's temperate forests. I smiled to myself, felt the sack of coins in my tunic, bent down and pushed the door open.
Outlaw of Gor page 76

Tarsk
The food at the table of Cernus was good, but it was plain, rather severe, like the master of the House. I had tarsk meat and yellow bread with honey, Gorean peas and a tankard of diluted Ka-la-na, warm water mixed with wine.
Assassin of Gor page 87

I heard the squealing of a domestic tarsk running nearby, its feet scuttling in the woven rence of the island, as on a mat. A child was crying out, chasing it.
Raiders of Gor page 16

I had also been used to carry heavy kettles of rence beer from the various islands to the place of feasting, as well as strings of water gourds, poles of fish, plucked gants, slaughtered tarsks, and baskets of the pith of rence.
Raiders of Gor page 41

She tore the bread for us, broke the cheese, ribboned the eels and cut the tarsk.
Raiders of Gor 114

In the basket I wrapped the admiral's cloak about me, began to chew on a piece of tarsk meat, as much against the cold as the hunger, and took out the glass of the builders.
I examined the state of the battle.
Tarsk meat tends to be salty.
Raiders of Gor 265

Merchants brought sides of bosk, and thighs of tarsk, and wines and fruits to camp, and cheeses and breads and nuts, and flowers and candies and silks and honeys.
Captive of Gor page 321

Tarsk, Dried
I then thrust some strips of dried tarsk meat in my belt.
Raiders of Gor 265

I was cold in the basket, and I chewed on another piece of dried tarsk meat.
Raiders of Gor 268

"Bread, meat!" called a fellow, coming up beside the cart. Several of us availed ourselves of his provender. I bought some wedges of Sa-Tarna bread and slices of dried tarsk meat, taking some and giving the rest to Boabissia and Hurtha.
Mercenaries of Gor page 257

Tarsk, Fried
"And put bread over the fire," I said, "and honey, and the eggs of vulos, and fried tarsk meat and a Torian larma fruit."
The girl nodded and, rising gracefully, backing away a step or two, head down, turned and went to the kitchen.
Assassin of Gor page 106

Tarsk, Roasted
Moreover, where there was Kal-da there should be bread and meat. I thought of the yellow Gorean bread, baked in the shape of round, flat loaves, fresh and hot; my mouth watered for a tabuk steak or, perhaps, if I were lucky, a slice of roast tarsk, the formidable six-tusked wild boar of Gor's temperate forests. I smiled to myself, felt the sack of coins in my tunic, bent down and pushed the door open.
Outlaw of Gor page 76

The proprietor arrived with hot bread, honey, salt and to my delight, a huge, hot roasted chunk of tarsk. I crammed my mouth with food and washed it down with another thundering draught of Kal-da.
Outlaw of Gor page 79

Roasted tarsks on long spits were borne to the tables on the shoulders of nude slave girls.
Assassin of Gor page 311

Before the feast I had helped the women, cleaning fish and dressing marsh gants, and then, later, turning spits for the roasted tarsks, roasted over rence-root fires kept on metal pans, elevated above the rence of the island by metal racks, themselves resting on larger pans.
Raiders of Gor page 44

I had carried about bowls of cut, fried fish, and wooden trays of roasted tarsk meat, and roasted gants, threaded on sticks, and rence cakes and porridges, and gourd flagons, many times replenished, of rence beer.
Raiders of Gor page 44

We greeted him with cheers.
Telima had prepared a roast tarsk, stuffed with suls and peppers from Tor.
Raiders of Gor 114

I looked up. The slave boy, Fish, had emerged from the kitchen, holding over his head on a large silver platter a whole roasted tarsk, steaming and crisped, basted, shining under the torchlight, a larma in its mouth, garnished with suls and Tur-pah.
Raiders of Gor 219

Fish put down the whole roast tarsk before the men.
Raiders of Gor 219

The men ordered him away again, that he might fetch yet another roasted tarsk from the spit which he had been turning slowly over the coal fires during the afternoon. He sped away.
Raiders of Gor 220

I observed the boy bringing in yet another roasted tarsk.
Raiders of Gor 223

We could smell roast tarsk from somewhere.
Captive of Gor page 87

The smell of roast tarsk became stronger and, to our delight, the wagons turned and rolled into one of the huge warehouses.
Captive of Gor page 88

Then, kneeling, delighted, we were fed bread and roast tarsk, and hot bosk milk.
Captive of Gor page 88

The two bond-maids, stripped, too, like the others, for the feast, Pretty Ankles and Pouting Lips, struggled down the length of the smoky, dark hall, a spitted, roasted tarsk on their shoulders.
Marauders of Gor page 91

Their shoulders were protected from the heat of the metal spit by rolls of leather. The roasted tarsk was flung before us on the table. With his belt knife, thrusting Pudding and Gunnhild back, Ivar Forkbeard addressed himself to the cutting of the meat.
He threw pieces down the length of the table.
Marauders of Gor page 91

I drank more of the mead. I ate, too, of the roast tarsk.
Marauders of Gor page 93

Many were the lamps, bowls on spears, which burned, and torches too. And brightly glowed the long fire in the hall, over which tarsk and bosk, crackling and glistening with hot fat, roasted, turned heavily on spits by eager, laughing bond-maids.
Marauders of Gor page 279

Tarsk, Sausage
I knew where they came from, for example. It would be too bad to be impaled, I thought, and not have had a mushroom, at all. "What are they stuffed with?" I asked Hurtha.
"Sausage," he said.
"Tarsk?" I asked.
"Of course." he said.
"My favorite," I said. "I shall have one."
"Alas," said Hurtha. "They are all gone."
Mercenaries of Gor page 83

Verr
"How do the people of Treve live?" I asked Vika.
"We raise the verr," she said.
I smiled.
The verr was a mountain goat indigenous to the Voltai. It was a wild, agile, ill-tempered beast, long-haired and spiral-horned. Among the Voltai crags it would be worth one's life to come within twenty yards of one.
Priest Kings of Gor page 63

I passed fields that were burning, and burning huts of peasants, the smoking shells of Sa-Tarna granaries, the shattered, slatted coops for vulos, the broken walls of keeps for the small, long-haired domestic verr, less belligerent and sizable than the wild verr of the Voltai Ranges.
Nomads of Gor page 10

Within that rail, about the altar, some in chests, others displayed on shelvings, was much rich plate, and vessels of gold and silver. There were the golden bowls used to gather the blood of the sacrificed animals; cups used to pour libations to Priest-Kings; vessels containing oils, lavers in which the celebrants of the rites might cleanse their hands from their work; there were even the small bowls of coins, brought as offerings by the poor, to solicit the favor of Initiates that they might intercede with Priest-Kings on their behalf, that the food roots would not fail, the suls not rot, the fish come to the plankton, the verr yield her kid with health to both, the vulos lay many eggs.
Marauders of Gor page 35

I saw four small milk bosk grazing on the short grass. In the distance above the acres, I could see mountains, snow-capped. A flock of verr, herded by a maid with a stick, turned, bleating on the sloping hillside.
Marauders of Gor page 81

Sa-Tarna is the major crop of the Forkbeard's lands, but, too, there are many gardens, and, as I have noted, bosk and verr, too, are raised.
Marauders of Gor page 102

Standing afoot, in the dust, with his lance, the nomad watched us turn away. Behind him was a herd of eleven verr, browsing on brownish snatches of verr grass. He would have defended the small animals with his life. Their milk and wool were his livelihood, and that of his family.
Tribesmen of Gor page 167

Verr, Candied Chop
"I did not expect to see you in Turia," I said.
"Neither did the Turians," remarked Harold, reaching over the shoulder of one of the high council of Turia and taking a candied verr chop.
Nomads of Gor page 253

Verr Ka-bobs
In the cafes, I had feasted well. I had had verr meat, cut in chunks and threaded on a metal rod, with slices of peppers and larma, and roasted; vulo stew with raisins, nuts, onions and honey; a kort with melted cheese and nutmeg; hot Bazi tea, sugared, and, later, Turian wine.
Tribesmen of Gor pages 47-48

Verr, Roast
On the dais, with him, were several men, low tables of food, fruit, stews, tidbits of roast verr, assorted breads.
Tribesmen of Gor page 212

Vulo
She was a peasant, barefoot, her garment little more than coarse sacking. She had been carrying a wicker basket containing vulos, domesticated pigeons raised for eggs and meat.
Nomads of Gor page 1

I passed fields that were burning, and burning huts of peasants, the smoking shells of Sa-Tarna granaries, the shattered, slatted coops for vulos, the broken walls of keeps for the small, long-haired domestic verr, less belligerent and sizable than the wild verr of the Voltai Ranges.
Nomads of Gor page 10

Behind them another four haruspexes, one from each People, carried a large wooden cage, made of sticks lashed together, which contained perhaps a dozen white vulos, domesticated pigeons.
Nomads of Gor page 172

"Release their hands," I said to a seaman, "and feed them."
The girls looked at one another, wonderingly. The seaman unbound their wrists from behind their backs, and filled two trenchers, steaming now with bosk and vulo, which he thrust in their hands.
I watched them while, with fingers and teeth, they devoured the food.
Hunters of Gor page 36

Within that rail, about the altar, some in chests, others displayed on shelvings, was much rich plate, and vessels of gold and silver. There were the golden bowls used to gather the blood of the sacrificed animals; cups used to pour libations to Priest-Kings; vessels containing oils, lavers in which the celebrants of the rites might cleanse their hands from their work; there were even the small bowls of coins, brought as offerings by the poor, to solicit the favor of Initiates that they might intercede with Priest-Kings on their behalf, that the food roots would not fail, the suls not rot, the fish come to the plankton, the verr yield her kid with health to both, the vulos lay many eggs.
Marauders of Gor page 35

A fellow walked past me, carrying several vulos, alive, heads down, their feet tied together. He was followed by another fellow, carrying a basket of eggs.
Tribesmen of Gor page 40

"Eat," I said to Flaminius, spooning some vulo and rice into his mouth. Then, in a bit, I took the bowl, the spoon in it, to where the girl lay. "Kneel," I said to her.
"Yes, Master," she said.
I then took bits of vulo from the bowl and held them out to the girl. I also out some rice in the palm of my hand, from which she took it. I heard Flaminius gasp in anger. "Do you object?" I asked. His slave, before him, was eating from the hand of another man. To be sure, we had all eaten earlier, as well.
Players of Gor page 380

Vulo, Fried
In the stern quarter, behind the open kitchen, the girls were chained by the neck to the deck, to iron rings set in the heavy, sanded wood. Each was given a yard of chain.
I smelled roast bosk cooking, and fried vulo. It would be delicious. I thought no more of the girls.
Hunters of Gor page 34

I held the leg of fried vulo toward one of the girls.
Hunters of Gor page 34

One of the girls, toward whom I held the leg of fried vulo, reached her head toward me, opening her delicate white teeth to bite at it.
I drew it away.
Hunters of Gor page 35

I held the leg of fried vulo again toward the first girl. For a time, she ignored it, her head to one side. Then, looking at me with hatred, unable to restrain herself, she bent forward again. Her teeth closed on the meat and she cried out in her throat, a gasp, a tiny cry, glad, inarticulate, uncontrollable, and began to bite at the leg, swiftly, tearing at it, her head to one side, the blond hair falling over my wrist. With my eyes I indicated that Rim should, similarly, feed the other.
He did so.
In moments, the girls had torn the meat from the bones, and Rim and I threw the bones into the sea.
They were still half starving, of course. They had but a taste of meat.
Hunters of Gor page 35

I, with Thurnock and Rim, went back to the kitchen area. There was again fried vulo, and there was some left. I did not think it would take long for the girls to discover that they were not alone in the lower hold.
I nibbled at the fried vulo.
Hunters of Gor page 38

Vulo, Leg
I continued to nibble on the vulo leg.
Hunters of Gor page 39

Vulo Liver
There other men of the Forkbeard attended to fishing, two with a net, sweeping it along the side of the serpent, for parsit fish, and the third, near the stem, with a hook and line, baited with vulo liver, for the white-bellied grunt, a large game fish which haunts the plankton banks to feed on parsit fish.
Marauders of Gor page 59

Vulo Stew
In the cafes, I had feasted well. I had had verr meat, cut in chunks and threaded on a metal rod, with slices of peppers and larma, and roasted; vulo stew with raisins, nuts, onions and honey; a kort with melted cheese and nutmeg; hot Bazi tea, sugared, and, later, Turian wine.
Tribesmen of Gor pages 47-48

Vulo, Torian -Spiced Brain
There was little doubt that I, in the worn, red tunic of a warrior, and Kamchak, in the black leather of the Tuchuks, seemed somewhat out of place at the banquet of Saphrar, merchant of Turia.
"It is the spiced brain of the Torian vulo," Saphrar was explaining.
Nomads of Gor page 83

I shot the spiced vulo brain into my mouth on the tip of a golden eating prong, a utensil, as far as I knew, unique to Turia.
Nomads of Gor page 83

Vulo, Wild
"Fall to your hands and knees," he said. "Put your head down." He did so, and I followed his example. To my surprise the five birds began to circle. I looked up. They were wild vulos, tawny and broad-winged. In a short time they alighted, several yards from us. They watched us, their heads turned to one side. Hassan began to kiss rhythmically at the back of his hand, his head down, but moving so as to see the birds. The sound he made was not unlike that of an animal lapping water.
There was a squawk as he seized one of the birds which, curious, ventured too near. The other vulos took flight. Hassan broke the bird's neck between his fingers and began to pull out the feathers.
We fed on meat.
Tribesmen of Gor page 270

Vulo Wing
"Well," said Samos, chewing on a vulo wing, "I am glad there are still some women slaves in Port Kar."
Raiders of Gor 304

He stopped before Svein Blue Tooth and Ivar Forkbeard, who, on seats of rock, awaited it. Ivar, chewing on a vulo wing, motioned Hilda, and Gunnhild, Pudding and Honey Cakes, who, naked and collared, his girls, knelt about him, to withdraw.
Marauders of Gor page 269

No comments:

Post a Comment