Friday, October 25, 2013

Paga

The Older Tarl and I may have drunk too much of that fermented brew concocted with fiendish skill from the yellow grain, Sa-Tarna, and called Pagar-Sa-Tarna, Pleasure of the Life-Daughter, but almost always "Paga" for short. I doubted that I would ever touch that stuff again.
Tarnsman of Gor pages 60-61

"May your tarn lose its feathers," he roared, slapping his thigh, bringing his tarn to rest on the perch. He leaned over and tossed me a skin bag of Paga, from which I took a long swig, then hurled it contemptuously back into his arms. In a moment he had taken flight again, bawling out some semblance of a song about the woes of a camp girl, the bag of Paga flying behind him, dangling from its long straps.
Tarnsman of Gor page 78

In the evening the strap-masters and warriors would amuse themselves with stories and songs, recounting their exploits, fictitious and otherwise, and bawling out their raucous harmonies under the influence of Paga.
Tarnsman of Gor page 124

In the next days, frequenting the Paga tents and markets, I sought, by cornering slaves and challenging swordsmen, to learn the whereabouts of Talena.
Tarnsman of Gor page 185

I decided, if worse came to worst, that I could always go to a simple Paga tavern where, if those of Tharna resembled those of Ko-ro-ba and Ar, one might, curled in a rug behind the low tables, unobtrusively spend the night for the price of a pot of Paga, a strong, fermented drink brewed from the yellow grains of Gor's staple crop, Sa-Tarna, or Life-Daughter. The expression is related to Sa-Tassna, the expression for meat, or for food in general, which means Life-Mother. Paga is a corruption of Pagar-Sa-Tarna, which means Pleasure of the Life-Daughter. It was customary to find diversions other than Paga in Paga Taverns, as well, but in gray Tharna the cymbals, drums and flutes of the musicians, the clashing of bangles on the ankles of dancing girls would be unfamiliar sounds.
Outlaw of Gor pages 74-75

I wondered at this for the Caste of Musicians had been, like the Caste of Poets, exiled from Tharna. Theirs, like the Caste of Poets, had been a caste regarded by the sober masks of Tharna as not belonging in a city of serious and dedicated folk, for music, like Paga and song, can set men's hearts aflame and when men's hearts are aflame it is not easy to know where the flame may spread.
Outlaw of Gor page 224

I wondered why there was only water to drink, and none of the fermented beverages of Gor, such as Paga, Ka-la-na wine or Kal-da. I was sure that if these were available Vika would have set them before me.
Priest Kings of Gor page 45

I took a large swallow of fierce Paga, washing it down as rapidly as possible. I did not much care for the sweet, syrupy wines of Turia, flavored and sugared to the point where one could almost leave one's fingerprint on their surface.
Nomads of Gor pages 83-84

I tried the liver of the wingfish. Then another swig of Paga.
Nomads of Gor page 86

I had, perhaps, however, drunk too much Paga.
Nomads of Gor page 87

"Tomorrow," I said, "you fight on the Plains of a Thousand Stakes."
"Yes," he said, "so tonight I will get drunk."
"It would be better," I said, "to get a good night's sleep."
"Yes," said Kamchak, "but I am Tuchuk -so I will get drunk."
"Very well," I said, "then I, too, shall get drunk."
We then spat to determine who would bargain for a bottle of Paga.
Nomads of Gor page 111

For all his uproarious stomping about the wagon last night, Paga bottle in hand, singing gusty Tuchuk songs, half frightening Miss Cardwell to death, he seemed in good spirits, looking about, whistling, occasionally pounding a little rhythm on the side of his saddle.
Nomads of Gor page 112

The public slave wagons, incidentally, also provide Paga. They are a kind of combination Paga tavern and slave market. I know of nothing else precisely like them on Gor. Kamchak and I had visited one last night where I ended up spending four copper tarn disks for one bottle of Paga.
Nomads of Gor page 118

Kamchak had circled around and we found ourselves back at the slave wagon.
We decided to wager to see who would get the second bottle of Paga.
"What about the flight of birds?" asked Kamchak.
"Agreed," I said, "but I have first choice."
"Very well," he said.
I knew, of course, that it was spring, and in this hemisphere, most birds, if there were any migrating, would be moving south. "South," I said.
"North," he said.
We then waited about a minute, and I saw several birds -river gulls- flying north.
"Those are Vosk gulls," said Kamchak, "In the spring, when the ice breaks in the Vosk, they fly north."
I fished some coins out of my pouch for the Paga.
Nomads of Gor page 137

When the meat was ready Kamchak ate his fill, and drank down, too, a flagon of bosk milk; I did the same, though the milk, at least for me, did not sit too well with the Paga of the afternoon.
Nomads of Gor pages 138-139

The little wench from Port Kar, whom Kamchak and I had seen in the slave wagon when we had bought Paga the night before the games of Love War, was this night to perform the chain dance.
Nomads of Gor page 147

Inside the enclosure, over against one side, I saw the slave wagon. The bosk had been unhitched and taken elsewhere. It was open and one could go in and purchase a bottle of Paga if one cared to do so.
"One is thirsty," said Kamchak.
"I'll buy the Paga," I said.
Kamchak shrugged. He had, after all, bought the admissions.
Nomads of Gor page 154

I bit out the cork in the Paga and passed it past Elizabeth to Kamchak, as courtesy demanded. About a third of the bottle was missing when Elizabeth, looking faint at having smelled the beverage, returned it to me.
Nomads of Gor page 154

Kamchak reached across Elizabeth and dragged the Paga bottle out of my hand. Then he was wrestling with Aphris and had her head back, fingers pinching her nose, the neck of the bottle thrust between her teeth. She was struggling and laughing and shaking her head. Then she had to breathe and a great draught of Paga burned its way down her throat making her gasp and cough. I doubt that she had ever before experienced a drink stronger than the syrupy wines of Turia. She was now gasping and shaking her head and Kamchak was pounding her on the back.
"Why?" I again, asked Elizabeth.
But Elizabeth, with her free left hand had seized the Paga bottle from Kamchak, and, to his amazement, had thrown back her head and taken, without realizing the full import of her action, about five lusty, guzzling swallows of Paga. Then, as I rescued the bottle, her eyes opened very wide and then blinked about ten times. She exhaled slowly as if fire might be sizzling out instead of breath and then she shook, a delayed reaction, as if she had been thumped five times and then began to couch spasmodically and painfully until I, fearing she might suffocate, pounded her several times on the back. At last, bent over, gasping for breath, she seemed to be coming around. I held her by the shoulders, and suddenly, she turned herself in my hands and, as I was sitting cross-legged, threw herself on her back across my lap, her right wrist still chained to her left ankle. She stretched insolently, as well as she could. I was astounded. She looked up at me. "Because I am better than Dina and Tenchika," she said.
Nomads of Gor page 157

"She was beautiful," cried out Aphris of Turia.
"I never knew a woman," said Elizabeth, her eyes blazing, showing few signs of the Paga, "could be so beautiful!"
"She was marvelous," I said.
"And I," howled Kamchak, "have only miserable cooking pot wenches!"
Nomads of Gor page 161

For no reason that I am quite sure of I unwisely purchased another bottle of Paga, perhaps for company in my lonely walk.
Nomads of Gor page 164

It was toward dark when Kamchak and I reached the slave wagon to buy our bottle of Paga.
Nomads of Gor page 173

"Are you not going to your wagon tonight?" he asked.
"I think not," I said.
"As you wish," said he, "but I have had it well stocked -with Paga, and Ka-la-na wines from Ar and such."
In Turia, even though we had much of the riches of the city at our disposal, there had not been much Paga or Ka-la-na wine. As I may have mentioned the Turians, on the whole, favor thick, sweet wines. I had taken, as a share of battle loot, a hundred and ten bottles of Paga and forty bottles of Ka-la-na wine from Tyros, Cos and Ar, but these I had distributed to my crossbowmen, with the exception of one bottle of Paga which Harold and I had split some two nights ago, I decided I might spend the night in my wagon. Two nights ago it had been a night for Paga. Tonight, I felt, was a night for Ka-la-na. I was pleased to learn there would be some in the wagon.
Nomads of Gor page 275

Those in the tavern looked up from the low tables. There were three Musicians against one wall. They stopped playing. The slave girls in Pleasure Silk turned and stood stock still, the Paga flasks cradled over their right forearms. Not even the bells locked to their left ankles made a sound. Not a paga bowl was lifted nor a hand moved. The men looked at the Assassin, who regarded them, one by one.
Assassin of Gor page 8

At a gesture from the proprietor, the grimy man in the tunic of white and gold, one of the serving slaves, with a flash of her ankle bells, hurried to the Assassin and set before him a bowl, which she trembling filled from the flask held over her right forearm. Then, with a furtive glance at the girl chained at the side of the room, the serving slave hurried away.
Kuurus took the paga bowl in both hands and put his head down, looking into it.
Then, somberly, he lifted it to his lips and drank.
Assassin of Gor page 9

Kuurus, with his left hand, pushed to one side his bowl of paga.
Assassin of Gor page 12

Portus hastily pushed his paga bowl up to his mouth, and swilled again, his eyes wary of the Assassin across from him.
Assassin of Gor page 19

Many were the nights a master would be found rolled in robes in a Paga tavern, where, for a bit of tarsk meat and a pot of paga, and an evening's free play with customers, he would be permitted to sleep.
Assassin of Gor page 28

Following the meal, I understood, in the House of Cernus, is a time for the pleasure and recreation of the men. There are games and sports, and wagers and song. Paga and Ka-la-na are then, when Cernus would leave, brought forth.
Assassin of Gor page 88

Cernus, as before, was lost in his game with Caprus, this time lingering at the board even long after Paga and full-strength Ka-la-na were served.
Assassin of Gor page 120

During the time of the race the hawkers of candies, sweetmeats, Kal-da, pastries and paga were quiet, standing with their goods in the aisles watching.
Assassin of Gor page 139

It was my intention to relax at the Capacian Baths, have a leisurely supper at some Paga tavern and then return to the House of Cernus.
Assassin of Gor pages 147-148

I bought the Paga, and several times we refilled our cups.
Assassin of Gor page 168

During the days of the Waiting Hand the streets are almost deserted, and in the Houses there was much fasting, and little conversation, and no song. Rations even in the House of Cernus were halved during this period. Paga and Ka-la-na were not served. The slaves in the pens received almost nothing.
Assassin of Gor page 211

Even the slaves in the iron pens in the House of Cernus received that day a small cake with oil and had their troughs filled with water mixed with Paga.
Assassin of Gor page 212

Three male house slaves stumbled by, crowned with odorous garlands woven of the Brak Brush. They were passing about a bota of paga and, between dancing and trying to hold one another up, managed to weave unsteadily by. One of them looked at me and from his eyes I judged he may have seen at least three of me and offered me a swig of the bota, which I took. "Kajuralia," said he, nearly falling over backwards, being rescued by one of his fellows, who seemed fortunately to be falling in the opposite direction at the same time. I gave him a silver coin for more paga. "Kajuralia," I said, and turned about, leaving while they collapsed on one another.
Assassin of Gor page 223

"Bring paga!" called the disguised guard, summoning a belled slave girl to him, one carrying a large vessel of Paga, that drinks might be dispensed yet once again.
Assassin of Gor page 232

Outside I stopped and turned, regarding Ho-Tu.
"I thought you did not drink paga," I said.
"I do not," said Ho-Tu.
"How is it that you are in a Paga tavern?" I asked.
"I saw Falarius leave the house," said he, "in the garb of a Leather Worker. I was curious."
Assassin of Gor page 232

This was the evening of Kajuralia.
There was much hilarity in the hall of the House of Cernus, and, though it was early in the evening, Paga and full-strength Ka-la-na were flowing.
Assassin of Gor page 237

I turned away again, wondering if there might be some Ka-la-na or perhaps even Paga, though I doubted the latter, hidden away in the room. I began to rummage through one of the chest, and then another. Still she had not moved.
Assassin of Gor page 250

Flaminius looked at me, with certain drunken awe. Then he rose in his green quarters tunic and went to a chest in his room, from which he drew forth a large bottle of paga. He opened it and, to my surprise, poured two cups. He took a good mouthful of the fluid from one of the cups, and bolted it down, exhaling with satisfaction.
"You seem to me, from what I have seen and heard," I said, "a skilled Physician."
He handed me the second cup, though I wore the black tunic.
Assassin of Gor page 265

He threw down another bolt of Paga.
Assassin of Gor page 268

"Where is the Paga?" I demanded of one of the girls. Startled, I saw, now that she stood forth from the shadows, that she had no nose.
"There, Master!" said she, pointing to a basket of bottles under the large cutting table in the center of the room.
I went to the basket and took out a bottle, a large one.
Assassin of Gor page 271

I took another bottle of paga from the basket and tossed it to the girl without a nose, who had directed me to the paga.
"Thank you, Master," said she, smiling, going back to her ring. I saw her nudge the girls on the left and right of her, "Paga," I heard her whisper.
"Kajuralia," I said to her.
"Kajuralia," she said.
Assassin of Gor page 272

Now, paga bottle in hand, I passed guards and found myself walking down the narrow iron runways over the pens below, now filled with drunken slaves, some sleeping, some sitting stupefied in the center of their pen, some singing brokenly to themselves, some trying to crawl again to the trough to lap there at the paga mixed with their water.
Assassin of Gor page 272

Descending a last spiral of iron stairs I came to the lowest level of the cylinder.
"Who goes there?" cried a startled guard.
"It is I, Kuurus, of the black caste," said I, "on the order of Cernus bringing paga to prisoners on Kajuralia!"
Assassin of Gor page 273

"It is good paga," said he. He took two or three more swallows, and then simply held the bottle, looking at it.
Assassin of Gor page 273

I heard the guard take another swallow of the paga, a long swallow, and then he sat there again, holding the bottle.
Assassin of Gor page 273

The feast was set late in the hall of Cernus and the wine and paga flowed freely.
Assassin of Gor page 311

"They would have freed you," laughed Cernus. "The men we apprehended after severe fighting, trying to cut their way to you when you lay in the dungeon. The woman tried, with paga and jewels, to bribe your guards."
Assassin of Gor page 312

A girl came in from the kitchens, followed by the man who had gone to fetch her. It was the girl to whom I had, some days ago, on the evening of my capture, tossed a bottle of paga.
Assassin of Gor page 316

At the tavern of the Greens, he had put down his goblet of paga, and had laughed, spreading out his hands, "Then," had said he, "you must have no pattern."
I laughed at his jest.
Assassin of Gor page 369

"Your paga," said the nude slave girl, who served me, her wrists chained. "It is warmed as you wished."
I took it from her, not even glancing upon her, and drained the goblet.
She knelt beside the low table, at which I sat cross-legged.
"More," I said, handing her back the goblet, again not deigning to even glance upon her.
"Yes, Master," she said, rising, taking the goblet.
I liked my paga warm. One felt it so much the sooner.
Raiders of Gor page 100

"Your paga," said the girl, who served me.
I took it from her, again not seeing her. "Go, Slave," said I.
"Yes, Master," she said and, with a rustle of chain, left my side.
I drank more paga.
So I had come to Port Kar.
Raiders of Gor page 100

"Paga! Paga!" they cried, throwing over some tables they wished, driving me from them, who had sat there, then righting the tables and sitting about them, pounding on them and shouting.
Girls ran to serve them paga.
Raiders of Gor page 101

Another girl ran to him, bearing a cup of paga. He took the cup in one hand, threw it down his throat, and carried the girl he had seized, screaming into one of the alcoves.
Raiders of Gor page 102

I threw down another burning swallow of the Paga.
Raiders of Gor 102

I took yet another swallow of paga.
Raiders of Gor 102

I took another sip of paga. It was no business of mine.
Raiders of Gor 103

I turned again to my paga.
Raiders of Gor 103

I took another drink of paga.
Raiders of Gor 105

Nude slave girls, wrists chained, hurried about. The proprietor, sweating, aproned, was tipping yet another great bottle of paga in its sling, filling cups, that they might be borne to the drinkers.
Raiders of Gor pg 105

I threw a silver tarsk, taken from what we had obtained from the slavers in the marsh, to the proprietor of the paga tavern, and took in return one of the huge bottles of paga, of the sort put in the pouring sling, and reeled out of the tavern, making my way along the narrow walkway lining the canal, toward the quarters taken by my men, Thurnock and Clitus, with our slaves.
I had pounded on the beamed door of our quarters.
"Paga!" I had cried. "I bring paga!"
Thurnock took down the beams from the door, and swung it open.
"Paga!" he shouted, pleased, seeing the great bottle.
Raiders of Gor 111

Before we set out we broke open the great bottle of paga, and Thurnock, Clitus and I clashed goblets and emptied them of their swirling fires. Then we forced each of the girls, choking and sputtering, to themselves upturn a goblet, swilling down as best they could the fiery draught. I recall Midice standing there in her silk, the leather on her wrist, shaking, coughing, paga on her mouth, looking at me with fear.
Raiders of Gor 113

That night, the girls in our arms, we feasted, lifting many cups of paga.
Raiders of Gor 114

We were served by the Kettle Slave, Telima. She poured paga for the men, and Ka-la-na for the women.
Raiders of Gor 114

Some two or three still sat groggily at the tables, staring at goblets half-filled with paga.
Raiders of Gor 120

The proprietor, when I entered, lifted his head from the counter, behind which hung a great bottle of paga in its pouring sling.
I threw down a copper tarn disk and he tilted the great bottle.
I took my goblet of paga to a table and sat down, cross-legged behind it.
I did not want to drink. I wanted only to be alone. I did not even want to think. I wanted only to be alone.
Raiders of Gor 120

I stripped away my clothes and took a cloak from Thurnock. Someone gave me a swallow of paga from a leather bota.
Raiders of Gor 171

I rose to my feet and lifted my goblet of paga, acknowledging the cries of my retainers.
Raiders of Gor 218

I threw down more paga.
Raiders of Gor 218

Now, at my victory feast, I drank more paga.
Raiders of Gor 223

I thrust out the silver paga goblet, studded with rubies, and Telima, standing beside my thronelike chair, filled it. I did not look upon her.
Raiders of Gor 223

I sat back on the great chair, paga goblet held in hand, surveying the room.
Raiders of Gor 223

"More paga," said I, putting out the goblet.
Telima poured me more paga.
Raiders of Gor 224

I did not care to hear his song. I looked down into the paga goblet. The singer continued.
Raiders of Gor 225

I extended the paga goblet to Telima and again, she filled it.
Raiders of Gor 226

I held out my paga goblet, but it was not filled. I looked about, angrily.
Raiders of Gor 231

"It is only, Master," said she, "that I wish to serve."
I laughed. She was indeed a wily wench.
"Paga?" I asked.
She looked up at me, suddenly, her eyes bright, her lips slightly parted. "No," she said, "wine."
"I see," I said.
Raiders of Gor 231

I reached drunkenly into the bag of gold beside my chair and grabbed up handfuls flinging them about the room. I stood and threw about me showers of the tarn disks of Ar, of Tyros, of Cos, Thentis, Turia and Port Kar! Men scrambled wildly laughing and fighting for the coins. Each was of double weight!
"Paga!" I cried and held back the goblet and Telima filled it.
Raiders of Gor 236

I stood drunkenly, holding to the table. I spilled paga. "Paga!" I cried, and Telima again
filled the goblet. I drank again. And then, again, wildly, shouting, crying out, I threw gold to all the corners of the room, laughing as the men fought and leaped to seize it.
Raiders of Gor 236

I cried out with rage and seized the great table, flinging it, scattering dishes and paga, from the dais.
Raiders of Gor 237

My admiral's cloak, brought with my returning men from the round ship, was given to me and I wrapped it about my shoulders. A vessel of hot paga was brought too.
Raiders of Gor 280

Samos put down a cup of paga. "How do you suppose matters in the city will proceed?" he asked Tab.
Raiders of Gor 306

I saw that a cart, loaded with jugs of paga, arrived at the compound. It was greeted with cheers by the guards.
Captive of Gor page 108

"Fetch me paga," he said.
"Yes, Master," she said.
I went to the wagon to fetch a large bota of paga, which had been filled from one of the large jugs.
Lana and Ute, too, went to the wagon, to fetch other botas, so commanded by other guards.
Soon I returned to the firelight, the heavy bota of paga, on its strap, slung over my shoulder, Ute and Lana, with theirs, behind me.
Captive of Gor page 112

This was a night for paga, for celebration. Tomorrow, Targo, and his men and his merchandise, would make their way to Laura and, crossing the river there, begin their long, overland journey to Ko-ro-ba, called by some the Towers of the Morning, and from thence to luxurious Ar itself.
Captive of Gor page 113

"Paga!" called the guard.
I hurried to him.
Captive of Gor page 113

The guard handed me a piece of meat and I took it in my teeth kneeling beside him, where he sat cross-legged, I lifting and squeezing the bota of paga, filled from one of the large jugs, guiding the stream of liquid into his mouth.
Captive of Gor page 113

I observed Inge filling the paga goblet of one of the huntsmen. She knelt closer to him than she needed to. Her lips were parted. Her eyes shone. Her hands, slightly, shook on the paga bottle.
Captive of Gor page 300

Then one night I heard, "I will buy her," and I stood transfixed with fear. I could scarcely pour the paga into his cup.
Captive of Gor page 356

"Would my captain care to join me," he asked, "in a cup of paga before we retire?"
"Perhaps, Thurnock," I said. "Perhaps."
Captive of Gor page 368

"May I serve, Masters?" she asked.
"Paga," said Samos, absently, looking at the board.
"Yes," I said.
With a flash of slave bells, she withdrew. As she left, I noticed that she passed by the kneeling male slave, flanked by his guards. She passed him as a slave girl, her head in the air, insolently, taunting him with her body.
Hunters of Gor page 8

"Paga, Masters?" asked the dark-haired girl, kneeling beside the table.
Samos, not looking at her, held forth his goblet. The girl filled the goblet.
I held for my goblet, and she, too filled mine.
"Withdraw," said Samos.
She withdrew.
I shrugged.
Hunters of Gor page 9

I glanced across the room. A few yards away, on the tiles, in her brief silk, the two-handled, bronze paga vessel beside her, knelt the slave girl, waiting to be summoned.
Hunters of Gor page 11

The slave girl, in her brief silk, stood, holding the two-handled bronze paga vessel, that she might look down upon him.
Hunters of Gor page 13

The slave girl was speechless, her eyes wide. She took a step backward, clutching the two-handled paga vessel. She shook her head.
Hunters of Gor page 14

There was a flash of slave bells at my side and a dark-haired, yellow-silked girl, a paga girl, knelt beside us, where we sat cross-legged behind the small table. "Paga, Masters?"
"For three," said I, expansively. "And bring bread and bosk, and grapes."
"Yes, Master."
Hunters of Gor page 46

One was a Player, a master who makes his living, though commonly poorly, from the game, playing for a cup of paga perhaps, and the right to sleep in the tavern at night.
Hunters of Gor page 47

We had finished with our meal. And we were now finishing second cups of paga.
Hunters of Gor page 47

"What do you think they would charge for her pelt for an hour?"
"Perhaps two copper pieces," I suggested. The other girls, the common slaves, like Tendite, went with the price of a cup of paga.
Hunters of Gor page 53

I myself expected, at that time, to be content with a cup of paga.
Hunters of Gor page 54

As Rim passed the proprietor, in his apron, behind his paga-stained counter, he tossed him the key.
Hunters of Gor page 55

I had had Thurnock give me some coins, which I had placed in my tunic. I did not wish to be embarrassed by not having the price of a cup of paga. The coins were from the profit taken on Tana and Ela.
Hunters of Gor page 55

I was served a cup of paga, and I drank it slowly, waiting for Rim and Thurnock.
They would not hurry. Gorean men do not.
I looked down into the paga cup, and swirled the liquid slowly, and again drank.
Hunters of Gor page 56

I had not seen her before. She carried a vessel of paga. She was barefoot on the tiles.
Hunters of Gor page 56

In moments, the girl approached, carrying her vessel of paga.
"Paga," I said.
Elizabeth Cardwell poured me paga.
Hunters of Gor page 56

"What are you going to do with me?" she asked.
"I have paid the price of a cup of paga," I told her.
Hunters of Gor page 59

In the pouring of paga, I knew, they would have heard much.
Hunters of Gor page 182

"Give him paga," said Thurnock.
And Sandra, in her vest of jewels, and bells, taunted me in the paga tavern in Port Kar.
I swilled paga.
"All hail Bosk, Admiral of Port Kar!" I rose drunkenly to my feet. Paga spilled from the cup. "All hail Bosk, Admiral of Port Kar!"
Hunters of Gor page 295

Before me, over the long, heavy table which I sat, I could see the large tiles of the hall floor. The table was now dark, and bare. No longer was it set with festive yellow and scarlet cloths, woven in distant Tor; no longer did it bear the freight of plates of silver from the mines of Tharna, nor of cunningly wrought goblets of gold from the smithies of luxurious Turia, Ar of the south. It was long since I had tasted the fiery paga of the Sa-Tarna fields north of the Vosk. Now, even the wines from the vineyards of Ar seemed bitter to me.
Marauders of Gor page 1

"I would have paga," I said. "And bring me the red meat of bosk."
Marauders of Gor page 22

I took the goblet, filled with burning paga. I had not had paga since returning from the northern forests.
"Ta-Sardar-Gor," said I, pouring a libation to the table. Then I stood.
Marauders of Gor page 22

I threw back my head and swilled down the paga. The meat, red and hot, was brought, and I tore it in my teeth, the juices running at the side of my mouth.
The blood and the paga were hot and dark within me. I felt the heat of the meat.
I threw from me the goblet of gold. I tore the meat and finished it.
Marauders of Gor page 22

I stood before the captain's chair. "More paga," I said. Another vessel was brought. "I drink," said I, "to the blood of beasts."
I drained the goblet and flung it from me.
Marauders of Gor page 23

The Forkbeard, who had sat near me through the hours of the lonely contest, clasped me about the shoulders. He had ordered roast bosk and hot milk, and then yellow bread and paga.
Marauders of Gor page 289

I swilled down the last swallow of a goblet of paga.
Tribesmen of Gor page 8

Samos turned away from the girl. He indicated to me a man who sat at a far end of one of the low tables. He did not drink wine or paga. The man, rare in Port Kar, wore the kaffiveh and agal.
Tribesmen of Gor page 20

"Sul paga! Sul paga!" cried Thurnus. The great staff banging on the table.
Busebius rushed to the table. "Master," he said, "we have many pagas, those of Ar and Tyros, and Ko-ro-ba, and Helmutsport, and Anango, and Tharna!"
Slave Girl of Gor page 414

The pagas mentioned by Busebius were all, of course, Sa-Tarna pagas, of various sorts and localities, varying largely in the blend.
Slave Girl of Gor page 414

The beast returned from the cabinet with two glasses and a bottle.
"Is that not the paga of Ar?" I asked.
"Is it not one of your favorites?" he asked. "See," he said. "It has the seal of the brewer, Temus."
"That is remarkable," I said. "You are very thoughtful."
"I have been saving it," he told me.
"For me?" I asked.
"Of course," he said. "I was confident you would get through."
"I am honored," I said.
"I have waited so long to talk to you," he said.
He poured two glasses of paga, and reclosed the bottle. We lifted the glasses, and touched them, the one to the other.
Beasts of Gor pages 371-372

"Paga!" called a man. I hurried to him.
Slave Girl of Gor page 297

I knew and poured the man his paga.
"Paga!" called another. I leaped to my feet, to hurry to him and serve him. Never, it seemed had we been so crowded. I had not even had time to go to Busebius, behind his counter, to have the hook bracelets removed from my wrists.
I brushed against Bina, she hurrying to serve another of our master's customers.
Slave Girl of Gor page 297

I hurried to the counter and handed Busebius, who was beaming, the paga vessel and strap. Again it had been emptied.
He dipped the vessel into the great vat of paga and returned it to me.
"Paga! Paga!" I heard. I did not even have time to slip the vessel on its strap over my shoulder. Holding its two handles in my hands, I fled back, with a jangle of slave bells, to the floor, to serve.
Slave Girl of Gor page 298

"Paga!" called the standing man. "Paga!" A blond girl, nude, with a string of pearls wound about her steel collar, ran to the table and, from the bronze vessel, on its strap, about her shoulder, poured paga into the goblet before the seated man. The fellow who stood by the table, scarcely noticing the girl, placed a tarsk bit in her mouth, and she fled back to the counter where, under the eye of a paga attendant, she spit the coin into a copper bow.
Rogue of Gor pages 77-78

In a few moments she returned through the door bearing a tray. She knelt near the table, put the tray on the floor, unbidden performed obeisance and then, as though submissively, put the tray on the table, and put the paga, in a small kantharos, and the bread on its trencher, before me. Then she put the bowl of porridge, with a spoon, before me. She then withdrew, taking the tray, put it to the side, on the floor, again performed obeisance, unbidden, and then knelt back, as though in attendance. There had been something false in her subservience.
Renegades of Gor page 71

There were perhaps a hundred men, here and there, within the enclosure, and some fifteen or twenty girls. The girls filled their vessels, which, like the hydria, or water vessel, are high-handled, for dipping, in a large kettle hung simmering over a fire near the entrance to the enclosure. Warm paga makes one drunk quicker, it is thought. I usually do not like my paga heated, except sometimes on cold nights. This night was not cold, but warm. It was now late spring. Some Cosians tend to be fond of hot paga. So, too, are some of the folks in the more northern islands, interestingly, such as Hunjer and Skjern, west of Torvaldsland. This is probably represents an influence from Cos, transmitted through merchants and seamen. In the north generally, mead, a drink made with fermented honey, and water, and often spices and such, tends to be favored over paga.
Vagabonds of Gor page 16

"Bring me paga," I said.
"Oh!" she wept, in misery. "Oh, oh."
I looked at her.
"Yes, Master," she wept, and rose quickly to her feet, hurrying toward the paga vat.
Vagabonds of Gor page 17

No comments:

Post a Comment