Friday, October 25, 2013

Ka-La-Na

After the meal, I tasted the drink, which might not inappropriately be described as an almost incandescent wine, bright, dry, and powerful. I learned later it was called Ka-la-na. While I ate, and afterwards, my father spoke.
Tarnsman of Gor page 26

I lunged for the center of the platform, breaking under my foot a small ceremonial basket filled with grain, kicking from my path a Ka-la-na container, splashing the fermented red liquid across the stone surface. I raced to the pile of stones at the center of the platform, the girl's screaming in my ears.
Tarnsman of Gor page 79

We purchased a bottle of Ka-la-na wine and shared it as we walked through the streets.
Tarnsman of Gor page 133

I went to his locker near the mat and got out his Ka-la-na flask, taking a long draught myself and then shoving it into his hands. He drained the flask in one drink and wiped his hand across his beard, stained with the red juice of the fermented drink.
Tarnsman of Gor 168

And then, in his joy, he turned to Talena and in gracious salute lifted the symbolic cup of Ka-la-na wine to her beauty.
Tarnsman of Gor page 217

I wondered why there was only water to drink, and none of the fermented beverages of Gor, such as Paga, Ka-la-na wine or Kal-da. I was sure that if these were available Vika would have set them before me.
Priest Kings of Gor page 45

He signaled to a boy who carried a skin of Ka-la-na wine over his shoulder. He took the skin of wine from the boy and bit out the horn plug; he then, with the wineskin on his shoulder, held back the head of Elizabeth Cardwell with one hand and with the other shoved the bone nozzle of the skin between her teeth; he tipped the skin and the girl, half choking, swallowed the wine; some of the red fluid ran from her mouth and over her body.
Nomads of Gor pages 39-40

"Give him Ka-la-na wine," prompted Elizabeth.
Aphris got up and fetched not a skin, but a bottle, of wine, Ka-la-na wine, from the Ka-la-na orchards of great Ar itself. She also brought a black, red-trimmed wine crater from the Isle of Cos.
"May I serve you?" she asked.
Kamchak's eyes glinted. "Yes," he said.
She poured wine into the crater and replaced the bottle. Kamchak had watched her hands very carefully. She had had to break the seal on the bottle to open it. The crater had been upside down when she picked it up. If she had poisoned the wine she had certainly done so deftly.
Nomads of Gor pages 150-151

Besides several of the flower trees there were also some Ka-la-na trees, or the yellow wine trees of Gor; there was one large-trunked, reddish Tur tree, about which curled its assemblage of Tur-Pah, a vinelike tree parasite which curled, scarlet, ovate leaves, rather lovely to look upon; the leaves of the Tur-Pah incidentally are edible and figure in certain Gorean dishes, such as sullage, a kind of soup; long ago, I had heard, a Tur tree was found on the prairie, near a spring, planted perhaps long before by someone who passed by; it was from that Tur tree that the city of Turia took its name; there was also, at one side of the garden, against the far wall, a grove of tem-wood linear, black, supple.
Nomads of Gor page 217

Harold looked the girls over and then he went to the low table and poured himself a drink, Ka-la-na wine by the smell of it.
Nomads of Gor page 220

"Are you not going to your wagon tonight?" he asked.
"I think not," I said.
"As you wish," said he, "but I have had it well stocked -with Paga, and Ka-la-na wines from Ar and such."
In Turia, even though we had much of the riches of the city at our disposal, there had not been much Paga or Ka-la-na wine. As I may have mentioned the Turians, on the whole, favor thick, sweet wines. I had taken, as a share of battle loot, a hundred and ten bottles of Paga and forty bottles of Ka-la-na wine from Tyros, Cos and Ar, but these I had distributed to my crossbowmen, with the exception of one bottle of Paga which Harold and I had split some two nights ago, I decided I might spend the night in my wagon. Two nights ago it had been a night for Paga. Tonight, I felt, was a night for Ka-la-na. I was pleased to learn there would be some in the wagon.
Nomads of Gor page 275

"Why did you come to the wagon tonight?" she asked. I didn't care precisely for the tone of voice with which she asked the question.
"For wine," I said.
"Oh," she said.
I went to the chest by the side of the wagon and pulled out a small bottle, one of several, of Ka-la-na wine which reposed there.
"Let us celebrate your freedom," I said, pouring her a small bowl of wine.
She took the bowl of wine and smiled, waiting for me to fill one for myself.
When I had done so, I faced her and said, "To a free woman, one who has been strong, one who has been brave, to Elizabeth Cardwell, to a woman who is both beautiful and free."
We touched the bowls and drank.
Nomads of Gor page 284

The logs had been prepared and carefully placed. There were hundreds of them, trimmed and squared, mostly of Ka-la-na wood, from the sweet-smelling wine trees of Gor.
Assassin of Gor page 1

The procession did not chant, nor sing, for this was not a time for such things, nor did it carry boughs of Ka-la-na, nor were the sounds of the sista or tambor heard in the sunlight that morning.
Assassin of Gor page 2

I sprang to my feet and looked about the room. There were several chests in the room, including the iron-banded one with its heavy lock. There were also some cabinets against one wall, filled with plate and cups, some bottles of paga and Ka-la-na.
Assassin of Gor page 53

The food at the table of Cernus was good, but it was plain, rather severe, like the master of the House. I had tarsk meat and yellow bread with honey, Gorean peas and a tankard of diluted Ka-la-na, warm water mixed with wine.
Assassin of Gor page 87

Following the meal, I understood, in the House of Cernus, is a time for the pleasure and recreation of the men. There are games and sports, and wagers and song. Paga and Ka-la-na are then, when Cernus would leave, brought forth.
Assassin of Gor page 88

The meal was served by slave girls in white tunics, each wearing a white-enameled collar. These would be girls in training, some of them perhaps White Silk Girls, being accustomed to the routines and techniques of serving at table.
One of them carried a large pitcher of diluted Ka-la-na wine and stepped behind us, climbing the two steps to the broad wooden dais on which our tables were set. She bent over my left shoulder woodenly, her body stiff, "Wine, Master?" she asked.
"She-sleen," hissed Ho-Tu. "How is it that you first serve wine to a strange man at the table of your master?"
"Forgive Lana," said she, tears springing to her eyes.
Assassin of Gor pages 88-89

Cernus, as before, was lost in his game with Caprus, this time lingering at the board even long after Paga and full-strength Ka-la-na were served.
Assassin of Gor page 120

"Why is it," I asked Ho-Tu, whom I felt I had come to know somewhat better in the day, "that when others have Ka-la-na and meat and bread and honey you eat only this porridge?"
Ho-Tu pushed back the bowl.
"It is not important," he said.
"Very well," I said.
Assassin of Gor page 120

A girl in a tunic of white silk, gracefully, carrying a large pitcher of diluted Ka-la-na wine, approached our table from the rear, and climbed the stairs, delicately, and as though timidly, head down.
Assassin of Gor page 186

I took a deep drink of the diluted Ka-la-na wine I had been served.
Assassin of Gor page 188

The foods given also changed with the advance in their training, and the desire to have varied, tasty fare, and sometimes a small bowl of Ka-la-na with their supper, drove them to perform well.
Assassin of Gor pages 198-199

During the days of the Waiting Hand the streets are almost deserted, and in the Houses there was much fasting, and little conversation, and no song. Rations even in the House of Cernus were halved during this period. Paga and Ka-la-na were not served. The slaves in the pens received almost nothing.
Assassin of Gor page 211

We were given some small cups of tin, containing some diluted Ka-la-na that the girls had probably stolen.
"After we have been served wine,"announced the girl, " we will use these slaves for our pleasure."
Before we were permitted to serve the wine, garlands of talenders were swiftly woven about our necks.
Then each of use gave some of the girls wine, asking each "Wine, Mistress?" to which each of the girls, with a laugh, would cry out, "Yes, I will have wine!"
"You will serve me the wine, Slave!" said the long-legged, black-haired girl.
Assassin of Gor page 225

Then she looked down, defeated. "I will serve you wine," said she, "Master."
"No," I said.
She looked at me, puzzled. Then she nodded her head, and, reached to the disrobing loop on her left shoulder.
"No," I said gently.
She looked at me, startled.
"I," I said, "will serve you wine."
She looked at me in disbelief while I filled one of the small tin cups with diluted Ka-la-na and handed it to her.
Assassin of Gor page 227

This was the evening of Kajuralia.
There was much hilarity in the hall of the House of Cernus, and, though it was early in the evening, Paga and full-strength Ka-la-na were flowing.
Assassin of Gor page 237

"Kajuralia, Master," said Elizabeth Cardwell to Ho-Tu, smiling sweetly, as she passed with a pitcher of Ka-la-na.
Assassin of Gor pages 237-238

"Little pock-face," called Relius. "I would be served!"
Virginia Kent, with her pitcher of Ka-la-na, ran light-footed to Relius, guard in the House of Cernus.
"Let Lana serve Relius wine," said another girl, a Red Silk Girl, first to the guard, leaning toward him, lips parted.
Relius put out his cup but before the girl could pour the wine she seemed suddenly to fly off the back of the dais, the seat of her tunic firmly grasped in the small hand of Virginia Kent. Lana landed with a considerable bump on the stones of the hall, the wine flying backward.
Assassin of Gor page 238

"It seems I am not going to be served," said Relius, as though rather bored with the whole matter.
Virginia Kent straightened herself, bent down and picked up her pitcher of Ka-la-na, smiled shyly, and approached her guard.
He put forth his goblet, but suddenly, unexpectedly, she drew back the pitcher.
Assassin of Gor page 239

"It seems I am not going to be served," said Relius, as though rather bored with the whole matter.
Virginia Kent straightened herself, bent down and picked up her pitcher of Ka-la-na, smiled shyly, and approached her guard.
He put forth his goblet, but suddenly, unexpectedly, she drew back the pitcher.
Assassin of Gor page 239

"Don't look so disappointed," said a Red Silk Girl passing near her, carrying Ka-la-na.
Phyllis made an angry noise.
Assassin of Gor page 242

Then, to my horror, I saw Elizabeth, her back straight, her step determined, walk straight to Cernus and then, slowly, as his mouth flew open and he seemed scarcely to understand what was occurring, pour the rest of the contents of the vessel of Ka-la-na directly on his head.
"Kajuralia," said Elizabeth to him, turning away.
Ho-Tu then, to my great relief, rose to his feet, lifting both hands. "Kajuralia, Ubar!" he cried.
Assassin of Gor page 243

I turned away again, wondering if there might be some Ka-la-na or perhaps even Paga, though I doubted the latter, hidden away in the room. I began to rummage through one of the chest, and then another. Still she had not moved.
Assassin of Gor page 250

"I am sorry," said I, "Sura," I looked upon her. "I was looking for Ka-la-na."
She looked at me, bewildered.
"It is in the last chest," she whispered.
I went to the last chest along the wall and opened it, finding a bottle and some bowls. "You are a fortunate slave," I said, "to have Ka-la-na in your quarters."
Assassin of Gor pages 251-252

I turned suddenly into the kitchen in which the food for the hall of Cernus is prepared. Some startled slaves leaped up, each chained by one ankle to her ring; but most slept, drunk; one or two, too drunk to notice me, were sitting against the wall, their left ankles chained to their slave rings, a bottle of Ka-la-na in their grasp, their hair falling forward.
Assassin of Gor page 271

"Claudia Tentia Hinrabia," said Cernus to those assembled, while he quaffed yet another goblet of Ka-la-na, "is well known throughout Ar as a most strict and demanding mistress. It is said that once, when a slave dropped a mirror, she had the poor girl's ears and nose cut off, and then sold the then worthless wench."
Assassin of Gor page 315

I had the Gorean short sword in its scabbard, my shield and helmet, and, wrapped in leather, a Gorean long bow of supple Ka-la-na wood, from the yellow wine trees of Gor, tipped with notched bosk horn at each end, loose strung with hemp whipped with silk, and a roll of sheaf and flight arrows.
Raiders of Gor page 2

Clitus, too, had brought two bottle of Ka-la-na wine, a string of eels, cheese of the Verr, and a sack of red olives from the groves of Tyros.
Raiders of Gor 114

We were served by the Kettle Slave, Telima. She poured paga for the men, and Ka-la-na for the women.
Raiders of Gor 114

"Ka-la-na!" I called.
A cup was brought. And I took her by the hair and held back her head, pouring the wine down her throat, some of it running down her face and body, under the slave collar and its bells.
Raiders of Gor 230

The guards had liked us, muchly, and had apparently expected that they would for, to our delight, they had purchased a small bottle of Ka-la-na wine, in a wicker basket, which they had permitted us, swallow by swallow to share. I had never tasted so rich and delicate a wine on Earth, and yet here, on this world, it cost only a copper tarn disk and was so cheap, and plentiful, that it might be given even to a female slave. I remembered each of the four swallows which I had. I tasted them even still, with the meat and bread which I had eaten. It was the first Gorean fermented beverage which I had tasted. It was said that Ka-la-na has an unusual effect on a female. I think it is true.
Captive of Gor page 114

Meanwhile the Ka-la-na bottle was brought forth again by another guard. He held it for Lana to drink, and then passed it to Ute and myself. There was a bit left and I gave it back to him, and he handed it to the now-belled Lana. With a barbaric jangle of bells she threw back her head and finished the bottle.
Captive of Gor page 115

"She even had Ka-la-na wine," sneered one of the girls.
"Fortunate slave," said Verna.
I said nothing. I was furious.
"It is said," said Verna, "that Ka-la-na wine makes any woman a slave, if but for an hour." She looked at me, "Is it true?"
Captive of Gor page 124

In the private pens we were given better food, lean meats and vegetables and fruits, and, if our group had trained acceptably, after the evening meal, before being returned, hooded, to the public pens, we would be given candies or pastries, or sometimes, a swallow of Ka-la-na wine.
Captive of Gor page 163

I had even been given a swallow of Ka-la-na wine, which exquisite beverage I had not tasted since the time of my capture, long ago, by Verna outside of Targo's compound.
Captive of Gor page 270

He extended his goblet to him. "Drink," he said, offering me the cup.
I looked at the rim of the cup. I shook with terror. "A slave girl dares not touch with her lips the rim of that cup which has been touched with the lips of her master," I whispered.
"Excellent," said Verna.
"She was trained in the pens of Ko-ro-ba," said Rask of Treve.
He then, from his own cup, poured some wine into a small bowl, which he handed to me.
"Thank you, Master," I breathed.
With his head Rask of Treve gestured me to one side, and I went and knelt to one side, as I had before.
I put back my head and drank the wine. It was Ka-la-na wine. I felt it almost immediately.
Captive of Gor page 302

We regarded one another.
"Serve me wine," he said.
I turned and, among the furnishings of the tent, found a bottle of Ka-la-na, of good vintage, from the vineyards of Ar, the loot of a caravan raid. I then took the wine, with a small copper bowl, and a black, red-trimmed wine crater, to the side of the fire. I poured some of the wine into the small copper bowl, and set it on the tripod over the tiny fire in the fire bowl.
Captive of Gor page 331

She carried two large bottles of wine, red Ka-la-na, from the vineyards of Ar.
"Fetch, too," said Rim, "a sack of cups."
"Yes, Master," she said.
Hunters of Gor page 21

One of the men, glancing about the hut, said, "Ka-la-na!" He pointed to the side of the hut.
There, tied together by the necks, were some six bottles of Ka-la-na.
He went to them and looked at them, lifting them. They were in dark bottles. He turned them about. "From the vineyards of Ar," he whistled. It was choice Ka-la-na.
"The panther girls were fortunate in their spoils," said one of Arn's men.
Hunters of Gor page 122

The man, one of Arn's, who had seen the Ka-la-na by the wall, crawled over to it. He pulled the bottles into his lap, and began to work at the cork of one of them.
I looked at Arn.
"Do not become drunk," said Arn to the man.
"I shall not," he said. With his sleen knife he had pried the cork up a bit from the bottle. He then, slowly, with his fingers and teeth, managed to withdraw the cork.
"Later," I said.
He looked at Arn, and Arn nodded. The man, irritably, thrust back the cork in the bottle.
Hunters of Gor page 123

"I," said Arn, grimacing, "have not, for more than a year, tasted Ka-la-na from Ar."
"Nor I," said one of his men.
It was indeed choice Ka-la-na. My mind, more than once, had wandered to it.
"Captain," said one of my men.
"Very well," I said. The panther girls, in all probability, would not return for another Ahn or two.
The fellow who had removed the cork from the bottle was first to it, and again withdrew the cork.
He threw it to his lips and threw back his head.
I took the bottle from him.
"That's enough," I said.
"It is good!" he said.
Hunters of Gor page 123

"We shall open only this bottle," I said. "The others we may enjoy later."
They would not become drunk. One bottle of Ka-la-na among ten men is nothing. Ka-la-na is not paga or the strong beer of the north.
I did not, on the other hand, want the entire stock of Ka-la-na emptied.
Hunters of Gor page 124

The two men, men of mine, who were going forth to relieve the guard, had their swallows from the bottle. They then left. Arn then took the bottle and drank from it, his head back, swiftly.
"Enough," I said.
The men, his and mine, passed the bottle about. In a short time the two men who had been relieved of guard duty in the forest re-entered the hut. They, too, had their Ka-la-na. There was little left.
Hunters of Gor page 124

"Captain," said one of my men, handing me the bottle.
I put back my head and finished it. It was bitter, the dregs, but it had in it the warmth and flash of the fine Ka-la-na of Ar. It was a red Ka-la-na. It was a choice Ka-la-na. The vineyards of Ar, as those of Cos, were among the finest on all Gor.
Hunters of Gor page 124

Arn looked up at me, blinking. The man who had opened the bottle of Ka-la-na, he who had first drunk, and most deeply, lay at one side of the hut, his knees drawn up to his stomach. "Get him!" I said. "And run! Run!"
Hunters of Gor page 124

Other girls, with bits of food, gave us to feed, with their tiny fingers placing tidbits, delicacies, into our mouths. One girl held back our head, and others, from goblets, gave us of wines, Turian wines, sweet and thick, Ta wine, from the famed Ta grapes, from the terraces of Cos, wines even, Ka-la-nas, sweet and drys, from distant Ar. Our heads swirled. We heard music. Musicians had entered the room. "Feast," said the man on the dais.
Tribesmen of Gor page 213

"Wine, Slave Girl," said Marla, holding her cup to me.
Angrily I put down the Sul paga and fetched the flask of the Ka-la-na of Ar, and filled her cup.
Slave Girl of Gor page 134

No comments:

Post a Comment