Friday, October 25, 2013

Pots, Pans & Dishes

Cooking Pots and Pans
Tuchuk women, unveiled, in their long leather dresses, long hair bound in braids, tended cooking pots hung on tem-wood tripods over dung fires.
Nomads of Gor page 27

The dour women of the Wagon Peoples, I saw, looked on these girls with envy and hatred, sometimes striking them with sticks if they should approach too closely the cooking pots and attempt to steal a piece of meat.
Nomads of Gor page 30

Kamchak strode among the wagons, toward the sound and I followed him closely. Many others, too, rushed to the sound, and we were jostled by armed warriors, scarred and fierce; by boys with unscarred faces, carrying the pointed sticks used often for goading the wagon bosk; by leather-clad women hurrying from the cooking pots; by wild, half-clothed children; even by enslaved Kajir-clad beauties of Turia; even the girl was there who wore but bells and collar, struggling under her burden, long dried strips of bosk meat, as wide as beams, she too hurrying to see what might be the meaning of the drums and horn, of the shouting Tuchuks.
Nomads of Gor page 34

"Ho!" cried Kamchak, stomping into the wagon. "Meat!" he cried.
Elizabeth and Aphris leaped to tend the pot outside.
He then settled down cross-legged on the rug, not far from the brass and copper grating.
Nomads of Gor page 149

"Here comes the slaves," said Kamchak.
Elizabeth and Aphris entered, carrying the kettle between them, which they sat on the brass and copper grating over the fire bowl in the wagon.
"Go ahead and ask him," prompted Elizabeth, "Slave."
Aphris seemed frightened, confused.
"Meat!" said Kamchak.
Nomads of Gor page 150

Before the feast I had helped the women, cleaning fish and dressing marsh gants, and then, later, turning spits for the roasted tarsks, roasted over rence-root fires kept on metal pans, elevated above the rence of the island by metal racks, themselves resting on larger pans.
Raiders of Gor page 44

With them, her hair combed, warmed with a broth of dried bosk meat, heated in a copper kettle, over a fire on a rimmed iron plate, legged, set on another plate on the stern quarter, her hands tied behind her with simple binding fiber, had gone Aelgifu.
Marauders of Gor page 75

"Will you swear, too," he asked, "by the grain of your fields, the boundary stones of your holdings, the locks on your chests and salt on your table?"
"Yes, yes!" said Svein Blue Tooth, irritatedly. "I so swear."
The Forkbeard seemed lost in thought. I assumed he was trying to think of ways to strengthen the Blue Tooth's oath. It seemed to me a mighty oath already. I thought it quite sufficient.
"And, too, I swear," said Svein Blue Tooth, "by the bronze of my ladles and the bottoms of my butter pans!"
Marauders of Gor page 184

"You are worked hard here?" I asked.
"Oh, yes!" she laughed. "From morning to dark I am worked. I must gather brush and kaiila dung and make fires; I must cook the stews and porridges, and clean the pans and the bowls; I must shake out the mats and sweep the sand in the tents; I must rub the garments and polish the boots and leather; I must do the mending and sewing; I weave; I make ropes; I bead leather; I pound grain; I tend the kaiila; twice daily I milk the she-kaiila; I do many things; I am much worked."
Tribesmen of Gor page 139

"You, yourself," she said, "have made me make your tea."
"Is it ready?" I asked. I looked at the tiny copper kettle on the small stand. A tiny kaiila-dung fire burned under it. A small, heavy, curved glass was nearby, on a flat box, which would hold some two ounces of tea. Bazi tea is drunk in tiny glasses, usually three at a time, carefully measured. She did not make herself tea, of course.
Tribesmen of Gor pages 139-140

She built up the fire.
I watched her.
She unfolded and adjusted a single-bar cooking rack, placing it over the fire. From this she suspended a kettle of water. The single bar, which may be loosened in its rings, and has a handle, may also function as a spit.
Renegades of Gor page 150

Feed Pans
The second girl had been watching what had gone on. Ho-Tu, with his foot, kicked her gruel pan toward her, which slid under the bars of the gate. She lifted it to her lips and began to eat, trembling.
Assassin of Gor page 126

Flaminius paid the second girl no attention. "Eat your gruel, Virginia," said he, soothingly, to the first girl.
"What are you going to do with us?" asked the first girl.
"Let us out!" cried the second girl, shaking the bars. "Let us out!"
Virginia Kent picked up the gruel pan and put it to her lips, taking some of the stuff.
"Let us out!" cried the second girl.
"Now drink," said Flaminius.
Virginia lifted the pan of water, and took a sip. The pan was battered, tin, rusted.
Assassin of Gor page 130

We watched as the girl lifted first the gruel pan and then the water pan to her lips, tasting the gruel, taking a swallow of the water.
Assassin of Gor page 131

I was ravenously hungry. I had little doubt that Ute would have saved me a roll from the feeding pan. I loved her! She would also, however, have a full roster of work for me to perform this day.
Captive of Gor page 348

Feeding Trough
Before we had been ushered into the cell, outside, in a broad rectangular chamber, two of the mine attendants had poured a tub of bread and vegetables into the feed trough fixed in the wall, and the slaves had rushed upon it, like animals, screaming, cursing, pushing, jostling, trying to thrust their hands into the trough and carry away as much as they could before it was gone.
Outlaw of Gor page 148

There was a new Tatrix in Tharna.
"Who is the new Tatrix?" I asked.
"Dorna the Proud," said the slave, who tumbled onions, turnips, radishes, potatoes and bread into the feed trough.
Outlaw of Gor page155

The victor, on the other hand, turned about and raised his hands. He was greeted with cheers and was immediately taken to the table on my left, where he was seated at the far end of the table, before a plate heaped with meat, which he began to devour, holding it in his hands, eyes wild, almost lost in the food, to the amusement of the watching men. I gathered the feed troughs in the pens of the male slaves seldom contained viands so choice.
Assassin of Gor page 88

Poor Elizabeth, I thought. She would be hungry tonight and in the morning would have to go to the feed troughs in the quarters of the female staff slaves, probably for water and a porridge of grain and vegetables.
Assassin of Gor page 89

"Do you know what time it is?" she asked.
"No," I admitted.
"If you'd listen to the bars," she said, "you'd know."
"What time is it?" I asked.
"It is past the eighth bar," she informed me.
"So?" I asked.
"So," she said, "I have not had anything to eat since yesterday morning and if I am not at the trough in the quarters for female staff slaves by the small bar after the eighth bar I will miss breakfast. I cannot simply go down to the kitchen like you and demand five vulo eggs!"
Assassin of Gor page 103

"It seems to me," I said, "you lingered long over your breakfast."
"The porridge in the trough this morning," said she, "was simply marvelous."
Assassin of Gor page 104

I shared the breakfast with Elizabeth, who informed me that it was better than the porridge below in the trough in the feeding room for female staff slaves, marvelous though the latter might have been.
Assassin of Gor pages 106-107

She replaced the scrolls in the pigeonholes of a scroll bin and Caprus slid the cover over the bin and locked it, and then with a word to him, she lightly ran past us and disappeared down the hall.
"With speed like that," said Ho-Tu, smiling, "she will not be the last to arrive at the porridge trough."
Assassin of Gor page 120

Even the slaves in the iron pens in the House of Cernus received that day a small cake with oil and had their troughs filled with water mixed with Paga.
Assassin of Gor page 212

"The cages are not pleasant," she said. "My cage measures four paces by four paces. In it are twenty girls. Food is thrown to use from above. We drink from a trough."
Marauders of Gor page 12

Trenchers
"Release their hands," I said to a seaman, "and feed them."
The girls looked at one another, wonderingly. The seaman unbound their wrists from behind their backs, and filled two trenchers, steaming now with bosk and vulo, which he thrust in their hands.
I watched them while, with fingers and teeth, they devoured the food.
Hunters of Gor page 36

Pretty Ankles hurried past, carrying a great trencher of roast meat on her small shoulder.
Marauders of Gor page 129

In a few moments she returned through the door bearing a tray. She knelt near the table, put the tray on the floor, unbidden performed obeisance and then, as though submissively, put the tray on the table, and put the paga, in a small kantharos, and the bread on its trencher, before me. Then she put the bowl of porridge, with a spoon, before me. She then withdrew, taking the tray, put it to the side, on the floor, again performed obeisance, unbidden, and then knelt back, as though in attendance. There had been something false in her subservience.
Renegades of Gor page 71

Bowl, Black Wine
A girl slave, in a white tunic and white collar, barefoot, came to the table, and knelt before it.
"What is that I smell?" I asked.
"Black wine," said she, "from the Mountains of Thentis."
I had heard of black wine, but had never had any. It is drunk in Thentis, but I had never heard of it being much drunk in any of the other cities.
"Bring two bowls," I said.
"Two?" asked the girl.
"The slave," I said, indicating Elizabeth, "will taste it first."
"Of course, Master," said the girl
Assassin of Gor page 106

"I have heard," I said to Elizabeth, "that black wine is served hot."
"Incredible," she smiled.
In short order two bowls, steam curling out of them, were brought and placed on the table.
I sat there staring down at them, and Elizabeth did, too.
Then I picked up one of the thick, heavy clay bowls. Since no one was looking, we knocked the bowls together gently, and put them to our lips.
It was extremely strong, and bitter, but it was hot, and, unmistakably, it was coffee.
Assassin of Gor page 106

Bowl, Wine
"Why did you come to the wagon tonight?" she asked. I didn't care precisely for the tone of voice with which she asked the question.
"For wine," I said.
"Oh," she said.
I went to the chest by the side of the wagon and pulled out a small bottle, one of several, of Ka-la-na wine which reposed there.
"Let us celebrate your freedom," I said, pouring her a small bowl of wine.
She took the bowl of wine and smiled, waiting for me to fill one for myself.
When I had done so, I faced her and said, "To a free woman, one who has been strong, one who has been brave, to Elizabeth Cardwell, to a woman who is both beautiful and free."
We touched the bowls and drank.
Nomads of Gor page 284

Elizabeth had now finished her wine. She had arisen and rinsed out the bowl and replaced it.
Nomads of Gor page 288

I stood up and threw the wine bowl to the side of the room. It shattered against the wine chest.
Nomads of Gor page 291

The foods given also changed with the advance in their training, and the desire to have varied, tasty fare, and sometimes a small bowl of Ka-la-na with their supper, drove them to perform well.
Assassin of Gor pages 198-199

"I am sorry," said I, "Sura," I looked upon her. "I was looking for Ka-la-na."
She looked at me, bewildered.
"It is in the last chest," she whispered.
I went to the last chest along the wall and opened it, finding a bottle and some bowls. "You are a fortunate slave," I said, "to have Ka-la-na in your quarters."
Assassin of Gor pages 251-252

She looked at me blankly, and then, still clutching the doll, put out one hand, trembling, to take the bowl of wine from me. It began to spill, and I steadied it, lifting it with her hand to her lips.
She drank, as had the black-haired girl, the leader of the girls of the Street of Pots.
Then, when she had lowered the bowl, I took my drink, that she would have drunk first.
Assassin of Gor page 252

It was a low tent, and only near its center could a man walk upright. Inside, in a brass pan, there was a small fire of coals. Over the coals, on a tripod, there was, warming, a small metal wine bowl. Warriors of Treve, I had heard, had a fondness for warm wines. I supposed that Rask of Treve might have his wine so.
Captive of Gor page 274

He then, from his own cup, poured some wine into a small bowl, which he handed to me.
"Thank you, Master," I breathed.
With his head Rask of Treve gestured me to one side, and I went and knelt to one side, as I had before.
I put back my head and drank the wine. It was Ka-la-na wine. I felt it almost immediately.
Captive of Gor page 302

Cups
Most of the gold and jewels, and precious plate and cups and goblets, were missing, except where here and there a coin or stone might lie missed at the edge of the wagon hides or at the foot of one of the curved wagon poles.
Nomads of Gor page 267

I sprang to my feet and looked about the room. There were several chests in the room, including the iron-banded one with its heavy lock. There were also some cabinets against one wall, filled with plate and cups, some bottles of paga and Ka-la-na.
Assassin of Gor page 53

We were given some small cups of tin, containing some diluted Ka-la-na that the girls had probably stolen.
"After we have been served wine,"announced the girl, " we will use these slaves for our pleasure."
Before we were permitted to serve the wine, garlands of talenders were swiftly woven about our necks.
Then each of use gave some of the girls wine, asking each "Wine, Mistress?" to which each of the girls, with a laugh, would cry out, "Yes, I will have wine!"
"You will serve me the wine, Slave!" said the long-legged, black-haired girl.
Assassin of Gor page 225

Then she looked down, defeated. "I will serve you wine," said she, "Master."
"No," I said.
She looked at me, puzzled. Then she nodded her head, and, reached to the disrobing loop on her left shoulder.
"No," I said gently.
She looked at me, startled.
"I," I said, "will serve you wine."
She looked at me in disbelief while I filled one of the small tin cups with diluted Ka-la-na and handed it to her.
Assassin of Gor page 227

They were perhaps the doors to the compartments of slaves, housing little more doubtless than a straw mat, a washing bowl, and a small box in which might be kept some slave livery and perhaps simple utensils, a plate and a cup.
Assassin of Gor pages 394-395

"Drink with me the cup of the Free Companionship," said Relius, rather sternly.
"Yes, Master," said Virginia, "yes!"
"Relius," said he.
"I love you!" she cried. "I love you, Relius!"
"Bring the wine of Free Companionship!" decreed Marlenus.
The wine was brought and Relius and Virginia, lost in one another's eyes, arms interlocked, drank together.
Assassin of Gor page 402

There was another bowl and a cup or two, and two or three gourds. Some utensils were in the bowl, a wooden stirring stick and a wooden ladle, both carved from rence root.
Raiders of Gor page 33

This afternoon, for the first time in weeks, the raids of Rask of Treve had been successful. Eleven girls had been brought in, and much treasure. Laughing, bloody tarnsmen, with strings of pearls thrown about their necks, and cups and goblets tied at their saddles, and their saddle packs bulging with the weight of golden tarn disks, had brought their tarns down, wings beating, to receive the greetings of the camp.
Captive of Gor page 321

Bosk of Port Kar lifted the cup to his lips.
I put forth my hand. "Do not drink it, Master," I said. "It is poisoned."
Captive of Gor pages 360-361

She carried two large bottles of wine, red Ka-la-na, from the vineyards of Ar.
"Fetch, too," said Rim, "a sack of cups."
"Yes, Master," she said.
Hunters of Gor page 21

I glanced back to see Thurnock lowering Cara over the side, with the wine and sack of cups, into the waiting arms of her master, Rim.
He did not carry her, but set her on her feet in the water, and then turned after me.
Thurnock had tied the two bottles of wine about her neck, that it might be easier for her, and she held the sack of cups over her head, that they might not be washed with sea water. It was thus that she made her way to shore.
Hunters of Gor page 21

I held forth my cup, for wine. The slave girl filled it.
Hunters of Gor page 148

Marlenus snapped his fingers, pointing to his cup on the table.
The slave girl came forward, from where she knelt to one side, and, kneeling, from a two-handled vessel, filled it. She was very beautiful.
"I, too, shall have wine," I said.
She filled my cup. Our eyes met. She looked down. She was barefoot. Her one garment was a brief slip of diaphanous yellow silk. Her brand was clearly visible beneath it, high on the left thigh. On her throat, half concealed by her long blond hair, was a collar of steel, the steel of Ar.
Hunters of Gor page 149

"Water! Water!" called the man.
"Water," I said.
He came to me, bent over, tattered, swarthy, grinning up at me, the verrskin bag over his shoulder, the brass cups, a dozen of them, attached to shoulder straps and his belt, rattling and clinking. His shoulder on the left was damp from the bag.
Tribesmen of Gor page 36

I finished the cup of water and handed the cup back to the water carrier. He bowed, grinning, the bag swollen and bulging, damp on his shoulder, and, hooking the cup on his belt, backed away. "Water!" he called. "Water!"
Tribesmen of Gor page 38

Ibn Saran lifted another finger. From the side there, hastened to him another girl, a fair-skinned, red-haired girl. She too, wore veil, vest, chalwar, bangles, collar. She carried a tray, on which were various spoons and sugars. She knelt, placing her tray on the table. With a tiny spoon, it tip no more than a tenth of a hort in diameter, she placed four measures of white sugar, and six of yellow, in the cup; with two stirring spoons, one for the white sugar, another for the yellow, she stirred the beverage after each measure. She then held the cup to the side of her cheek, testing its temperature; Ibn Saran glanced at her; she looking at him, timidly kissed the side of the cup and placed it before him. Then, her head down, she withdrew.
Tribesmen of Gor page 89

She rose swiftly to her feet. She knelt, head down, before me. She poured, carefully, the hot, black beverage into the tiny red cup. I dismissed her.
Tribesmen of Gor page 105

Then her manner changed. She became arrogant, angry. "Serve me wine, Slave," she said.
I went to the wine table and, from the curved vessel, poured a small cup of wine. I gave this to her. She sat, on the edge of the couch, and sipped it.
Tribesmen of Gor page 197

I poured myself a small cup of the wine, and drank it, replacing the cup on the table.
Tribesmen of Gor page 197

On the tray, too, was the metal vessel which had contained the black wine, steaming and bitter, from far Thentis, famed for its tarn flocks, and the small yellow-enameled cups from which we had drunk the black wine, its spoons and sugars, a tiny bowl of mint sticks, and the softened, dampened cloths on which we had wiped our fingers.
Explorers of Gor page 10

"You may serve the black wine now, in small cups, Lola," said Miss Henderson.
"Yes, Mistress," whispered Lola.
This was a delicacy. I had purchased some, some days ago, but we had not yet served it. In a few Ehn Lola returned with the tray, with the vessel of steaming liquid, the creams and sugars, the tiny cups, and the small spoons for mixing and measuring.
"Delicious," said Miss Henderson.
"Thank you, Mistress," said Lola. She then drew back a bit, and knelt, to be unobtrusive, and yet available, instantly, to serve, should free folk wish aught.
Rogue of Gor page 132

The two slaves, their chains removed, now returned, and began to serve the black wine. The voluptuous slave of Aemilianus, whom he had not yet named, placed the tiny silver cups, on small stands, before us. The lovely little slave in bluish gauze, whom I had not yet named, holding the narrow-spouted, silver pouring vessel in a heavy cloth, to retain its heat and protect her hands, poured the scalding, steaming black fluid, in narrow, tiny streams, into the small cups. She poured into the cups only the amounts that would be compatible with the assorted sugars and creams which the guest might desire, if any, these being added in, and stirred, if, and as, pertinent, by Aemilianus' slave, who directed the serving.
Guardsman of Gor page 244

"Second slave," I told her, which among the river towns, and in certain cities, particularly in the north, is a way of indicating that I would take the black wine without creams or sugars, and as it came from the pouring vessel, which, of course, in these areas, is handled by the "second slave," the first slave being the girl who puts down the cups, takes the orders and sees that the beverage is prepared according to the preferences of the one who is being served.
"Second slave," said the slave of Aemilianus.
"Yes, Mistress," said the girl in the bluish gauze. She was extremely careful not to spill a drop. Black wine, except in the vicinity of Thentis, where most of it is grown on the slopes of the Thentis range, is quite expensive. Also, of course, clumsy slave girls are often whipped. The expression "second slave," incidentally, serves to indicate that one does not wish creams or sugars with one's black wine, even if only one girl is serving.
Guardsman of Gor page 245

I brought up from the kitchen, where I had been keeping it hot, a vessel of black wine, with sugars, and cups and spoons. Too, I had brought up a small bowl of powdered bosk milk. We had finished the creams last night and, in any event, it was unlikely they would have lasted the night. If I had wanted creams I would had to have gone to the market.
Guardsman of Gor page 295

Twice he poured me water from a bag into a cup. He indicated the side of the cup from which I might drink. When a cup is shared masters and slaves do not drink from the same side of the cup.
Kajira of Gor page 216

Susan then approached the diners. "Black wine, Masters?" she asked.
"Yes," said Drusus Rencius.
"Yes," said Publius.
Susan then turned to me and snapped her fingers. "Sheila," she called.
"Yes, Mistress," I said. I took the vessel of black wine, removing it from its warmer, and put it on its tray, that already bearing the tiny cups, the creams and sugars, the spices, the napkins and spoons. I then carried the tray, with the black wine, hot and steaming, to the table and put it down there. Susan then, as "first slave," took the orders and did the measuring and the mixing; I, as "second slave," did the pouring. Afterwards I returned the tray to the serving table, and the vessel of black wine to its warmer. I then joined Susan, kneeling beside her in the vicinity of the serving table.
Kajira of Gor pages 405-406

Crater, Wine
"Give him Ka-la-na wine," prompted Elizabeth.
Aphris got up and fetched not a skin, but a bottle, of wine, Ka-la-na wine, from the Ka-la-na orchards of great Ar itself. She also brought a black, red-trimmed wine crater from the Isle of Cos.
"May I serve you?" she asked.
Kamchak's eyes glinted. "Yes," he said.
She poured wine into the crater and replaced the bottle. Kamchak had watched her hands very carefully. She had had to break the seal on the bottle to open it. The crater had been upside down when she picked it up. If she had poisoned the wine she had certainly done so deftly.
Nomads of Gor pages 150-151

"Serve me wine," I said.
She did so, kneeling before me, head down, handing me the black, red-trimmed wine crater, that of the master, as had Aphris to Kamchak. I drank.
Nomads of Gor page 293

We regarded one another.
"Serve me wine," he said.
I turned and, among the furnishings of the tent, found a bottle of Ka-la-na, of good vintage, from the vineyards of Ar, the loot of a caravan raid. I then took the wine, with a small copper bowl, and a black, red-trimmed wine crater, to the side of the fire. I poured some of the wine into the small copper bowl, and set it on the tripod over the tiny fire in the fire bowl.
Captive of Gor page 331

Again I took the bowl from the fire. It was now not comfortable to hold the bowl, but it was not painful to do so. I poured the wine from the small copper bowl into the black, red-trimmed wine crater, placing the small bowl in a rack to one side of the fire. I swirled, slowly, the wine in the wine crater. I saw my reflection in the redness, the blondness of my hair, dark in the wine, and the collar, with its bells, about my throat.
I now, in the fashion of the slave girl of Treve, held the wine crater against my right cheek. I could feel the warmth of the wine through the side of the crater.
"Is it ready?" he asked.
A master of Treve does not care to be told that his girl thinks it is. He wishes to be told Yes, or No.
"Yes," I whispered.
I did not know how he cared for his wine, some men of Treve wish it warm, others almost hot. I did not know how he wished it. What if it were not as he wished it!
"Serve me wine," he said.
I, carrying the wine crater, rose to my feet and approached him. I then knelt before him, with a rustle of slave bells, in the position of a pleasure slave. I put my head down and, with both hands, extending my arms to him, held forth the wine crater. "I offer you wine, Master," I said.
He took the wine, and I watched, in terror. He sipped it, and smiled. I nearly fainted. I would not be beaten.
I knelt there, while he, at his leisure, drank the wine.
Captive of Gor page 332

He put his hand in my hair and held my head back.
"Open your mouth," he said.
I did so, and he, spilling some from the broad rim of the crater, I feeling it on my chin, and throat, as it trickled under the collar, and body, poured the remainder of the wine down my throat. It was bitter from the dregs in the bottom of the cup, and, to my taste, scalding. I, my eyes closed, my head held painfully back, throat burning, swallowed it. When I had finished the wine he thrust the wine crater into my hands. "Run El-in-or," he said, "put it back, and return to me." I ran to the side of the tent and put back the wine crater, and fled back to his side.
Captive of Gor pages 332-333

Bowls
The Turian feast usually consumes the better part of a night and can have as many as a hundred and fifty courses. This would be impractical, naturally, save for the detestable device of the golden bowl and tufted banquet stick, dipped in scented oils, by means of which the diner may, when he wishes, refresh himself and return with eagerness to the feast. I had not made use of this particular tool, and had contented myself with merely taking a bite or two, to satisfy the requirements of etiquette, from each course.
Nomads of Gor page 87

Kamchak turned to them. "Eat," he said.
Before them had been placed large golden dishes heaped with delicacies prepared by the kitchens of the Ubar, tall precious goblets filled with Turian wines, the small bowls of spices and sugars with their stirring spoons at hand.
The tables were served by naked Turian girls, from the highest families of the city.
Nomads of Gor page 253

There was another bowl and a cup or two, and two or three gourds. Some utensils were in the bowl, a wooden stirring stick and a wooden ladle, both carved from rence root.
Raiders of Gor page 33

We knelt in a circle, eating from the wooden bowls of bread and stew. We were given no utensils. Our fingers served to pick out meat and bread, and the gravy we drank.
Captive of Gor page 167

"Eat," urged Ute.
I had scarcely touched the stew in the wooden bowl.
Captive of Gor page 168

We regarded one another.
"Serve me wine," he said.
I turned and, among the furnishings of the tent, found a bottle of Ka-la-na, of good vintage, from the vineyards of Ar, the loot of a caravan raid. I then took the wine, with a small copper bowl, and a black, red-trimmed wine crater, to the side of the fire. I poured some of the wine into the small copper bowl, and set it on the tripod over the tiny fire in the fire bowl.
Captive of Gor page 331

After a time I took the copper bowl from the fire and held it against my cheek. I returned it again to the tripod, and again we waited.
Captive of Gor page 332

"Get bowls," said the red-haired girl to Ilene. "And open a bag of slave meal. When the slaves pass you, give each half a bowl of meal."
"Yes, Mistress," said Ilene.
Hunters of Gor page 224

Within that rail, about the altar, some in chests, others displayed on shelvings, was much rich plate, and vessels of gold and silver. There were the golden bowls used to gather the blood of the sacrificed animals; cups used to pour libations to Priest-Kings; vessels containing oils, lavers in which the celebrants of the rites might cleanse their hands from their work; there were even the small bowls of coins, brought as offerings by the poor, to solicit the favor of Initiates that they might intercede with Priest-Kings on their behalf, that the food roots would not fail, the suls not rot, the fish come to the plankton, the verr yield her kid with health to both, the vulos lay many eggs.
Marauders of Gor page 35

The girl who had prepared the bond-maid gruel had now been refettered and placed again in the coffle.
The slender blond girl, who had been giving the men water from the skin bag, was now given the work of filling small bowls from the large wooden bowl, and for the bond-maids. She used a bronze ladle, the handle of which was curved like the neck and head of a lovely bird. About the handle was a closed bronze ring, loose. It formed a collar for the bird's neck. The bond-maids did not much care for their gruel, unsweetened, mudlike Sa-Tarna meal, with raw fish. They fed, however. One girl who did not care to feed was struck twice across her back by a knotted rope in the hand of Gorm. Quickly then, and well, she fed. The girls, including the slender blondish girl, emptied their bowls, even to licking them, and rubbing them with their saliva-dampened fingers, that no grain be left, lest Gorm, their keeper in the ship, should not pleased. They looked to one another in fear, and put down their bowls, as they finished, fed bond-wenches.
Marauders of Gor pages 64-65

"Open your mouth, my large-breasted beauty," said the Forkbeard.
Eyes wide, she did so. He thrust the contents of the small bowl into her mouth. Choking, the proud Aelgifu swallowed the thick gruel, that of dampened Sa-Tarna meal and raw fish, the gruel of bond-maids.
Marauders of Gor pages 66-67

"You are worked hard here?" I asked.
"Oh, yes!" she laughed. "From morning to dark I am worked. I must gather brush and kaiila dung and make fires; I must cook the stews and porridges, and clean the pans and the bowls; I must shake out the mats and sweep the sand in the tents; I must rub the garments and polish the boots and leather; I must do the mending and sewing; I weave; I make ropes; I bead leather; I pound grain; I tend the kaiila; twice daily I milk the she-kaiila; I do many things; I am much worked."
Tribesmen of Gor page 139

"Masters," said Peggy, approaching the table, kneeling beside it, bearing a tray. She placed the tray on the table, and removed three plates of bread and meat from it, a dish of assorted cheeses, a bowl of dates, a pitcher of water, a pot of black wine, steaming and tiny vessels of sugars and creams, and three goblets. On the table, too, she placed small spoons, of silver, from Tharna, for use with the black wine, and, at each place, a kailiauk-horn handled eating prong, from distant Turia. Finger towels, then, and a silver fingerbowl, too, she placed upon the table. The bowl was also of Tharnan silver. When she placed these things on the table, she looked about, still kneeling, and saw me close the door to the room, locking her within, with us.
Rogue of Gor page 233

Durbar left. In a few moments he returned with a small wooden bowl, filled with dried, precooked meal. He poured some water into this.
I was then handed the bowl.
Some of the women laughed.
"Mix it with your fingers," said the first man. Then he turned to Durbar. "Look about the camp," he said. "See if there are any more skulking about."
"I am alone," I told them.
But Durbar went to check.
I, mixing the water with the precooked meal, formed a sort of cold porridge or gruel. I then, with my fingers, and putting the bowl even to my lips, fell eagerly upon that thick, bland, moist substance.
By the time Durbar had returned I had finished, even to the desperate wiping and licking of the bowl, that I might secure every last particle of that simple, precious, vitalizing provender.
"You eat slave gruel well," said the first men. There was laugher from the chained women.
Kajira of Gor page 257

In a few moments she returned through the door bearing a tray. She knelt near the table, put the tray on the floor, unbidden performed obeisance and then, as though submissively, put the tray on the table, and put the paga, in a small kantharos, and the bread on its trencher, before me. Then she put the bowl of porridge, with a spoon, before me. She then withdrew, taking the tray, put it to the side, on the floor, again performed obeisance, unbidden, and then knelt back, as though in attendance. There had been something false in her subservience.
Renegades of Gor page 71

Dishes
Saphrar reclined on the yellow cushions, behind the low table covered with wines, fruits and golden dishes heaped with delicate viands.
Nomads of Gor page 85

Kamchak turned to them. "Eat," he said.
Before them had been placed large golden dishes heaped with delicacies prepared by the kitchens of the Ubar, tall precious goblets filled with Turian wines, the small bowls of spices and sugars with their stirring spoons at hand.
The tables were served by naked Turian girls, from the highest families of the city.
Nomads of Gor page 253

I cried out with rage and seized the great table, flinging it, scattering dishes and paga, from the dais.
Raiders of Gor 237

Plates
I looked to one side and saw Kamchak scraping another plate clean, holding it to his mouth, sliding and shoving the carefully structured design of viands into his mouth.
Nomads of Gor page 86

Most of the gold and jewels, and precious plate and cups and goblets, were missing, except where here and there a coin or stone might lie missed at the edge of the wagon hides or at the foot of one of the curved wagon poles.
Nomads of Gor page 267

I sprang to my feet and looked about the room. There were several chests in the room, including the iron-banded one with its heavy lock. There were also some cabinets against one wall, filled with plate and cups, some bottles of paga and Ka-la-na.
Assassin of Gor page 53

They were perhaps the doors to the compartments of slaves, housing little more doubtless than a straw mat, a washing bowl, and a small box in which might be kept some slave livery and perhaps simple utensils, a plate and a cup.
Assassin of Gor pages 394-395

Rask of Treve threw the girl one of the oysters, from a silver plate on the low, wooden table.
"Eat it," he said.
Captive of Gor page 302

Before me, over the long, heavy table which I sat, I could see the large tiles of the hall floor. The table was now dark, and bare. No longer was it set with festive yellow and scarlet cloths, woven in distant Tor; no longer did it bear the freight of plates of silver from the mines of Tharna, nor of cunningly wrought goblets of gold from the smithies of luxurious Turia, Ar of the south. It was long since I had tasted the fiery paga of the Sa-Tarna fields north of the Vosk. Now, even the wines from the vineyards of Ar seemed bitter to me.
Marauders of Gor page 1

Within that rail, about the altar, some in chests, others displayed on shelvings, was much rich plate, and vessels of gold and silver. There were the golden bowls used to gather the blood of the sacrificed animals; cups used to pour libations to Priest-Kings; vessels containing oils, lavers in which the celebrants of the rites might cleanse their hands from their work; there were even the small bowls of coins, brought as offerings by the poor, to solicit the favor of Initiates that they might intercede with Priest-Kings on their behalf, that the food roots would not fail, the suls not rot, the fish come to the plankton, the verr yield her kid with health to both, the vulos lay many eggs.
Marauders of Gor page 35

No comments:

Post a Comment