Friday, October 25, 2013

Glasses, Goblets, Horns & Tankards

Glass, Curved
"You, yourself," she said, "have made me make your tea."
"Is it ready?" I asked. I looked at the tiny copper kettle on the small stand. A tiny kaiila-dung fire burned under it. A small, heavy, curved glass was nearby, on a flat box, which would hold some two ounces of tea. Bazi tea is drunk in tiny glasses, usually three at a time, carefully measured. She did not make herself tea, of course.
Tribesmen of Gor pages 139-140

Glass, Drinking
The beast returned from the cabinet with two glasses and a bottle.
"Is that not the paga of Ar?" I asked.
"Is it not one of your favorites?" he asked. "See," he said. "It has the seal of the brewer, Temus."
"That is remarkable," I said. "You are very thoughtful."
"I have been saving it," he told me.
"For me?" I asked.
"Of course," he said. "I was confident you would get through."
"I am honored," I said.
"I have waited so long to talk to you," he said.
He poured two glasses of paga, and reclosed the bottle. We lifted the glasses, and touched them, the one to the other.
Beasts of Gor pages 371-372

She withdrew, head down. She picked up the small tray from the stand near the table. On it was the small vessel containing a thick, sweet liqueur from distant Turia, the Ar of the south, and the two tiny glasses from which we had sipped it.
Explorers of Gor page 10

Goblets
Kamchak turned to them. "Eat," he said.
Before them had been placed large golden dishes heaped with delicacies prepared by the kitchens of the Ubar, tall precious goblets filled with Turian wines, the small bowls of spices and sugars with their stirring spoons at hand.
The tables were served by naked Turian girls, from the highest families of the city.
Nomads of Gor page 253

Most of the gold and jewels, and precious plate and cups and goblets, were missing, except where here and there a coin or stone might lie missed at the edge of the wagon hides or at the foot of one of the curved wagon poles.
Nomads of Gor page 267

The High Initiate had risen to his feet and accepted a goblet from another Initiate, probably containing minced, flavored ices, for the afternoon was warm.
Assassin of Gor page 141

"It seems I am not going to be served," said Relius, as though rather bored with the whole matter.
Virginia Kent straightened herself, bent down and picked up her pitcher of Ka-la-na, smiled shyly, and approached her guard.
He put forth his goblet, but suddenly, unexpectedly, she drew back the pitcher.
Assassin of Gor page 239

Guards stumbled about with goblets in their hands.
Assassin of Gor page 311

"Claudia Tentia Hinrabia," said Cernus to those assembled, while he quaffed yet another goblet of Ka-la-na, "is well known throughout Ar as a most strict and demanding mistress. It is said that once, when a slave dropped a mirror, she had the poor girl's ears and nose cut off, and then sold the then worthless wench."
Assassin of Gor page 315

I served the food, and poured the wines, and kept their goblets filled, remaining as much in the background as possible.
Captive of Gor page 301

Sometimes Verna would say, "Drink," and I would pour wine into her goblet, saying, "Yes, Mistress," and sometimes Rask of Treve would command me, saying, "Drink," and I would then, similarly, serve him, saying, "Yes, Master."
Captive of Gor page 301

"I, too, am the enemy of Marlenus of Ar," said Rask. He held out his goblet and I, the meat on which I was feeding clenched between my teeth, filled it.
Captive of Gor page 303

I had finished my meat.
They again held out their goblets, and I again filled them.
Captive of Gor page 305

This afternoon, for the first time in weeks, the raids of Rask of Treve had been successful. Eleven girls had been brought in, and much treasure. Laughing, bloody tarnsmen, with strings of pearls thrown about their necks, and cups and goblets tied at their saddles, and their saddle packs bulging with the weight of golden tarn disks, had brought their tarns down, wings beating, to receive the greetings of the camp.
Captive of Gor page 321

Before me, over the long, heavy table which I sat, I could see the large tiles of the hall floor. The table was now dark, and bare. No longer was it set with festive yellow and scarlet cloths, woven in distant Tor; no longer did it bear the freight of plates of silver from the mines of Tharna, nor of cunningly wrought goblets of gold from the smithies of luxurious Turia, Ar of the south. It was long since I had tasted the fiery paga of the Sa-Tarna fields north of the Vosk. Now, even the wines from the vineyards of Ar seemed bitter to me.
Marauders of Gor page 1

"Bring me a goblet," I said.
A goblet was fetched. It was of heavy gold. I took it in my left hand. Slowly I crushed it.
Marauders of Gor page 22

I threw from me the goblet of gold. I tore the meat and finished it.
Marauders of Gor page 22

I stood before the captain's chair. "More paga," I said. Another vessel was brought. "I drink," said I, "to the blood of beasts."
I drained the goblet and flung it from me.
Marauders of Gor page 23

Other girls, with bits of food, gave us to feed, with their tiny fingers placing tidbits, delicacies, into our mouths. One girl held back our head, and others, from goblets, gave us of wines, Turian wines, sweet and thick, Ta wine, from the famed Ta grapes, from the terraces of Cos, wines even, Ka-la-nas, sweet and drys, from distant Ar. Our heads swirled. We heard music. Musicians had entered the room. "Feast," said the man on the dais.
Tribesmen of Gor page 213

"Masters," said Peggy, approaching the table, kneeling beside it, bearing a tray. She placed the tray on the table, and removed three plates of bread and meat from it, a dish of assorted cheeses, a bowl of dates, a pitcher of water, a pot of black wine, steaming and tiny vessels of sugars and creams, and three goblets.
Rogue of Gor page 233

Goblet, Paga
At the tavern of the Greens, he had put down his goblet of paga, and had laughed, spreading out his hands, "Then," had said he, "you must have no pattern."
I laughed at his jest.
Assassin of Gor page 369

"Your paga," said the nude slave girl, who served me, her wrists chained. "It is warmed as you wished."
I took it from her, not even glancing upon her, and drained the goblet.
She knelt beside the low table, at which I sat cross-legged.
"More," I said, handing her back the goblet, again not deigning to even glance upon her.
"Yes, Master," she said, rising, taking the goblet.
I liked my paga warm. One felt it so much the sooner.
Raiders of Gor page 100

Before we set out we broke open the great bottle of paga, and Thurnock, Clitus and I clashed goblets and emptied them of their swirling fires. Then we forced each of the girls, choking and sputtering, to themselves upturn a goblet, swilling down as best they could the fiery draught. I recall Midice standing there in her silk, the leather on her wrist, shaking, coughing, paga on her mouth, looking at me with fear.
Raiders of Gor 113

Some two or three still sat groggily at the tables, staring at goblets half-filled with paga.
Raiders of Gor 120

I rose to my feet and lifted my goblet of paga, acknowledging the cries of my retainers.
Raiders of Gor 218

I thrust out the silver paga goblet, studded with rubies, and Telima, standing beside my thronelike chair, filled it. I did not look upon her.
Raiders of Gor 223

I sat back on the great chair, paga goblet held in hand, surveying the room.
Raiders of Gor 223

"More paga," said I, putting out the goblet.
Telima poured me more paga.
Raiders of Gor 224

I did not care to hear his song. I looked down into the paga goblet. The singer continued.
Raiders of Gor 225

I extended the paga goblet to Telima and again, she filled it.
Raiders of Gor 226

I held out my paga goblet, but it was not filled. I looked about, angrily.
Raiders of Gor 231

I stood drunkenly, holding to the table. I spilled paga. "Paga!" I cried, and Telima again
filled the goblet. I drank again. And then, again, wildly, shouting, crying out, I threw gold to all the corners of the room, laughing as the men fought and leaped to seize it.
Raiders of Gor 236

I observed Inge filling the paga goblet of one of the huntsmen. She knelt closer to him than she needed to. Her lips were parted. Her eyes shone. Her hands, slightly, shook on the paga bottle.
Captive of Gor page 300

"Paga, Masters?" asked the dark-haired girl, kneeling beside the table.
Samos, not looking at her, held forth his goblet. The girl filled the goblet.
I held for my goblet, and she, too filled mine.
"Withdraw," said Samos.
She withdrew.
I shrugged.
Hunters of Gor page 9

Rim and Thurnock laughed. "A thief," said Thurnock, swallowing a mouthful of bosk and reaching for the paga goblet.
Hunters of Gor page 47

The proprietor had now returned behind his counter, and was polishing paga goblets.
Hunters of Gor page 55

I took the goblet, filled with burning paga. I had not had paga since returning from the northern forests.
"Ta-Sardar-Gor," said I, pouring a libation to the table. Then I stood.
Marauders of Gor page 22

Horn, Drinking
I held the large drinking horn of the north. "There is no way for this to stand upright," I said to him, puzzled.
He threw back his head again, and roared once more with laughter.
"If you cannot drain it," he said, "give it to another!"
I threw back my head and drained the horn.
"Splendid!" cried the Forkbeard.
I handed the horn to Thyri, who, in her collar, naked, between two of the benches, knelt at my feet.
"Yes, Jarl," said she, and ran to fill it, from the great vat.
Marauders of Gor page 89

"Here, Jarl," said Thyri, again handing me the horn. It was filled with the mead of Torvaldsland, brewed from fermented honey, thick and sweet.
Marauders of Gor page 90

He grinned. "Gunnhild," said he, "run for a horn of mead."
Yes, my Jarl," said she, and sped from his side.
In a moment, through the dark, smoky hall, returned Gunnhild, bearing a great horn of mead.
"My Jarls," said she.
The Forkbeard took from her the horn of mead and, together, we drained it.
We then clasped hands.
Marauders of Gor page 95

"You are welcome to accompany me," said he. Then he rose to his feet behind the table. "Drink!" called he to his men. "Drink mead to Hilda the Haughty, daughter of Thorgard of Scagnar!"
His men roared with laughter. Bond-maids, collared and naked, fled about, filling horns with mead.
"Feast!" called Ivar Forkbeard. "Feast!"
Much meat was eaten; many horns were drained.
Marauders of Gor pages 95-96

I finished a horn of mead, rose to my feet, and went to my sleeping area.
Marauders of Gor page 99

"Mead!" called Ivar Forkbeard, from across from me. "Mead!" He held out the great, curved horn, with its rim of filigreed gold.
Pudding and Gunnhild knelt on the bench, snuggling against him, one on either side. But they did not run to fetch his mead. That duty, this night, befell another.
Hilda the Haughty, daughter of Thorgard of Scagnar, as stripped as any bond-maid, from a large bronze vessel, poured mead for the Forkbeard.
The men laughed.
She, though free, poured mead as a bond-maid. The hall roared with pleasure. Mighty insult had thus been wrought upon Thorgard of Scagnar, enemy of Ivar Forkbeard. His daughter, stripped, poured mead in the hall of his enemies.
Marauders of Gor page 129

"Mead!" called Ivar Forkbeard, returning to the table. Pudding was first to reach him, with a horn of mead.
Marauders of Gor page 133

The Forkbeard, laughing, drained the horn. "Mead!" he cried. Gunnhild served him.
After this second horn of mead the Forkbeard, wiping his mouth with his arm, turned about and went to his furs.
Marauders of Gor page 134

My right arm was about her, holding her to me, in my right hand, held in its grip of gold wire, was a great horn of steaming mead.
Marauders of Gor page 277

Mead was replenished in the drinking horn, by a dark-haired bond-maid, who filled it, head down, shyly, not looking at me.
Marauders of Gor page 277

Tankard
The Forkbeard himself now, from a wooden keg, poured a great tankard of ale, which must have been of the measure of five gallons. Over this he then closed his fist. It was the sign of the hammer, the sign of Thor. The tankard then, with two great bronze handles, was passed from hands to hands among the rowers. The men threw back their heads and, the liquid spilling down their bodies, drank ale. It was victory ale.
Marauders of Gor page 82

Then the Forkbeard himself drained the remains of the tankard, threw it to the foot of the mast, and then, to my astonishment, leapt from the ship, onto the moving oars.
Marauders of Gor page 82

Bera went to the next man, to hill his cup with mead, from the heavy, hot tankard, gripped with cloth, which she carried.
Marauders of Gor page 278

Eta piled several of the hot, tiny eggs, earlier kept fresh in cool sand within the cave, on a plate, with heated yellow bread, for him. I grasping the pot with a rag and both hands, poured him a handled, metal tankard of the steaming black brew, coffee or black wine.
Slave Girl of Gor page 74

No comments:

Post a Comment