Sunday, October 27, 2013

Mul Food

Mul Fungus
It is not hard to get used to Mul-Fungus, for it has almost not taste, being an extremely bland, pale, whitish, fibrous vegetablelike matter. I know of no one who is moved much in one direction or the other by its taste. Even the Muls, many of whom have been bred in the Nest, do not particularly like it, nor despise it. It is eaten with much the same lack of attention that we normally breathe air.
Priest Kings of Gor page 109

Muls feed four times a day. In the first meal, Mul-Fungus is ground and mixed with water, forming a porridge of sorts; for the second meal it is chopped into rough two-inch cubes; for the third meal it is minced with Mul-Pellets and served as a sort of cold hash; the Mul-Pellets are undoubtedly some type of dietary supplement; at the final meal Mul-Fungus is pressed into a large, flat cake and sprinkled with a few grains of salt.
Misk told me, and I believe him, that Muls had occasionally slain one another for a handful of salt.
Priest Kings of Gor page 109

The Mul-Fungus, as far as I can tell, is not much different from the fungus, raised under ideal conditions from specially selected spores, which graces the feed troughs of the Priest-Kings themselves, a tiny sample of which was once given me by Misk. It was perhaps a bit less coarse than Mul-Fungus. Misk was much annoyed when I found out later that the major difference between high-quality fungus and the lower-grade Mul-Fungus was simply the smell. I was in the Nest, incidentally, for more than five weeks before I could even vaguely detect the odor difference which seemed so significant to Misk. And then it did not strike me as being better or worse than that of the low-grade Mul-Fungus.
Priest Kings of Gor page 109

Inside the cube there were canisters of Mul-Fungus, a bowl, a ladle, a wooden-bladed Fungus-Knife; a wooden-headed Fungus-Mallet; a convenient tube of Mul-Pellets, which discharged its contents one at a time following my depressing a lever in the bottom of the tube; and a large, inverted jar of water, by means of which an attached, somewhat shallow, watering pan was kept filled.
Priest Kings of Gor page 111

"I think my property will be safe here," I said.
"You're joking," she said, sniffing.
She watched me lifting the lids of the fungus containers. The materials in the containers seemed fresh and of good sort.
"What is in the containers?" she asked.
"Fungus," I said.
"What for?" she asked.
"You eat it," I said.
"Never," she said. "I'll starve first."
"You will eat it," I said, " when you are hungry enough."
Vika looked at me with horror for a moment and then, to my astonishment, she laughed. She stood back against the rear of the case scarcely able to stand. "Oh Cabot," she cried with relief, reproachfully, "how frightened I was!" She stepped to my side and lifted her eyes to mine and gently placed her hand on my arm. "I understand now," she said, almost weeping with relief, "but you frightened me so."
"What do you mean?" I asked.
She laughed. "Fungus indeed!" she sniffed.
"It's not bad when you get used to it," I said, "but on the other hand it is not really particularly good either."
She shook her head. "Please Cabot," she said, "your joke has gone far enough." She smiled. "Have pity, " she said, "if not on Vika of Treve -on a poor girl who is only your slave."
"I'm not joking," I told her.
She did not believe me.
I checked the tube of Mul-Pellets and the inverted jar of water. "We do not have the luxuries in the Nest that you had in your chamber, " I said, "but I think you will manage quite well."
"Cabot," she laughed, "please!"
I turned to the Attendant. "She is to have double salt ration each evening," I told him.
"Very well," he said.
Priest Kings of Gor pages 200-201

Mul Fungus Porridge
Muls feed four times a day. In the first meal, Mul-Fungus is ground and mixed with water, forming a porridge of sorts; for the second meal it is chopped into rough two-inch cubes; for the third meal it is minced with Mul-Pellets and served as a sort of cold hash; the Mul-Pellets are undoubtedly some type of dietary supplement; at the final meal Mul-Fungus is pressed into a large, flat cake and sprinkled with a few grains of salt.
Misk told me, and I believe him, that Muls had occasionally slain one another for a handful of salt.
Priest Kings of Gor page 109

I stayed a long time in the washing-booth and when I came out and donned my plastic tunic it took quite some time to make the Mul-Fungus Porridge of just the consistency at which I preferred it, and then, since I had finally managed to make it the way in which it was least unpalatable, I took some time to, as one might say, almost enjoy it.
Priest Kings of Gor pages 133-134

Mul-Pellets
Inside the cube there were canisters of Mul-Fungus, a bowl, a ladle, a wooden-bladed Fungus-Knife; a wooden-headed Fungus-Mallet; a convenient tube of Mul-Pellets, which discharged its contents one at a time following my depressing a lever in the bottom of the tube; and a large, inverted jar of water, by means of which an attached, somewhat shallow, watering pan was kept filled.
Priest Kings of Gor page 111

No comments:

Post a Comment