Sunday, October 27, 2013

Sweets

Cakes
The only relief in their existence comes once a year, on the birthday of the Tatrix, when they are served a small cake, made with honey and sesame seeds, and a small pot of poor Kal-da.
Outlaw of Gor page 150

"How do you live?" I asked.
"I shop for wealthy women," said she, "for pastries and tarts and cakes -things they will not trust their female slaves to buy."
I laughed.
Nomads of Gor page 238

Even the slaves in the iron pens in the House of Cernus received that day a small cake with oil and had their troughs filled with water mixed with Paga.
Assassin of Gor page 212

"Cakes, Masters?" I asked, kneeling near them, proffering them the tray.
"Yes," said Drusus Rencius.
"Yes," said Publius.
Kajira of Gor page 405

I replaced the tray of tiny cakes on the nearby serving table.
Kajira of Gor 405

Cakes, Honey
From a vendor, the Forkbeard bought his girls honey cake; with their fingers they ate it eagerly, crumbs at the side of their mouths.
Marauders of Gor page 144

Candy
During the time of the race the hawkers of candies, sweetmeats, Kal-da, pastries and paga were quiet, standing with their goods in the aisles watching.
Assassin of Gor page 139

The crowd was now engaged in various pursuits, no fixed center now holding their attention. Several were going about seeking the odds Merchants, several of whom wandered in the stands, but others of whom kept their tables at the foot of the stands, on the sand itself, almost under the nets beneath the rings. The hawkers of candies and such were now crying their wares.
Assassin of Gor page 141

"Candies!" whined a small voice some yards below me. "Candies!"
Assassin of Gor page 144

His knobby hands were clutching a candy tray which was fastened behind his neck with a strap. "Candies!" he whined. "Candies!"
Assassin of Gor page 145

I did note that a young slave girl, however, perhaps about fifteen, with a coin given her by her master, did purchase a small candy from the little Hup.
Assassin of Gor page 145

"Candies!" called the little fellow. "Candies!"
I supposed Hup, though he doubtless spent much of his time begging, made what money he could, and vending candies at the races might help him to live. I wondered if the golden tarn disk, that of Portus, which I had given to him at the tavern had been used to buy a vending license.
"I think I shall have a candy," said the man behind me.
Assassin of Gor page 145

I reached out and began to walk after him but I stumbled into the body of Hup the Fool, spilling his tray of candies.
Assassin of Gor page 157

Hup hobbled angrily after me, jerking on my tunic. "Pay! Pay!" he whined.
I looked down at him and I saw, in those wide, simple eyes, of uneven size, no recognition. His poor mind could not even recall the face of a man who had saved his life. Irritably I gave him a silver forty-piece, far more than enough to pay for the spilled candies, and strode away.
Assassin of Gor page 157

Interestingly, it was a dream in which I had managed to steal a candy and blame Lana, and she was beaten for it.
Captive of Gor page 71

In the private pens we were given better food, lean meats and vegetables and fruits, and, if our group had trained acceptably, after the evening meal, before being returned, hooded, to the public pens, we would be given candies or pastries, or sometimes, a swallow of Ka-la-na wine.
Captive of Gor page 163

"Master!" I called.
He stopped.
I thrust my hand through the bars, toward him.
He took a hard candy from his pouch, and held it, outside of my reach.
I struggled to reach the candy. I could not. Then he handed it to me.
"Thank you, Master," I said. I put the candy in my mouth. I had known his step. Few of the guards carried candies. I was pleased with myself. I did not think Inge would have succeeded in winning a candy from him.
I sat in the straw and sucked the candy.
Captive of Gor page 178

Merchants brought sides of bosk, and thighs of tarsk, and wines and fruits to camp, and cheeses and breads and nuts, and flowers and candies and silks and honeys.
Captive of Gor page 321

"It is a well-known rendezvous point," said Samos. "It was there one of my ships picked him up, and others." He looked at the man. "Do you recall your price?"
"Two steel knives," said the man, "and fifty steel arrow points."
"And a stone of hard candies, from the kitchens of Ar," smiled Samos.
"Yes," said the man, through gritted teeth.
Hunters of Gor page 13

"A steel knife for each," I proposed to Sheera, "and twenty four arrow points of steel, for each."
"Forty arrow points for each, and the knives," said Sheera, cutting at the sand.
I could see she did not much want to conduct these negotiations. Her heart was not in the bargaining. She was angry.
"Very well," I said.
"And a stone of candies," she said, looking up, suddenly.
"Very well," I said.
"For each!" she demanded.
"Very well," I said.
She slapped her knees and laughed. The girls seemed delighted.
Hunters of Gor page 31

There was little sugar in the forest, save naturally in certain berries, and simple hard candies, such as a child might buy in shops in Ar, or Ko-ro-ba, were, among the panther girls in the remote forests, prized.
It was not unknown that among the bands in the forests, a male might be sold for as little as a handful of such candies. When dealing with men, however, the girls usually demanded, and received, goods of greater value to them, usually knives, arrow points, small spear points; sometimes armlets, and bracelets and necklaces, and mirrors; sometimes slave nets and slave traps, to aid in their hunting; sometimes slave chains, and manacles, to secure their catches.
I had the goods brought from the ship, with scales to weigh out the candies.
Hunters of Gor page 31

"Bring candies," said I to a seaman.
He did so.
I tossed one to each of the girls. They took the candies. They were sitting now, on the deck, but not cross-legged. They knew that posture would not be permitted to them. Their chains dangled to the rings.
Hunters of Gor page 37

I threw each of them another candy. Then, not speaking further, I rose to my feet, and left them.
Hunters of Gor page 37

They had been well treated today. They had been fed well, and sufficiently watered. After their meals, candies had been given to them. They had been permitted to wash themselves, with a bucket of fresh water, and to come one another's hair.
Hunters of Gor page 37

A common problem with slave girls was petty thievery, as they attempted to steal pastries or sweets. Many girls have a craving for sweets. These are commonly kept from them. A girl might have to perform superbly for hours before her master before he, in his generosity, would consent to throw her a candy.
Tribesmen of Gor page 77

"Your memory has improved," I congratulated her. From my saddlebags I threw her a candy.
"Are you not angry with me, Master?" she asked. "No," I said. She thrust the candy in her mouth. I moved the kaiila on.
Tribesmen of Gor page 334

"You were a good slave girl. You are to be commended," I said. "Throw her a candy," I said to one of the men.
He did so.
"Eat it," I told Vella.
She did so.
Tribesmen of Gor page 351

Chocolate
"This is warmed chocolate," I said, pleased. It was very rich and creamy.
"Yes, Mistress," said the girl.
"It is very good," I said.
"Thank you, Mistress," she said.
"Is it from Earth?" I asked.
"Not directly," she said. "Many things here, of course, ultimately have an Earth origin. It is not improbable that the beans from which the first cacao trees on this world were grown were brought from Earth."
"Do the trees grow near here?" I asked.
"No, Mistress," she said. "We obtain the beans, from which the chocolate is made, from Cosian merchants, who, in turn, obtain them in the tropics."
I put the chocolate down.
Kajira of Gor page 61

Custards
"It will amuse me," he said, "to think of Tarl Cabot, laboring in the brine pits. As I rest in my palace, in the cool of the rooms, on cushions, relishing custards and berries, sipping beverages, delighted by my slave girls, among them your pretty Vella, I shall think of you often, Tarl Cabot."
Tribesmen of Gor page 124

He sat, cross-legged, behind the low table. On it were hot bread, yellow and fresh, hot black wine, steaming, with its sugars, slices of roast bosk, the scrambled eggs of vulos, pastries with creams and custards.
Beasts of Gor page 20

The girls, carrying their trays, knelt before the table. "Desserts, Masters," announced the girl in bluish gauze. Then rising, they began to serve, one on each side. On one tray were assorted pastries; on the other was a variety of small, spiced custards.
Guardsman of Gor page 239

The two slaves had now left the pastries and custards upon the table, and had returned to the kitchen. They would there presumably be relieved of their chains and would return with the black wine.
Guardsman of Gor page 243

Flavored Ices
The High Initiate had risen to his feet and accepted a goblet from another Initiate, probably containing minced, flavored ices, for the afternoon was warm.
Assassin of Gor page 141

Free women, here and there, were delicately putting tidbits beneath their veils. Some even lifted their veils somewhat to drink of the flavored ices. Some low-caste free women drank through their veils, and there were yellow and purple stains on the rep-cloth.
Assassin of Gor page 141

Honey
The proprietor arrived with hot bread, honey, salt and to my delight, a huge, hot roasted chunk of tarsk. I crammed my mouth with food and washed it down with another thundering draught of Kal-da.
Outlaw of Gor page 79

The only relief in their existence comes once a year, on the birthday of the Tatrix, when they are served a small cake, made with honey and sesame seeds, and a small pot of poor Kal-da.
Outlaw of Gor page 150

The food at the table of Cernus was good, but it was plain, rather severe, like the master of the House. I had tarsk meat and yellow bread with honey, Gorean peas and a tankard of diluted Ka-la-na, warm water mixed with wine.
Assassin of Gor page 87

"And put bread over the fire," I said, "and honey, and the eggs of vulos, and fried tarsk meat and a Torian larma fruit."
The girl nodded and, rising gracefully, backing away a step or two, head down, turned and went to the kitchen.
Assassin of Gor page 106

"Why is it," I asked Ho-Tu, whom I felt I had come to know somewhat better in the day, "that when others have Ka-la-na and meat and bread and honey you eat only this porridge?"
Ho-Tu pushed back the bowl.
"It is not important," he said.
"Very well," I said.
Assassin of Gor page 120

Ho-Sorl, after several races, gave Phyllis a coin, ordering her to find a vendor and buy him some Sa-Tarna bread smeared with honey.
Assassin of Gor page 217

Pretending not to be particularly observant, but watching very closely, Ho-Sorl and I observed Phyllis picking her way past two vendors with bread and honey.
Assassin of Gor page 217

Rather he looked about on the ramp until he found the small coin he had given her to buy him bread and honey, which coin she had dropped when the four men had seized her. To her astonishment he gave her the coin. "Buy me bread and honey," he told her.
Assassin of Gor page 219

Some minutes later Phyllis came back to our seats, bringing Ho-Sorl his bread and honey, and the two copper tarn disks change.
Assassin of Gor page 219

Merchants brought sides of bosk, and thighs of tarsk, and wines and fruits to camp, and cheeses and breads and nuts, and flowers and candies and silks and honeys.
Captive of Gor page 321

I saw small fruit trees, and hives, where honey bees were raised; and there were small sheds, here and there, with sloping roofs of boards; in some such sheds might craftsmen work; in others fish might be dried or butter made.
Marauders of Gor page 81

In the cafes, I had feasted well. I had had verr meat, cut in chunks and threaded on a metal rod, with slices of peppers and larma, and roasted; vulo stew with raisins, nuts, onions and honey; a kort with melted cheese and nutmeg; hot Bazi tea, sugared, and, later, Turian wine.
Tribesmen of Gor pages 47-48

They put honey about her, to attract the tiny black sand flies, which infest such water holes in the spring.
Tribesmen of Gor page 81

In the north generally, mead, a drink made with fermented honey and water, and often spices and such, tends to be favored over paga.
Vagabonds of Gor page 16

Licorice
He yelled something raucous and ribald. It had to do with "tastas," or "stick candies." These are not candies, incidentally, like sticks, as, for example, licorice or peppermint sticks, but soft, rounded, succulent candies, usually covered with a coating of syrup or fudge, rather in the nature of the caramel apple, but much smaller, and, like a caramel apple, mounted on sticks.
Dancer of Gor page 81

Mint Sticks
On the tray, too, was the metal vessel which had contained the black wine, steaming and bitter, from far Thentis, famed for its tarn flocks, and the small yellow-enameled cups from which we had drunk the black wine, its spoons and sugars, a tiny bowl of mint sticks, and the softened, dampened cloths on which we had wiped our fingers.
Explorers of Gor page 10

Pastry
"How do you live?" I asked.
"I shop for wealthy women," said she, "for pastries and tarts and cakes -things they will not trust their female slaves to buy."
I laughed.
Nomads of Gor page 238

During the time of the race the hawkers of candies, sweetmeats, Kal-da, pastries and paga were quiet, standing with their goods in the aisles watching.
Assassin of Gor page 139

I heard a slave girl wheedling her master for a pastry.
Assassin of Gor page 141

Cernus had watched the ending of the dance, his game having been finished. He glanced to Ho-Tu, who nodded affirmatively to him.
"Give her a pastry," said Cernus.
One of the men at the tables threw a pastry to Phyllis, which she caught. She stood there for an instant, the pastry clutched in her hands, her eyes suddenly brimming with tears, then she turned and fled the room.
Assassin of Gor page 188

Hup's attention was now drawn to the side of the table where there was a sugared pastry, which he began to eye hungrily.
Assassin of Gor page 326

One of Cernus' guards threw Hup the pastry he had been eyeing and Hup squealed with pleasure and sat on the dais, putting his chin on his knees, shoving the pastry in his mouth.
Assassin of Gor page 326

After Hup's second move Scormus of Ar had looked for a long time at the board, and then at Hup, who was devouring his pastry.
Assassin of Gor page 327

Hup was still eating his pastry.
"Move!" cried Cernus.
Hup leaped dutifully up and, crumbs on his mouth, seized a yellow piece and shoved it sideways.
Assassin of Gor page 327

In the private pens we were given better food, lean meats and vegetables and fruits, and, if our group had trained acceptably, after the evening meal, before being returned, hooded, to the public pens, we would be given candies or pastries, or sometimes, a swallow of Ka-la-na wine.
Captive of Gor page 163

In the evening, at the private pens, we were fed well and our group, myself, Ute, Inge and Lana, were among those groups given pastries following their meal.
Captive of Gor page 169

That evening, at our meal, I managed to steal a pastry from Ute. She did not even know who it was that removed it from her pan.
Captive of Gor page 196

"Tonight," said Lana, "if you are given a pastry, you must give it to me."
"Why is that?" I asked.
"Because we are friends," said Lana.
"I do not want to do that," I said.
"If you wish to be my friend," said Lana, "you will have to please me."
I said nothing.
"Very well," said Lana, looking away.
"Please, Lana," I whispered.
She did not look at me.
"I will give you the pastry," I said.
Captive of Gor page 201

I was not much pleased with the evening feeding. Lana had taken the pastry, which I had agreed to give her.
Captive of Gor page 201

And when I had attempted to steal that of the Lady Rena of Lydius, unseen by Rena, Ute's hand had closed on my wrist. Her eyes were very hard. I released the pastry. And Ute and I returned to our food pans. I had had no pastry this night! I was angry.
Captive of Gor page 202

Elsewhere I heard a vendor of pastries crying his wares.
Hunters of Gor page 42

The baker had tied the sack about her neck, with a baker's knot, fastened behind the back of her neck. The girl is not supposed to be able to see to undo the knot. Even if she works it about to before her throat, she cannot see it. If she should untie it, it is unlikely she will be able to retie it properly. Naturally the sack may not be opened unless the knot has been undone. The baker's knot is supposed to minimize the amount of pilfering of pastries, and such, which might otherwise be done by slave girls.
Hunters of Gor page 65

And it was Gunnhild who was thrown the pastry, to the delight of the crowds, shouting, pounding their spear blades on their wooden shields.
Marauders of Gor page 154

Then, we again continued on our way, leaving the place of the platform, the place of Gunnhild's triumph, where she had received a pastry, and where her master, the Forkbeard, had made a silver tarn disk on her beauty. She gave the other girls crumbs of the pastry and permitted Dagmar, who was to be sold off, to lick frosting from her fingers.
Marauders of Gor page 157

A common problem with slave girls was petty thievery, as they attempted to steal pastries or sweets. Many girls have a craving for sweets. These are commonly kept from them. A girl might have to perform superbly for hours before her master before he, in his generosity, would consent to throw her a candy.
Tribesmen of Gor page 77

He sat, cross-legged, behind the low table. On it were hot bread, yellow and fresh, hot black wine, steaming, with its sugars, slices of roast bosk, the scrambled eggs of vulos, pastries with creams and custards.
Beasts of Gor page 20

The tables were covered with cloths of glistening white and a service of gold. Before each guests there were tiny slices of tospit and larma, small pastries, and, in a tiny golden cup, with a small golden spoon, the clustered, black, tiny eggs of the white grunt.
Fighting Slave of Gor pages 275-276

The girls, carrying their trays, knelt before the table. "Desserts, Masters," announced the girl in bluish gauze. Then rising, they began to serve, one on each side. On one tray were assorted pastries; on the other was a variety of small, spiced custards.
Guardsman of Gor page 239

"Pastries, Master?" asked the girl in bluish gauze.
I looked at her. Her small hands held the tray. On her tiny, lovely wrists, inflexible and close fitting, were wrist rings, each securely locked. Chain, under the tray, dangled between the rings. Behind her, as she knelt on the tiles, there lay the chain which confined her ankles.
"You may now serve another," I said. I had taken a small pastry from the tray.
"Yes, Master," she said. "Thank you, Master."
She then rose, to serve Miles of Vonda.
Guardsman of Gor page 239

The two slaves had now left the pastries and custards upon the table, and had returned to the kitchen. They would there presumably be relieved of their chains and would return with the black wine.
Guardsman of Gor page 243

We then, from the tray, feeding ourselves, taking dates, and slices of larma and pastries, breakfasted and chatted.
Guardsman of Gor page 295

"I lived in Ar for a year," she said. "Not far from my apartments there was a pastry shop. Marvelous smells used to come from the shop. In the evening, when the shop was closing, slave girls, in their brief tunics and collars, would come and kneel down, near the hinged opening to the open-air counter. The baker, who was a kind-hearted man, would sometimes come out and, from a flat sheet, throw them unsold pastries."
Blood Brothers of Gor page 333

"How amusing I found that a times," she said. "But, too, I sometimes wondered if the pastries I bought at that shop tasted so good to me as those the girls had begged did to them. They seemed so delighted to receive one. It was so precious to them."
Blood Brothers of Gor pages 333-334

Peppermint Sticks
He yelled something raucous and ribald. It had to do with "tastas," or "stick candies." These are not candies, incidentally, like sticks, as, for example, licorice or peppermint sticks, but soft, rounded, succulent candies, usually covered with a coating of syrup or fudge, rather in the nature of the caramel apple, but much smaller, and, like a caramel apple, mounted on sticks.
Dancer of Gor page 81

Sweetmeat
During the time of the race the hawkers of candies, sweetmeats, Kal-da, pastries and paga were quiet, standing with their goods in the aisles watching.
Assassin of Gor page 139

Below me I saw a hawker of sweetmeats angrily discarding four silver-glazed, numbered clay tiles.
Assassin of Gor page 140

Tarts
"How do you live?" I asked.
"I shop for wealthy women," said she, "for pastries and tarts and cakes -things they will not trust their female slaves to buy."
I laughed.
Nomads of Gor page 238

Tastas
He yelled something raucous and ribald. It had to do with "tastas," or "stick candies." These are not candies, incidentally, like sticks, as, for example, licorice or peppermint sticks, but soft, rounded, succulent candies, usually covered with a coating of syrup or fudge, rather in the nature of the caramel apple, but much smaller, and, like a caramel apple, mounted on sticks. The candy is prepared and then the stick, from the bottom, is thrust up, deeply into it. It is then ready to be eaten. As the candy is held neatly in place there is very little mess in this arrangement. Similarly, as the candy is held in its fixed position, it may, in spite of its nature, be eaten, or bitten, or licked or sucked, as swiftly, or slowly, and as much at one's leisure as one might please. These candies are usually sold at such places as parks, beaches, and promenades, at carnivals, expositions and fairs, and at various type of popular events, such as plays, song dramas, races, games, and kaissa matches. They are popular even with children. I had learned of these things from Ulrick, back in the house.
Dancer of Gor page 81

No comments:

Post a Comment