Sunday, October 27, 2013

Porridge

Porridge [non-specific]
Ho-Tu, I noted, but did not speak to him of it, drank only water and, with a horn spoon, ate only a grain porridge mixed with bosk milk.
Assassin of Gor page 87

Poor Elizabeth, I thought. She would be hungry tonight and in the morning would have to go to the feed troughs in the quarters of the female staff slaves, probably for water and a porridge of grain and vegetables.
Assassin of Gor page 89

"What was that?" I asked Ho-Tu.
"The slave who lost at hook knife," said Ho-Tu, pushing a large spoonful of porridge into his mouth.
"What happened to him?" I asked.
"He was fed to the beast," said Ho-Tu.
Assassin of Gor pages 91-92

"It seems to me," I said, "you lingered long over your breakfast."
"The porridge in the trough this morning," said she, "was simply marvelous."
Assassin of Gor page 104

I shared the breakfast with Elizabeth, who informed me that it was better than the porridge below in the trough in the feeding room for female staff slaves, marvelous though the latter might have been.
Assassin of Gor pages 106-107

She replaced the scrolls in the pigeonholes of a scroll bin and Caprus slid the cover over the bin and locked it, and then with a word to him, she lightly ran past us and disappeared down the hall.
"With speed like that," said Ho-Tu, smiling, "she will not be the last to arrive at the porridge trough."
Assassin of Gor page 120

"Why is it," I asked Ho-Tu, whom I felt I had come to know somewhat better in the day, "that when others have Ka-la-na and meat and bread and honey you eat only this porridge?"
Ho-Tu pushed back the bowl.
"It is not important," he said.
"Very well," I said.
Assassin of Gor page 120

Beside me Ho-Tu was shoveling porridge into his mouth with a horn spoon.
Assassin of Gor page 185

"What is wrong, Master?" inquired Elizabeth innocently.
"If I thought it was you," growled Ho-Tu, "who dared to salt my porridge, you would spend the night sitting on a slave goad."
"I would never think of such a thing," protested Elizabeth, wide-eyed.
Ho-Tu grunted. Then he grinned. "Kajuralia, Little Wench," said he.
Elizabeth smiled. "Kajuralia, Master," said she, and turning quickly about, still smiling, went on with her work.
Assassin of Gor page 238

"You there, little White Silker," said Ho-Tu, "who are so adept with the porridge bowl, hasten to the Waiting Cells. You will need your sleep. You are to ascend the block tomorrow. You must make a good showing for the House of Cernus."
Assassin of Gor page 246

Virginia Kent dropped to her knees before Ho-Tu, in the position of the Pleasure Slave, and lowered her head. "Thank you, Master," she said.
He shook her head with his heavy hand. "You are a brave little wench," he said. "And you are very dangerous with a bowl of porridge."
Assassin of Gor page 247

I had carried about bowls of cut, fried fish, and wooden trays of roasted tarsk meat, and roasted gants, threaded on sticks, and rence cakes and porridges, and gourd flagons, many times replenished, of rence beer.
Raiders of Gor page 44

"You are worked hard here?" I asked.
"Oh, yes!" she laughed. "From morning to dark I am worked. I must gather brush and kaiila dung and make fires; I must cook the stews and porridges, and clean the pans and the bowls; I must shake out the mats and sweep the sand in the tents; I must rub the garments and polish the boots and leather; I must do the mending and sewing; I weave; I make ropes; I bead leather; I pound grain; I tend the kaiila; twice daily I milk the she-kaiila; I do many things; I am much worked."
Tribesmen of Gor page 139

In a few moments she returned through the door bearing a tray. She knelt near the table, put the tray on the floor, unbidden performed obeisance and then, as though submissively, put the tray on the table, and put the paga, in a small kantharos, and the bread on its trencher, before me. Then she put the bowl of porridge, with a spoon, before me. She then withdrew, taking the tray, put it to the side, on the floor, again performed obeisance, unbidden, and then knelt back, as though in attendance. There had been something false in her subservience.
Renegades of Gor page 71

Then the porridge, with the seasonings and condiments was on the table.
Renegades of Gor page 73

I tasted the porridge. It had not yet been seasoned. Trying it, with one spoonful or another, from one vial or pot, or another, I seasoned it to my taste. I would later, now and then, here or there, in one place or another, mix the condiments. By such devices one obtains variety, or its deceptive surrogate, even in a substance seemingly so initially unpromising as inn porridge.
Renegades of Gor page 73

Porridge, Sa-Tarna
She did not deign to speak to him, but looked away. Like the bond-maids, she had been fed only on cold Sa-Tarna porridge and scraps of dried parsit fish.
Marauders of Gor page 56

Porridge, Slave
"When will you begin the training?" I asked.
"When the two new girls chosen for the first set grow weary of the kennels, and of the gruel of the iron pens."
"Do girls in training not eat such gruel?" I asked.
"Girls in training, " said Ho-Tu, "partake of the finest of slave porridges. They are given mats to sleep on, and later in their training, furs. They are seldom chained. Sometimes they are even permitted, under guard, to leave the house, that they may be stimulated and pleased by the sights of Ar."
Assassin of Gor page 119

"Further," said Ho-Tu, "after the first few weeks of training, if sufficient progress is made, they will be permitted foods other than slave porridges."
Elizabeth looked up brightly.
"One might even say," said Ho-Tu, "that they will be well fed."
Assassin of Gor page 119

One of the smiths from below was summoned with a bowl of slave porridge, which he mixed half with water, and stirred well, so that it could be drunk. There are various porridges given to slaves and they differ. The porridges in the iron pens, however, are as ugly and tasteless as a gruel, and deliberately so, as might be imagined. As the girl knelt the guardsman pulled back her head and held her nose while the smith, with thumb and forefinger, forced open her jaws and, spilling it a bit on her chin and body, poured a half cup of gruel into her mouth. The girl tried to hold her breath but when it became necessary for her to breathe she must needs swallow the gruel; twice more the smith did this, and then the girl, defeated, swallowed the gruel as he poured it into her mouth, half choking on it.
Assassin of Gor page 126

By the time I returned to the House of Cernus Elizabeth would have finished her slave porridge and be in the compartment, and I would hear about her day, and she would hear about mine, or most of it.
Assassin of Gor page 148

Slave Meal
There was much of some value, though mostly bulk goods. I found quantities of slave meal, which is mixed with water; and silks, and bowls, and collars, not inscribed, and lengths of dried meat, stretched and salted; and coils of rope and chains.
Hunters of Gor page 210

They fed from bowls of slave meal, mixed with water. Too, I cut each of them a piece of the dried, salted meat taken from the abandoned camp of the men of Tyros and the girls of Hura.
Hunters of Gor page 214

"What if the food is poisoned?" asked the blond girl, in her ankle ring.
"Eat," I told her.
She looked at me.
"Eat, Slave," I told her.
"Yes, Master," she said.
Looking at me, apprehensive, she chewed and swallowed.
"Quickly," I said.
"Yes, Master," she said.
Swiftly, frightened, she finished the bowl of slave meal and the piece of salted, dried meat.
Hunters of Gor page 214

"Get bowls," said the red-haired girl to Ilene. "And open a bag of slave meal. When the slaves pass you, give each half a bowl of meal."
"Yes, Mistress," said Ilene.
Hunters of Gor page 224

No comments:

Post a Comment