Sunday, October 27, 2013

Fruits

Apricot
There was great shouting, and, passing through the market gate, I had turned into the nest of market streets.
I brushed away two sellers of apricots and spices.
Tribesmen of Gor page 45

Berries
Nearby, to my delight, I found some berries to eat. They were good, and this filled me with some confidence.
Captive of Gor page 44

Here and there I found more berries, and, from time to time, more outcroppings of rock in which, almost invariably, I found water, doubtless trapped from recent rains.
Captive of Gor page 45

We were taken from the wagon and, chained outside, kneeling, were fed. In the two days since I had been captured, prior to our encountering the caravan, we had only berries and water, and bits of small game, cooked by the guards and thrown to us in scraps.
Captive of Gor page 65

Sometimes they are permitted to cook. Ute and I, tied together by the throat, but otherwise unimpeded, wearing our camisks, like the other girls, under a guard, went off with two buckets to gather berries. There were not many berries, and it was not easy to fill our buckets. I stole berries from Ute's bucket, and had mine filled first.
Captive of Gor pages 74-75

We were not supposed to eat the berries, and I do not think Ute did, but I would slip them inside my mouth when the guard was not looking. If one was careful to keep the juices inside there was no telltale sign on the lips and chin.
Captive of Gor page 75

I was pleased with the summer's day, and the breezes. Surreptitiously, I moved, picking berries here and there, closer to Ute.
Captive of Gor page 207

My hand darted into her leather bucket and seized a handful of berries, and quickly put them in my own.
Captive of Gor page 207

I slipped one of the berries into my mouth, taking care that no juices showed on my lips or face.
Captive of Gor page 207

Angrily, in the field, in the sunlight, more than a pasang from the wagons, on the route to Ar, I picked berries, snapping them from their twigs and throwing them into the bucket.
Captive of Gor page 217

"Ute," I said.
Ute turned, in the strap, from picking berries.
"Yes, El-in-or?" she said.
Captive of Gor page 219

Ute then returned to her picking of berries. Neither she nor the guard were watching, so I stole some more of her berries for my bucket. Two I placed in my mouth, carefully, that no sign that I had tasted them be evident.
Captive of Gor page 219

I threw another berry into the bucket.
Captive of Gor page 223

Ute then turned away, and continued to pick berries. It was now late in the afternoon. We were perhaps a pasang and a half from the distant wagons. From the hill on which we now picked berries I could see them.
Captive of Gor page 224

Ute had put her bucket behind her and was picking berries about a yard ahead of it.
Captive of Gor page 224

Then I crept close and took two handfuls of berries from her bucket and put them in mine.
I kept some to put in my mouth.
Then, as I put the berries in my mouth, I thought I heard something. Ute, too, and the guard, at the same time, heard it. He cried out and, angrily, began to run back toward the wagon.
Captive of Gor page 224

At last, she had yielded to my entreaties and permitted me, leashed to Techne, to go beyond the stockade and pick berries.
Captive of Gor page 305

When neither the guard nor Techne were looking I stole berries from her buckets, to put in mine, handfuls. Why should I work as hard as she? Also, when they were not looking, I placed berries in my mouth, taking care that the juices not stain my lips, revealing that I had eaten them. I had done this sort of thing often before, when I had picked berries for Targo's caravans. Ute and the guard had never seen.
Captive of Gor page 307

"Did you steal berries from El-in-or?" demanded Ute.
"No, no!" she cried.
"El-in-or," said Ute, "did you, or did you not, steal berries from Techne?"
"I did not," I said.
Ute turned to the guard.
"The first one," he said, "tells the truth. The second one is lying."
Captive of Gor page 308

I put my head down, miserable.
"I will not steal berries again, Ute," I said.
"No," she said, "I do not think you will."
Captive of Gor page 308

Ute then went to Techne. "Did you eat any of the berries?" she asked.
"No," said Techne, frightened.
Then Ute stood before me.
"Did you, El-in-or, eat any of the berries?" she asked.
"No, Ute," I said. "No!"
Captive of Gor page 309

"What happened?" I asked.
"I lived for some days in the forest, but poorly, on berries and nuts. I tried to make snares. I caught nothing. Then, one morning, when I was lying on my stomach beside a stream, drinking, I lifted my head to find myself surrounded by armed panther girls. There were eleven of them. How pleased I was to see them! They seemed so proud, and strong, and were armed."
Hunters of Gor pages 57-58

A great amount of farming, or perhaps one should speak of gardening, is done at the oasis, but little of this is exported. At the oasis will be grown a hybrid, brownish Sa-Tarna, adapted to the heat of the desert; most Sa-Tarna is yellow; and beans, berries, onions tuber suls, various sorts of melons, a foliated leaf vegetable, called Katch, and various root vegetables, such as turnips, carrots, radishes, and the sphere and cylinder varieties, and korts, a large brownish-skinned, thick-skinned, sphere-shaped vegetable, usually some six inches in width, the interior of which is yellowish, fibrous and heavily seeded.
Tribesmen of Gor page 37

"It will amuse me," he said, "to think of Tarl Cabot, laboring in the brine pits. As I rest in my palace, in the cool of the rooms, on cushions, relishing custards and berries, sipping beverages, delighted by my slave girls, among them your pretty Vella, I shall think of you often, Tarl Cabot."
Tribesmen of Gor page 124

Hot Bazi tea I wanted. This is an important trade item in the north. I now knew why. The southern sugars are also popular. I had originally supposed this was because of their sweetness, there being few sweet items, save some berries, in the north. I now began to suspect that the calories of the sugars also played their role in their popularity. The red hunters think little of eating half a pound of sugar at a sitting.
Beasts of Gor page 206

Berries, Dried
In the morning we left our camp early. A swallow of water from the flask and small, dry berries gathered from the nearby shrubbery were our only sustenance.
Tarnsman of Gor page 115

Cherries, Tyros
With the tip of my tongue I touched her lips. Some slave cosmetics are flavored. "Does Master enjoy my taste?" she asked. "The lipstick is flavored," I said. "I know," she said. "It reminds me of the cherries of Tyros," I said. "I do not know what the flavor is," she said, "but it is lovely, is it not?"
Beasts of Gor page 349

Chokecherries
Crushed fruit, usually chokecherries, is then added to the meat.
Blood Brothers of Gor page 46

Citrus Fruit [non-specific]
Kal-da is a hot drink, almost scalding, made of diluted Ka-la-na wine, mixed with citrus juices and stinging spices. I did not care much for this mouth-burning concoction, but it was popular with some of the lower castes, particularly those who performed strenuous manual labor.
Outlaw of Gor page 76

Dates
About Kutaituchik there were piled various goods, mostly vessels of precious metal and strings and piles of jewels; there was silk there from Tyros; silver from Thentis and Tharna; tapestries from the mills of Ar; wines from Cos; dates from the city of Tor.
Nomads of Gor page 42

The principal export of the oases are dates and pressed-date bricks. Some of the date palms grow to more than a hundred feet high. It takes ten years before they begin to bear fruit. They will then yield fruit for more than a century. A given tree, annually, yields between one and five Gorean weights of fruit. A weight is some ten stone, or some forty Earth pounds.
Tribesmen of Gor page 37

A veiled woman was hawking dates by the tefa. A handful with the five fingers closed, not open, is a tef. Six such handfuls constitutes a tefa, which is a tiny basket. Five such baskets constitutes a huda.
Tribesmen of Gor page 46

Once she stole a date. I did not whip her.
Tribesmen of Gor page 81

Moreover, with the dates purchased by these, I hoped to have a suitable disguise, as a merchant in date bricks, in moving eastward.
Tribesmen of Gor pages 100-101

"Seventy weights of dates for the stones," said Suleiman to me. The price was fair, and good. In his way, he was being magnanimous with me.
Tribesmen of Gor pages 108-109

From outside I could smell date palms, pomegranates.
Tribesmen of Gor page 115

"Out of my way," said a soldier, reaching down to splash water in his face. I deferred to him, which it seemed to be was advisable for a local date merchant.
Tribesmen of Gor page 135

"There are palm groves, five of them," I said.
"Yes," he said.
"Pomegranate orchards lie at the east of the oasis," I said. "Gardens lie inward. There is even a pond, between two of the groves of date palms."
Tribesmen of Gor page 174

There were five palm groves. At the east of the oasis lay pomegranate orchards. Toward its lower parts, in its center, were the gardens.
Tribesmen of Gor page 175

Between two of the groves of date palms there was a large pool.
Tribesmen of Gor page 175

"Masters," said Peggy, approaching the table, kneeling beside it, bearing a tray. She placed the tray on the table, and removed three plates of bread and meat from it, a dish of assorted cheeses, a bowl of dates, a pitcher of water, a pot of black wine, steaming and tiny vessels of sugars and creams, and three goblets.
Rogue of Gor page 233

We then, from the tray, feeding ourselves, taking dates, and slices of larma and pastries, breakfasted and chatted.
Guardsman of Gor page 295

Date Bricks
The principal export of the oases are dates and pressed-date bricks. Some of the date palms grow to more than a hundred feet high. It takes ten years before they begin to bear fruit. They will then yield fruit for more than a century. A given tree, annually, yields between one and five Gorean weights of fruit. A weight is some ten stone, or some forty Earth pounds.
Tribesmen of Gor page 37

"I am a humble merchant," I said. "I have a few small stones which I would like to sell at the Oasis of Nine Wells to buy date bricks to return and sell in Tor."
Tribesmen of Gor page 62

"Why are you bound for the Oasis of Nine Wells?" asked the captain.
"I have gems to sell Suleiman, your master," said I, "for bricks of pressed dates."
Tribesmen of Gor page 84

"What would you like for these five stones?" he asked.
"A hundred weights of date bricks," I said.
"That is too high," he said.
Of course it was too high. The trick, of course, was to make the asking price high enough to arrive at some reasonable exchange value later on, and, at the same time, not insult a man of Suleiman's position and intelligence.
Tribesmen of Gor page 92

"Twenty weights of date bricks," he said.
"That is too low," I said.
Suleiman studied the stones. He knew his suggested price was too low. He was merely concerned to consider what they might, competitively, be worth.
Tribesmen of Gor page 93

"It is your intention," he said, "to gain access to the presence of Suleiman, and assassinate him!"
"That seems an ill-devised strategem to obtain a good price in date bricks," I said.
Tribesmen of Gor page 94

"Twenty-five weights of date bricks," he said.
"Ninety," I said.
"Your price is too high," he said.
"Your price, in my opinion, " I said, "great pasha, is perhaps a bit low."
Tribesmen of Gor page 100

The true worth of the stones, which I had had appraised carefully in Tor, against their best information as to the date yields, was between sixty and eighty weights in pressed date bricks.
Tribesmen of Gor page 100

Moreover, with the dates purchased by these, I hoped to have a suitable disguise, as a merchant in date bricks, in moving eastward.
Tribesmen of Gor pages 100-101

I obtained, too, a set of kaiila bells, and two sacks of pressed-date bricks. These are long-rectangular bricks, weighing about a stone apiece, or, in Earth weight, about four pounds.
Tribesmen of Gor pages 134-135

In the neighborhood of noon, moving slowly, in the yellow and purple striped burnoose, with sash, water bags at the flanks of my kaiila, sacks of pressed-date brisk tied across the withers, kaiila bells ringing, calling attention to myself and my wares, I left the oasis.
Tribesmen of Gor page 135

Fruit [non-specific]
I supplemented my diet with fresh fruit picked from bushes and trees, and fish speared in Gor's cold, swift-flowing streams.
Outlaw of Gor page 48

Saphrar reclined on the yellow cushions, behind the low table covered with wines, fruits and golden dishes heaped with delicate viands.
Nomads of Gor page 85

Kuurus pointed to a fruit on a flat-topped wagon with wooden wheels, drawn by a small four-legged, horned tharlarion.
Assassin of Gor page 7

I heard a movement near us. I turned and saw a female slave, in a rep-cloth kitchen tunic, stained with food, approaching, bearing a tray of fruit with a flask of wine. She was followed by a guard.
Assassin of Gor page 183

The guard unlocked the door and the kitchen slave, deferentially, entered, her head down and placed the tray of fruit and wine on a small low table near the divan. She then, head down, began to back lightly away.
Assassin of Gor page 183

The prisoner now seemed in a better mood. There was a new haughtiness in her movements. She looked down at the tray of fruit and wine and laughed, and picked up a fruit and bit into it, smiling.
Assassin of Gor page 183

A Builder, whose robes were stained with thrown fruit, hastily strode by. "You had better be indoors," said he, "on Kajuralia."
Assassin of Gor page 223

In the private pens we were given better food, lean meats and vegetables and fruits, and, if our group had trained acceptably, after the evening meal, before being returned, hooded, to the public pens, we would be given candies or pastries, or sometimes, a swallow of Ka-la-na wine.
Captive of Gor page 163

I followed the stream for an Ahn, sometimes stopping to lift my head to overhanging branches, to nibble at hanging fruits.
Captive of Gor page 182

A cart was passing, flanked by huntsmen and slaves, bearing their burdens of gourds, flowers, nuts and fruits.
Captive of Gor page 213

I, however, contented myself with nuts and fruits, and roots, and water creatures which resembled those with which I was familiar, and, of course, the flesh of small birds and animals.
Captive of Gor pages 236-237

Mostly I ate fruits and nuts, and some roots.
Captive of Gor page 247

Accordingly I turned to my left, picking some fruit as I went.
Captive of Gor page 248

I had often begged Ute to be permitted to go beyond the palisade to pick fruit. But, always, she had, for some reason, forbidden me this permission.
Captive of Gor page 305

Merchants brought sides of bosk, and thighs of tarsk, and wines and fruits to camp, and cheeses and breads and nuts, and flowers and candies and silks and honeys.
Captive of Gor page 321

We took the prisoners to a nearby stream and watered them. We then let them, with their teeth, pick fruit from low-hanging branches.
Hunters of Gor page 208

"Then gather fruit and nuts for them," said the red-haired girl.
"Yes, Mistress," said Ilene.
Hunters of Gor page 224

I saw small fruit trees, and hives, where honey bees were raised; and there were small sheds, here and there, with sloping roofs of boards; in some such sheds might craftsmen work; in others fish might be dried or butter made.
Marauders of Gor page 81

On the dais, with him, were several men, low tables of food, fruit, stews, tidbits of roast verr, assorted breads.
Tribesmen of Gor page 212

Fruit, Dried [non-specific]
In these first voyages I was content, quite, to carry tools and stone, dried fruit, dried fish, bolts of rep-cloth, tem-wood, Tur-wood and Ka-la-na stock, and horn and hides.
Raiders of Gor 138

The men are fed twice, once in the morning, once at night, when the hood is opened, and thrust up some inches to permit eating. Food is thrust in their mouths. It was generally dried fruit, crackers and a bit of salt, to compensate for the salt loss during the day's march, consequent on perspiration.
Tribesmen of Gor page 226

A man handed me a bag of food. It contained dried fruit, biscuits, salt.
"My thanks," I said. We had not expected food.
Tribesmen of Gor page 267

Fruit, Hard
There was the odor of food in the kitchen, and of spilled drink. There were several yards of sausages hung on hooks; numerous canisters of flour, sugars and salts; many smaller containers of spices and condiments. Two large wine jugs stood in one corner of the room. There were many closed pantries lining the walls, and a number of pumps and tubs on one side. Some boxes and baskets of hard fruit were stored there. I could see the bread ovens in one wall; the long fire pit over which could be put cooking racks, the mountings for spits and kettle hooks; the fire pit was mostly black now, but, here and there, I could see a few broken sticks of glowing charcoal; aside from this, the light in the room came from one small tharlarion oil lamp hanging from the ceiling, near the side where the kitchen slaves were chained, presumably to facilitate the guard check which, during the night, took place each second Ahn; the other lamps in the room were now extinguished.
Assassin of Gor pages 271-272

Grapes
The fruit -grapes and peaches of some sort- was fresh and as cold as mountain snow.
Tarnsman of Gor page 26

The meal was completed by a handful of grapes and a draught of water from the wall tap.
Priest Kings of Gor page 45

One thing of that sort I recall is a trick where the girl feeds the master a grape held between her teeth. She may or may not have her wrists braceleted behind her back for this particular feat. One leg is folded beneath her and the other is extended behind her, toes pointing, and then she lifts the grape delicately to your mouth. Elizabeth and I used to laugh heartily over this one, but I think it was effective, as I seldom got beyond the third grape.
Assassin of Gor pages 203-204

This was not unusual, however, for Ho-Sorl invariably demanded that the proud Phyllis, who professed to despise him, serve him as table slave, which service she would ultimately, irritably, head in the air, have to render him, whether it be merely the pouring of his wine or the offering of a grape held delicately between her teeth.
Assassin of Gor page 241

There was a flash of slave bells at my side and a dark-haired, yellow-silked girl, a paga girl, knelt beside us, where we sat cross-legged behind the small table. "Paga, Masters?"
"For three," said I, expansively. "And bring bread and bosk, and grapes."
"Yes, Master."
Hunters of Gor page 46

Ka-la-na Fruit
"I'm hungry," she said.
"I am, too," I laughed, suddenly aware that I had not eaten anything since the night before. I was ravenous. "Over there," I said, "are some Ka-la-na trees. Wait here and I'll gather some fruit."
Tarnsman of Gor page 96

I picked some Ka-la-na fruit and opened one of the packages of rations. Talena returned and sat beside me on the grass. I shared the food with her.
Tarnsman of Gor page 106

In the distance I could see some patches of yellow, the Ka-la-na groves that dot the fields of Gor. Far to my left I saw a splendid field of Sa-Tarna, bending beautifully in the wind, that tall yellow grain that forms a staple in the Gorean diet.
Outlaw of Gor pages 19-20

I could see the shadows of tall Ka-la-na trees bending against the darkness of the night, their leaves lifting and rustling on the long branches.
Outlaw of Gor page 35

Beyond Tharna and its gloomy soil, continually broken by its stony outcroppings, I could see the green fields of Gor, glades of yellow Ka-la-na trees, the shimmering surface of a placid lake and the bright blue sky, open and beckoning.
Outlaw of Gor page 126

Besides several of the flower trees there were also some Ka-la-na trees, or the yellow wine trees of Gor; there was one large-trunked, reddish Tur tree, about which curled its assemblage of Tur-Pah, a vinelike tree parasite which curled, scarlet, ovate leaves, rather lovely to look upon; the leaves of the Tur-Pah incidentally are edible and figure in certain Gorean dishes, such as sullage, a kind of soup; long ago, I had heard, a Tur tree was found on the prairie, near a spring, planted perhaps long before by someone who passed by; it was from that Tur tree that the city of Turia took its name; there was also, at one side of the garden, against the far wall, a grove of tem-wood linear, black, supple.
Nomads of Gor page 217

In these first voyages I was content, quite, to carry tools and stone, dried fruit, dried fish, bolts of rep-cloth, tem-wood, Tur-wood and Ka-la-na stock, and horn and hides.
Raiders of Gor 138

Fortunately for Targo he had managed to bring his caravan to the edge of a vast Ka-la-na thicket just before the tarnsmen had struck.
Captive of Gor page 62

We had run for perhaps an Ahn, when, gasping, exhausted, scarcely able to move, we had reached the edge of a large Ka-la-na thicket.
Captive of Gor page 231

On the tenth day, instead of the pan of bread, with the water, Ute thrust a different pan under the door. I screamed. Tiny things, with tiny sounds, moved, crawling over and about one another in it. I screamed again, and thrust it back out. It had been filled with the fat, loathsome green insects which, in the Ka-la-na thicket, Ute had told me were edible. Indeed, she had eaten them. "They are nourishing," she had said. I screamed hysterically, pounding at the sides of the slave box.
Captive of Gor page 315

Larma
Harold tossed the emptied, collapsed shell of the larma fruit into a corner of the room and whipped one of the scarfs from his belt.
Nomads of Gor page 220

I dodged a hurled larma fruit which splattered on the wall of a cylinder near me.
Assassin of Gor page 224

Again he came under the table, and this time his hand darted out and back, and he began to chew on his prize, a peel of larma fruit snatched from a plate, discarded as garbage. He was grinning and cooing to himself while chewing on the peel.
Assassin of Gor page 321

I looked up. The slave boy, Fish, had emerged from the kitchen, holding over his head on a large silver platter a whole roasted tarsk, steaming and crisped, basted, shining under the torchlight, a larma in its mouth, garnished with suls and Tur-pah.
Raiders of Gor 219

Behind the cage I reached in and stole the food she had in the cage, two larma fruit lying, split, on its metal floor. I bit into one and tossed the other to Lana, who too, ate it.
Captive of Gor page 222

Yesterday, by slave girls, under the direction of Ena, who was high girl, I had been washed and combed, and then fed. The food had been good, bread and bosk meat, roasted, and cheese, and larma fruit.
Captive of Gor page 270

Rim tugged the knot loose.
From the garment, to the sand about her ankles, there fell several small Gorean plums, a small larma fruit and two silver tarsks.
Hunters of Gor page 92

"There are many things I do not understand," said Samos to me. I reached for a slice of larma fruit, and bit through it.
Tribesmen of Gor page 7

I took another piece of larma fruit. "I gather," I said, " you have information?"
Tribesmen of Gor page 8

I idly observed the dancer. Her eyes were on me. It seemed, in her hands, she held ripe fruits for me, lush larma, fresh picked.
Tribesmen of Gor page 27

She touched the imaginary larma to her body, caressing her swaying beauty with it, and then, eyes piteous, held her hands forth, as though begging me to accept the lush fruit.
Tribesmen of Gor page 27

Another device, common in Port Kar, is for the girl to kneel before the master and put her head down and lift her arms, offering him fruit, usually a larma, or a yellow Gorean peach, ripe and fresh.
Tribesmen of Gor pages 27-28

I looked into the cupped hands, held toward me. They might have been linked in slave bracelets. They might have held lush larma.
Tribesmen of Gor page 28

Larma and tospit are also grown at the oases, in small orchards.
Tribesmen of Gor page 37

In the cafes, I had feasted well. I had had verr meat, cut in chunks and threaded on a metal rod, with slices of peppers and larma, and roasted; vulo stew with raisins, nuts, onions and honey; a kort with melted cheese and nutmeg; hot Bazi tea, sugared, and, later, Turian wine.
Tribesmen of Gor pages 47-48

The tables were covered with cloths of glistening white and a service of gold. Before each guests there were tiny slices of tospit and larma, small pastries, and, in a tiny golden cup, with a small golden spoon, the clustered, black, tiny eggs of the white grunt.
Fighting Slave of Gor pages 275-276

We then, from the tray, feeding ourselves, taking dates, and slices of larma and pastries, breakfasted and chatted.
Guardsman of Gor page 295

He also gave me a slice of dried larma, some raisins and a plum.
Kajira of Gor page 216

"My master's tavern is the Larma!" said the third.
I smiled. The larma is luscious. It has a rather hard shell but the shell is brittle and easily broken. Within, the fleshy endocarp, the fruit, is delicious, and very juicy. Sometimes, when a woman is referred to as a "larma," it is suggested that her hard or frigid exterior conceals a rather different sort of interior, one likely to be quite delicious. Once the shell has been broke through or removed, irrevocably, there is, you see, exposed, soft, vulnerable, juicy and helpless, the interior, in the fruit, the fleshy endocarp, in the woman, the slave.
Renegades of Gor page 437

Larma, Hard
"Do not be afraid," I said. I took a slice of hard larma from my tray. This is a firm, single-seeded, applelike fruit. It is quite unlike the segmented, juicy larma. It is sometimes called, and perhaps more aptly, the pit fruit, because of its large single stone. I held it up so that he could see it. The urt people, I understood, were fond of pit fruit.
Players of Gor page 267

Larma, Red
He then picked up a juicy, red larma fruit, biting into it with a sound that seemed partly crunching as he went through the shell, partly squishing as he bit into the fleshy, segmented endocarp.
Nomads of Gor page 220

Larma, Torian
"And put bread over the fire," I said, "and honey, and the eggs of vulos, and fried tarsk meat and a Torian larma fruit."
The girl nodded and, rising gracefully, backing away a step or two, head down, turned and went to the kitchen.
Assassin of Gor page 106

Melon
A great amount of farming, or perhaps one should speak of gardening, is done at the oasis, but little of this is exported. At the oasis will be grown a hybrid, brownish Sa-Tarna, adapted to the heat of the desert; most Sa-Tarna is yellow; and beans, berries, onions tuber suls, various sorts of melons, a foliated leaf vegetable, called Katch, and various root vegetables, such as turnips, carrots, radishes, and the sphere and cylinder varieties, and korts, a large brownish-skinned, thick-skinned, sphere-shaped vegetable, usually some six inches in width, the interior of which is yellowish, fibrous and heavily seeded.
Tribesmen of Gor page 37

"Buy melons!" called a fellow next to her, lifting one of the yellowish, red-striped spheres toward me.
Tribesmen of Gor page 45

Peach, Yellow
The fruit -grapes and peaches of some sort- was fresh and as cold as mountain snow.
Tarnsman of Gor page 26

Another device, common in Port Kar, is for the girl to kneel before the master and put her head down and lift her arms, offering him fruit, usually a larma, or a yellow Gorean peach, ripe and fresh.
Tribesmen of Gor pages 27-28

Pear
She saw I was still watching her. In her hand there was a half of a yellow Gorean pear, the remains of a half moon of verr cheese imbedded in it.
Explorers of Gor page 62

Pit Fruit
"Do not be afraid," I said. I took a slice of hard larma from my tray. This is a firm, single-seeded, applelike fruit. It is quite unlike the segmented, juicy larma. It is sometimes called, and perhaps more aptly, the pit fruit, because of its large single stone. I held it up so that he could see it. The urt people, I understood, were fond of pit fruit.
Players of Gor page 267

Plums
Rim tugged the knot loose.
From the garment, to the sand about her ankles, there fell several small Gorean plums, a small larma fruit and two silver tarsks.
Hunters of Gor page 92

I was jostled to one side by two men in djellabas. My ankle stung. I had nearly stepped into a basket of plums. Not even looking up, a woman had cried out, and, with a stick lashed out, protecting her merchandise.
Tribesmen of Gor page 45

He also gave me a slice of dried larma, some raisins and a plum.
Kajira of Gor page 216

Pomegranate
From outside I could smell date palms, pomegranates.
Tribesmen of Gor page 115

"There are palm groves, five of them," I said.
"Yes," he said.
"Pomegranate orchards lie at the east of the oasis," I said. "Gardens lie inward. There is even a pond, between two of the groves of date palms."
Tribesmen of Gor page 174

There were five palm groves. At the east of the oasis lay pomegranate orchards. Toward its lower parts, in its center, were the gardens.
Tribesmen of Gor page 175

Pumpkins
They grow produce for their masters, such as wagmeza and wagmu, maize, or corn, and such things as pumpkins and squash.
Savages of Gor page 234

Raisins
In the cafes, I had feasted well. I had had verr meat, cut in chunks and threaded on a metal rod, with slices of peppers and larma, and roasted; vulo stew with raisins, nuts, onions and honey; a kort with melted cheese and nutmeg; hot Bazi tea, sugared, and, later, Turian wine.
Tribesmen of Gor pages 47-48

He also gave me a slice of dried larma, some raisins and a plum.
Kajira of Gor page 216

Ram-berries
A guard was with us, and we were charged with filling our leather buckets with ram-berries, a small, reddish fruit with edible seeds, not unlike tiny plums, save for the many small seeds. I had picked such berries before, with Targo's caravan. Indeed, the first fruit on Gor I had eaten had been such berries.
Captive of Gor page 305

Late in the afternoon, I was sent outside, leashed again with Techne, to pick ram-berries. I did not steal berries from her, nor did I eat any.
Captive of Gor page 316

Ta Grapes
The meal was completed by a handful of grapes and a draught of water from the wall tap. The grapes were purple and, I suppose, Ta grapes from the lower vineyards of the terraced island of Cos some four hundred pasangs from Port Kar. I had tasted some only once before, having been introduced to them at a feast given in my honor by Lara, who was Tatrix of the city of Tharna. If they were indeed Ta grapes I supposed they must have come by galley from Cos to Port Kar, and from Port Kar to the Fair of En'Kara. Port Kar and Cos are hereditary enemies, but such traditions would not be likely to preclude some profitable smuggling. But perhaps they were not Ta grapes for Cos was distant, and even if carried by tarns, the grapes would probably not seem so fresh.
Priest Kings of Gor page 45

I was astonished, for this girl was dressed not as a Gorean, not as a girl of any of the cities of the Counter-Earth, not as a peasant of the Sa-Tarna fields or the vineyards where the Ta grapes are raised, not even as a girl of the fierce Wagon Peoples.
Nomads of Gor page 35

Cos is also a lofty island, even loftier than Tyros, but she has level fields to her west. Cos had many terraces, on which the Ta grapes are grown.
Raiders of Gor 139

"Fetch Ta grapes from the kitchen," I told her.
Raiders of Gor 224

Other girls, with bits of food, gave us to feed, with their tiny fingers placing tidbits, delicacies, into our mouths. One girl held back our head, and others, from goblets, gave us of wines, Turian wines, sweet and thick, Ta wine, from the famed Ta grapes, from the terraces of Cos, wines even, Ka-la-nas, sweet and drys, from distant Ar. Our heads swirled. We heard music. Musicians had entered the room. "Feast," said the man on the dais.
Tribesmen of Gor page 213

Tospit
On the back of the kaiila, the black lance in hand, bending down in the saddle, I raced past a wooden wand fixed in the earth, on the top of which was placed a dried tospit, a small, wrinkled, yellowish-white peachlike fruit, about the size of a plum, which grows on the tospit bush, patches of which are indigenous to the drier valleys of the western Cartius. They are bitter but edible.
"Well done!" cried Kamchak as he saw the tospit, unsplit, impaled halfway down the shaft of the lance, stopped only by my fist and the retaining strap.
Such a thrust was worth two points for us.
I heard Elizabeth Cardwell's cry of joy as she leaped into the air, clumsy in the furs, clapping her hands. She carried, on a strap around her neck, a sack of tospits. I looked at her and smiled. Her face was vital and flushed with excitement.
"Tospit!" called Conrad of the Kassars, the Blood People, and the girl hastened to set another fruit on the wand.
There was a thunder of kaiila paws on the worn turf and Conrad, with his red lance, nipped the tospit neatly from the tip of the wand, the lance point barely passing into it, he having drawn back at the last instant.
Nomads of Gor page 59

He looked at me shrewdly and, to my surprise, drew a tospit out of his pouch, that yellowish-white, bitter fruit, looking something like a peach but about the size of a plum. He threw me the tospit.
"Odd or even?" he asked.
I had resolved not to wager with Kamchak, but this was indeed an opportunity to gain a certain amount of vengeance which, on my part, would be sorely appreciated. Usually, in guessing tospit seeds, one guesses the actual number, and usually both guessers opt for an odd number. The common tospit almost invariably has an odd number of seeds. On the other hand the rare, long-stemmed tospit usually has an even number of seeds. Both fruits are indistinguishable outwardly. I could see that, perhaps by accident, the tospit which Kamchak had thrown me had the stem twisted off. It must be then, I surmised, the rare, long-stemmed tospit.
"Even,"I said.
Kamchak looked at me as though pained. "Tospits almost always have an odd number of seeds," he said.
"Even," I said.
"Very well," said he, "eat the tospit and see."
"Why should I eat it?" I asked. The tospit, after all, is quite bitter. And why shouldn't Kamchak eat it? He had suggested the wager.
"I am a Tuchuk," said Kamchak, "I might be tempted to swallow seeds."
"Let's cut it up," I proposed.
"One might miss a seed that way," said Kamchak.
"Perhaps we could mash the slices," I suggested.
"But would that not be a great deal of trouble," asked Kamchak, "and might one not stain the rug?"
"Perhaps we could mash them in a bowl," I suggested.
"But then a bow would have to be washed," said Kamchak.
"That is true," I admitted.
"All things considered," said Kamchak, "I think the fruit should be eaten."
"I guess you are right," I said.
I bit into the fruit philosophically. It was indeed bitter.
"Besides," said Kamchak, "I do not much care for tospits."
"I am not surprised," I said.
"They are quite bitter," said Kamchak.
"Yes," I said.
I finished the fruit and, of course, it had seven seeds.
"Most tospits," Kamchak informed me, "have an odd number of seeds."
"I know," I said.
"Then why did you guess even?" he asked.
"I supposed," I grumbled, "that you would have found a long-stemmed tospit."
"But they are not available," he said, "until late in the summer."
"Oh," I said.
"Since you lost," pointed out Kamchak, "I think it is only fair that you pay the admission to the performance."
Nomads of Gor pages 149-150

The tospits, in the Forkbeard's orchards, which can grow at this latitude, as the larma cannot, were too green to eat. I smiled, recalling that tospits almost invariably have an odd number of seeds, saving the rarer, long-stemmed variety. I do not care too much for tospits, as they are quite bitter. Some men like them. They are commonly used, sliced and sweetened with honey, and in syrups, and to flavor, with their juices, a variety of dishes. They are also excellent in the prevention of nutritional deficiencies at sea, in long voyages, containing, I expect, a great deal of vitamin C. They are sometimes called the seaman's larma. They are a fairly hard-fleshed fruit, and are not difficult to dry and store. On the serpents, they are carried in small barrels, usually kept, with vegetables, under the overturned keel of the long boat.
Marauders of Gor page 102

Thyri returned down the gangplank, a yoke on her shoulders, from which dangled two empty baskets, on ropes. She had been carrying tospits and vegetables to the deck locker, to fill it.
Marauders of Gor pages 288-289

"Fetch more tospits, Slave Girl," he called. "Yes, Master," said Thyri.
Marauders of Gor page 289

Larma and tospit are also grown at the oases, in small orchards.
Tribesmen of Gor page 37

A boy passed, spitting out the seeds of a tospit. The thought of Kamchak, of the Tuchuks, passed through my mind. I smiled. Only the rare, long-stemmed tospit contained an even number of seeds.
Tribesmen of Gor pages 45-46

Still, if pressed, I would have guessed that the boy's tospit contained an odd number of seeds. Most tospits do.
Tribesmen of Gor page 46

I was mildly surprised that the boy had been eating the tospit raw, for they are quite bitter, but, I knew that people of the Tahari regions, these bright, hot regions, relished strong tastes and smells.
Tribesmen of Gor page 46

The tables were covered with cloths of glistening white and a service of gold. Before each guests there were tiny slices of tospit and larma, small pastries, and, in a tiny golden cup, with a small golden spoon, the clustered, black, tiny eggs of the white grunt.
Fighting Slave of Gor pages 275-276

Lola now returned to the small table and, kneeling, head down, served us our dessert, slices of tospit, sprinkled with four Gorean sugars.
Rogue of Gor page 132

No comments:

Post a Comment