Sunday, October 27, 2013

Meat -Bosk

Bosk
In a vast low case, on the floor of which apparently grew real grass, I saw a pair of shaggy, long-horned bosk grazing, and in the same case but in a different corner was a small herd, no more than five adult animals, a proud male and four does, of tabuk, the single-horned golden Gorean antelope.
Priest Kings of Gor page 191

The bosk, without which the Wagon Peoples could not live, is an oxlike creature. It is a huge, shambling animal, with a thick, humped neck and long, shaggy hair. It has a wide head and tiny red eyes, a temper to match that of a sleen, and two long, wicked horns that reach out from its head and suddenly curve forward to terminate in fearful points. Some of these horns, on the larger animals, measured from tip to tip, exceed the length of two spears.
Not only does the flesh of the bosk and the milk of its cows furnish the Wagon Peoples with food and drink, but its hides cover the domelike wagons in which they dwell; its tanned and sewn skins cover their bodies; the leather of its hump is used for their shields; its sinews for their thread; its bones and horns are split and tooled into implements of a hundred sorts, from awls, punches and spoons to drinking flagons and weapon tips; its hoofs are used for glues; its oils are used to grease their bodies against the cold. Even the dung of the bosk finds its uses on the treeless prairies, being dried and used for fuel. The bosk is said to be the Mother of the Wagon Peoples, and they reverence it as such.
Nomads of Gor pages 4-5

"You are strong, but stupid." She laughed. "I shall call you Bosk," she said.
The Bosk is a large, horned, shambling ruminant of the Gorean plains. It is herded below the Gorean equator by the Wagon Peoples, but there are Bosk herds on ranches in the north as well, and peasants often keep some of the animals.
Raiders of Gor page 26

Bosk, Dried
Kamchak strode among the wagons, toward the sound and I followed him closely. Many others, too, rushed to the sound, and we were jostled by armed warriors, scarred and fierce; by boys with unscarred faces, carrying the pointed sticks used often for goading the wagon bosk; by leather-clad women hurrying from the cooking pots; by wild, half-clothed children; even by enslaved Kajir-clad beauties of Turia; even the girl was there who wore but bells and collar, struggling under her burden, long dried strips of bosk meat, as wide as beams, she too hurrying to see what might be the meaning of the drums and horn, of the shouting Tuchuks.
Nomads of Gor page 34

My weapons shared the boat, with a gourd of water and a tin of bread and dried bosk meat.
Raiders of Gor page 2

I rejoiced, moving ahead. There was not much water left in the gourd now, and it was the last of several I had brought with me. The dried bosk meat in the tin, and the bread with it, yellow Sa-Tarna bread, now stale, was almost gone.
Raiders of Gor page 8

I had been well fed the night before, for I had stopped, hidden in the darkness, near a peasant village, where, from a pole, I had stolen a piece of drying meat, bosk flesh. It was far superior to what I had been able to snare.
Captive of Gor page 247

Bosk, Meat
In that moment the shadow of the tarn covered the ledge and, with a great beating of wings, the monster rejoined us. In its talons it held a great piece of meat, bloody and raw, which had been torn from some kill, perhaps a bosk more than twenty pasangs away. It dropped the great piece of meat before me.
I did not move.
I had no wish to contest this prize with the great bird. But the tarn did not attack the meat. I gathered that it had already fed somewhere on the plains below. An examination of its beak confirmed this guess. And there was no nest on the ledge, no female tarn, no screeching brood of tarnlings. The great beak nudged the meat against my legs.
It was a gift.
Outlaw of Gor page 138

I would still, I told myself, settle for a piece of bosk meat.
Nomads of Gor page 86

Kamchak, once a day, at night, the hour in which sleens are fed, would throw the girls bits of bosk meat and fill a pan of water kept in the cage.
Nomads of Gor page 185

He was eating a piece of bosk meat in the Tuchuk fashion, holding the meat in his left hand and between his teeth, and cutting pieces from it with a quiva scarcely a quarter inch from his lips, then chewing the severed bite and then again holding the meat in his hand and teeth and cutting again.
Nomads of Gor page 186

I heard someone chewing nearby and noted that Harold, who had thrust some strips of bosk meat from the commissary wagon in his belt, was busily engaged, quiva in hand with cutting and eating the meat.
Nomads of Gor page 308

It was easier to steal meat, good bosk meat, from ignorant peasants!
Captive of Gor page 248

He then, with his tarn knife, from a piece of raw bosk meat, cut four small pieces of meat, which he placed in my mouth. "Feed," he said. I chewed the meat, eyes closed, swallowing it.
Captive of Gor page 256

Rask of Treve looked at me. He was in an expansive mood. He cut a large slice of juicy bosk meat. My mouth watered. He smiled, and then he threw it to me. I caught it, happily, and with two hands, began to feed on it.
Captive of Gor page 302

Merchants brought sides of bosk, and thighs of tarsk, and wines and fruits to camp, and cheeses and breads and nuts, and flowers and candies and silks and honeys.
Captive of Gor page 321

"Release their hands," I said to a seaman, "and feed them."
The girls looked at one another, wonderingly. The seaman unbound their wrists from behind their backs, and filled two trenchers, steaming now with bosk and vulo, which he thrust in their hands.
I watched them while, with fingers and teeth, they devoured the food.
Hunters of Gor page 36

There was a flash of slave bells at my side and a dark-haired, yellow-silked girl, a paga girl, knelt beside us, where we sat cross-legged behind the small table. "Paga, Masters?"
"For three," said I, expansively. "And bring bread and bosk, and grapes."
"Yes, Master."
Hunters of Gor page 46

Rim and Thurnock laughed. "A thief," said Thurnock, swallowing a mouthful of bosk and reaching for the paga goblet.
Hunters of Gor page 47

"I would have paga," I said. "And bring me the red meat of bosk."
Marauders of Gor page 22

Sa-Tarna is the major crop of the Forkbeard's lands, but, too, there are many gardens, and, as I have noted, bosk and verr, too, are raised.
Marauders of Gor page 102

Bosk, Roasted
"Perhaps," he suggested, "you would like a piece of roasted bosk meat?"
I replaced the golden eating prong in its rack beside my place, shoved back the glittering dish in which lay several theoretically edible objects, carefully arranged by a slave to resemble a bouquet of wild flowers sprouting from a rock outcropping. "Yes," I said, "I think so."
Saphrar conveyed my wishes to the scandalized Feast Steward, and he, with a glare in my direction, sent two young slaves scampering off to scour the kitchens of Turia for a slice of Bosk meat.
Nomads of Gor page 86

My piece of bosk meat, roasted, had arrived. I picked it up and began to chew on it. I liked it better cooked over the open-fires on the prairie, but it was good bosk. I sank my teeth into the juicy meat, tearing it and chewing on it.
Nomads of Gor page 89

Harold and I chewed on some bosk meat roasted over a fire built on the marble floor of the palace of Phanius Turmus. Nearby our tethered kaiila crouched, their paws on the bodies of slain verrs, devouring them.
Nomads of Gor page 271

"Have you eaten?" she asked.
"Yes," I said.
"There is some roast bosk left," she said. "It is cold. It would be a bother to warm it up, so I will not do so. I am not a slave girl, you know."
Nomads of Gor pages 283-284

It was only roast bosk, and half raw, but I devoured it. No delicate, sauced portion of filet mignon which I had savored in any Parisian restaurant compared to that hot, steaming chunk of bosk, half raw, running with juices, that I had seized from the grass of a Gorean field, beside the wagon of a slaver.
Captive of Gor page 66

I could smell roast bosk. It was in the late afternoon.
Captive of Gor page 267

Yesterday, by slave girls, under the direction of Ena, who was high girl, I had been washed and combed, and then fed. The food had been good, bread and bosk meat, roasted, and cheese, and larma fruit.
Captive of Gor page 270

In the stern quarter, behind the open kitchen, the girls were chained by the neck to the deck, to iron rings set in the heavy, sanded wood. Each was given a yard of chain.
I smelled roast bosk cooking, and fried vulo. It would be delicious. I thought no more of the girls.
Hunters of Gor page 34

Tana sucked her fingers. She laughed. "We will never tell you," she said.
"No," said Ela, finishing the last bit of roast bosk, her eyes closed.
Hunters of Gor page 37

We had fed well in the hall of Svein Blue Tooth.
Many were the roast tarsk and roast bosk that had roasted over the long fire, on the iron spits.
Marauders of Gor page 191

Many were the lamps, bowls on spears, which burned, and torches too. And brightly glowed the long fire in the hall, over which tarsk and bosk, crackling and glistening with hot fat, roasted, turned heavily on spits by eager, laughing bond-maids.
Marauders of Gor page 279

The Forkbeard, who had sat near me through the hours of the lonely contest, clasped me about the shoulders. He had ordered roast bosk and hot milk, and then yellow bread and paga.
Marauders of Gor page 289

He sat, cross-legged, behind the low table. On it were hot bread, yellow and fresh, hot black wine, steaming, with its sugars, slices of roast bosk, the scrambled eggs of vulos, pastries with creams and custards.
Beasts of Gor page 20

"More, Master?" inquired the slave in bluish gauze, in the gleaming collar, kneeling behind me and to my left.
"Yes," I said.
With a serving prong she placed narrow strips of roast bosk and fried sul on my plate.
"Enough, Girl," I said.
"Yes, Master," she said.
Guardsman of Gor page 234

Bosk, Steak
The meat was a steak, cut from the loin of a bosk, a huge, shaggy, long-horned, ill-tempered bovine which shambles in large, slow-moving herds across the prairies of Gor. Vika smeared this meat, as thick as the forearm of a warrior, on a small iron grill over a kindling of charcoal cylinders, so that the thin margin of the outside was black, crisp and flaky and sealed within by the touch of the fire was the blood-rich flesh, hot and fat with juice.
Priest Kings of Gor page 45

Beyond the Sullage and the bosk steak there was the inevitable flat, rounded loaf of the yellow Sa-Tarna bread.
Priest Kings of Gor page 45

The Tarn Keeper, who was called by those in the tavern Mip, bought the food, bosk steak and yellow bread, peas and Torian olives, and two golden-brown, starchy Suls, broken open and filled with melted bosk cheese.
Assassin of Gor page 168

No comments:

Post a Comment