Friday, October 25, 2013

Water

"Take what I can use," I said, sorting out the articles in the pouches. Most importantly, I found a compass-chronometer, some rations, two water flasks, bowstrings, binding fiber, and some oil for the mechanism of the crossbow.
Tarnsman of Gor page 105

I picked some Ka-la-na fruit and opened one of the packages of rations. Talena returned and sat beside me on the grass. I shared the food with her.
Tarnsman of Gor page 106

I began to divide the rations I had taken from the pouches of the soldiers.
"What are you doing?" asked Talena.
"I am giving you half of the food," I said.
"But why?" she asked, her eyes apprehensive.
"Because I am leaving you," I said, shoving her share of food toward her, also one of the water flasks. I then tossed her dagger on top of the pile. "You may want this," I said. "You may need it."
Tarnsman of Gor page 108

Toward morning we ate some of the rations and refilled the water flasks at a secluded spring.
Tarnsman of Gor page 112

In the morning we left our camp early. A swallow of water from the flask and small, dry berries gathered from the nearby shrubbery were our only sustenance.
Tarnsman of Gor page 115

The first thing I did was unseal one of the two water flasks and open the dried rations. And there on that windy ledge, in that abode of the tarn, I ate the meal that satisfied me as no other hand ever done, though it consisted only of some mouthfuls of water, some stale biscuits, and a wrapper of dried meat.
Tarnsman of Gor page 144

No rations or water flask had been in the leather package found with the weapons.
Outlaw of Gor page 27

I saw that water had gathered in the concave side of the shield. Gratefully, I lifted it and drank from it.
Outlaw of Gor page 38

From where I was chained, I could reach a cistern of water. A food pan lay near my foot.
Outlaw of Gor page 101

She reached into the cistern, first scraping the surface of the water to clear it of the green scum that floated there, and then, in the palms of her cupped hands, carried water to my parched lips.
Outlaw of Gor page 102

Down that shaft comes not only food but, when needed, canvas, tools, and chains. Drinking water, of course, is supplied by the natural sumps in each mine.
Outlaw of Gor page 155

The temperature of water which sprang from the wall tap, I learned, was regulated by the direction in which the shadow of the hand fell across a light sensitive cell above the tap; the amount of water was correlated with the speed with which the hand passed before the sensor. I was interested to note that one received cold water by a shadow passing from right to left and hot water by a shadow passing from left to right. This reminded me of faucets on Earth, in which the hot water tape is on the left and the cold on the right. Undoubtedly there is a common reason underlying these similar arrangements on Gor and Earth. More cold water is used than hot, and most individuals using the water are right-handed.
Priest Kings of Gor page 44

The meal was completed by a handful of grapes and a draught of water from the wall tap.
Priest Kings of Gor page 45

I wondered why there was only water to drink, and none of the fermented beverages of Gor, such as Paga, Ka-la-na wine or Kal-da. I was sure that if these were available Vika would have set them before me.
Priest Kings of Gor page 45

"Why is there nothing but water to drink?" I asked Vika.
She shrugged. "I suppose," she said, "because the Chamber Slave is alone much of the time."
I looked at her, not fully understanding.
She gazed at me frankly. "It would be too easy then," she said.
I felt like a fool. Of course the Chamber Slaves would not be permitted the escape of intoxication, for if they were so allowed to lighten their bondage undoubtedly, in time, their beauty, their utility to the Priest-Kings would be diminished; they would become unreliable, lost in dreams and wines.
Priest Kings of Gor page 47

I gathered that once, in his earlier years, he might have been a rider of the kaiila, that he might have been skilled with the bow and lance, and the quiva; such a man would not need ceremony; I sensed that once this man might have ridden six hundred pasangs in a day, living on a mouthful of water and a handful of bosk meat kept soft and warm between his saddle and the back of the kaiila; that there might have been few as swift with the quiva, as delicate with the lance, as he; that he had known the wars and the winters of the prairie; that he had met animals and men, as enemies, and had lived; such a man did not need ceremony; such a man I sensed, was Kutaituchik, called Ubar of the Tuchuks.
Nomads of Gor pages 43-44

When the girl had finished and Elizabeth had given her a dipper of water from the leather bucket that hung near the door, Aphris extended her wrists to Kamchak.
Nomads of Gor page 143

Kamchak, once a day, at night, the hour in which sleens are fed, would throw the girls bits of bosk meat and fill a pan of water kept in the cage.
Nomads of Gor page 185

Ho-Tu, I noted, but did not speak to him of it, drank only water and, with a horn spoon, ate only a grain porridge mixed with bosk milk.
Assassin of Gor page 87

Poor Elizabeth, I thought. She would be hungry tonight and in the morning would have to go to the feed troughs in the quarters of the female staff slaves, probably for water and a porridge of grain and vegetables.
Assassin of Gor page 89

Flaminius paid the second girl no attention. "Eat your gruel, Virginia," said he, soothingly, to the first girl.
"What are you going to do with us?" asked the first girl.
"Let us out!" cried the second girl, shaking the bars. "Let us out!"
Virginia Kent picked up the gruel pan and put it to her lips, taking some of the stuff.
"Let us out!" cried the second girl.
"Now drink," said Flaminius.
Virginia lifted the pan of water, and took a sip. The pan was battered, tin, rusted.
Assassin of Gor page 130

We watched as the girl lifted first the gruel pan and then the water pan to her lips, tasting the gruel, taking a swallow of the water.
Assassin of Gor page 131

Around the tenth Gorean hour, the Gorean noon, the rencers ate small rence cakes, dotted with seeds, drank water, and nibbled on scraps of fish. The great feast would be in the evening.
Raiders of Gor page 41

It was now late at night.
We had supped and drank, on provisions brought from the Venna and the Tela.
Raiders of Gor 304

Here and there I found more berries, and, from time to time, more outcroppings of rock in which, almost invariably, I found water, doubtless trapped from recent rains.
Captive of Gor page 45

We were taken from the wagon and, chained outside, kneeling, were fed. In the two days since I had been captured, prior to our encountering the caravan, we had only berries and water, and bits of small game, cooked by the guards and thrown to us in scraps.
Captive of Gor page 65

I fed her in silence, thrusting food into her mouth, telling her to eat swiftly, and then giving her a drink from the leather water bag.
Captive of Gor page 91

I struck out with it, upsetting the pan of water in her cage, emptying it. The water ran over the small circular floor of the cage, and some of it dripped out, falling to the ground.
Captive of Gor page 222

It was near the ninth hour and, soon, almost within an Ahn, I wished to cast off the mooring ropes. The water, many kegs, and the supplies, ranging from hard breads to slave nets, were aboard.
Hunters of Gor page 68

I saw that there was a pan of water within her reach and, on the planking of the hold deck, some pieces of bread and a vegetable.
Hunters of Gor page 75

I observed Tina, carrying a pitcher of water to two of the men working at the side of the Tesephone.
Hunters of Gor page 92

I gave the girl some food from my pouch. I gave her a swallow of water from the flask at my belt.
Hunters of Gor page 113

"Water! Water!" called the man.
"Water," I said.
He came to me, bent over, tattered, swarthy, grinning up at me, the verrskin bag over his shoulder, the brass cups, a dozen of them, attached to shoulder straps and his belt, rattling and clinking. His shoulder on the left was damp from the bag.
Tribesmen of Gor page 36

I took the water and gave the man a copper tarsk.
Tribesmen of Gor page 36

I finished the cup of water and handed the cup back to the water carrier. He bowed, grinning, the bag swollen and bulging, damp on his shoulder, and, hooking the cup on his belt, backed away. "Water!" he called. "Water!"
Tribesmen of Gor page 38

I passed one of the wells of Tor. There were steps, broad, flat, worn, in concentric circles, leading down to the water. At this time of year eight of the steps were uncovered by the water. Many came there for water. I saw children on their hands and knees lapping water, women filling jugs and men submerging bags, the air bubbling as the bags filled. Like most water in the Tahari the water of Tor was slightly salty and unclear.
Tribesmen of Gor pages 56-57

They put honey about her, to attract the tiny black sand flies, which infest such water holes in the spring.
Tribesmen of Gor page 81

Other than the well at Klima, there is no other water within a thousand pasangs.
Tribesmen of Gor page 118

"May your water bags be never empty," said Ibn Saran.
"May you always have water." He put his hand on the bulging water bag, which hung behind the saddle, on the left side of the beast, balanced by another on the right. One drinks alternately from the bags, to maintain the weight distribution. Such weight, of course, slows the kaiila, but, in the desert, one must have much water.
"May your water bags be never empty," I said. "May you always have water."
Tribesmen of Gor page 132

I sampled the water in the two water bags. It was, as I had expected, heavily salted. It was not drinkable.
Tribesmen of Gor page 132

In a short while, at the public well near the chamber of justice, I had filled my water bags and collected the latest gossip.
Tribesmen of Gor page 135

"Out of my way," said a soldier, reaching down to splash water in his face. I deferred to him, which it seemed to be was advisable for a local date merchant.
Tribesmen of Gor page 135

In the neighborhood of noon, moving slowly, in the yellow and purple striped burnoose, with sash, water bags at the flanks of my kaiila, sacks of pressed-date brisk tied across the withers, kaiila bells ringing, calling attention to myself and my wares, I left the oasis.
Tribesmen of Gor page 135

I lifted the water bag from the pole, where it hung, outside the entrance of the tent.
One of the men cried out with rage.
I lifted the bag, drinking deeply. I replaced the plug and put back the bag, wiping my mouth with my sleeve.
Tribesmen of Gor page 143

We had scarcely moved, save to pass about a verrskin of water and a leather pouch of Sa-Tarna meal.
Tribesmen of Gor page 167

He took one of the water bags, which was still full, which held some twenty gallons of water.
"Carry this burden, Slave," he said.
"Yes, Master," she said.
He threw it over her shoulders. She gasped. She bent forward, her hands steadying the bags. It was heavy for the slight beauty. She almost lost her balance. If she dropped it, she would be much beaten.
Tribesmen of Gor page 178

The water which we had brought with us would not now be wasted but, by Tahari custom, emptied into the cistern of the inn. In this fashion the water is still used, and, to some extent, it saves the inn boys from carrying as much water as they might otherwise do, from the wells of the oasis, to the inn's cistern. In leaving an oasis, of course, similarly, as a courtesy to the inn, and its hospitality, the bags are commonly filled not at the cistern, but at the public well.
Tribesmen of Gor page 178

These hoods, used on the march to Klima, have a tiny flap, closed and tied with a leather string, at the mouth, through which, several times during the day, opened, the spike of a water bag, carried by kaiila, is thrust.
Tribesmen of Gor page 226

Proteins, meat, kaiila milk, vulo eggs, verr cheese, require much water for their digestion.
Tribesmen of Gor page 226

Water at Klima is generally carried in narrow buckets, on wooden yokes, with dippers attached, for the slaves. A talu is approximately two gallons. A talu bag is a small bag. It is the sort carried by a nomad herding verr afoot in the vicinity of his camp. Bags that small are seldom carried in caravan, except at the saddles of scouts.
Tribesmen of Gor page 242

"Are you still determined to enter the desert?" he asked.
"We are," I said.
"Your water is ready," he said.
Two men, with yoke bags, falling before their body, on each side, stepped forward.
"We sewed together several talu bags," said T'Zshal, "to make these."
I was stunned.
Tribesmen of Gor pages 266-267

Then he turned to another guard, one with a one-talu bag, who had been one of the men who had watched us, when we had been staked out. "Give them water," he said.
"You did not let me struggle in the straps," I said to the guard. "You saved the life of T'Zshal," said the man. "I did not wish you to die." Then he gave Hassan and me to drink from the water he carried.
Before we finished the bag, we passed it about the men, and T'Zshal, that each of us, there together, might have tasted it, the water from the same bag. We had, thus, in this act, shared water.
Tribesmen of Gor page 267

"The water is gone," I told him. I held the bag in such a way as to show him that no fluid remained within it. After his first drink, near the shelter trench, he had not had water.
Tribesmen of Gor page 278

The Kur watched the flight of birds. He followed them, for a day. He found their water. It was foul. We gratefully drank. I submerged the water bag I carried.
Tribesmen of Gor page 278

"Masters," said Peggy, approaching the table, kneeling beside it, bearing a tray. She placed the tray on the table, and removed three plates of bread and meat from it, a dish of assorted cheeses, a bowl of dates, a pitcher of water, a pot of black wine, steaming and tiny vessels of sugars and creams, and three goblets.
Rogue of Gor page 233

Twice he poured me water from a bag into a cup. He indicated the side of the cup from which I might drink. When a cup is shared masters and slaves do not drink from the same side of the cup.
Kajira of Gor page 216

No comments:

Post a Comment